3. Real Madrid 19 - 37
4. Real Betis 19 - 34
14. Athletic Club 19 - 21
17. Granada 19 - 17
- - - - - - - - - -
18. Real Mallorca 19 - 17
19. Deportivo la Coruña 19 - 16
20. Osasuna 19 - 15

Recent form: Real Betis (last five matches)
13/01 - Real Betis - Levante 2-0
10/01 - Real Betis - Las Palmas 1-0 (Copa)
04/01 - Real Zaragoza - Real Betis 1-2
22/12 - Real Betis - Real Mallorca 1-2
17/12 - Celta de Vigo - Real Betis 0-1

Recent form: Athletic Club (last five matches)
11/01 - Athletic Club - Rayo Vallecano 1-2
05/01 - Levante - Athletic Club 3-1
22/12 - Athletic Club - Real Zaragoza 0-2
15/12 - Real Mallorca - Athletic Club 0-1
12/12 - Athletic Club - SD Eibar 1-1 (Copa)

Last five league meetings in Sevilla
(Overall: 47 games, 10 victories, 15 draws, 22 defeats)
11/02/2012 - Real Betis - Athletic Club2-1
21/12/2008 - Real Betis - Athletic Club 0-1
15/03/2008 - Real Betis - Athletic Club 1-2
10/09/2006 - Real Betis - Athletic Club 3-0
29/04/2006 - Real Betis - Athletic Club 1-1

Record with the referee (Miguel Ángel Ayza Gámez - 13 matches)
Won: 6 - (46,15%)
Drawn: 2 - (15,38%)
Defeats: 5 - (38,46%)

Team news
Real Betis:
Noy yet available

Athletic Club:
Not yet available

(San José is banned for this game)

Player to watch out for
Our friend Beñat. :depress:

Conclusion
After we played last week on Friday versus Rayo, now we'll play on Monday in Sevilla which means the players have had a 10 day rest. That doesn't count for Betis as they play tonight in Madrid versus Atlético in the Copa, that could be an advantage for us.
Despite that, honestly, I'm not very optimistic. Betis are for me one of the surprises of the season so far, being in a Champions League qualification position and hunting for Real Madrid's third spot. With that they're on a winning streak having won seven out of their last ten games. Among the games they didn't win is a useless cup game on Las Palmas and a game versus the best team in the world Barça which they just lost nearly 2-3. Count with that our recent performances and it's time to get depressed.
The bottom five teams are all among three points, we're just three points above that group, if we don't watch out we're in the middle of that group within a few rounds which means we're in the middle of a relegation battle too. With these players that'd be a true shame if you ask me.
Anyway, let's keep the faith.

My prediction: 2-2

Aupa Athletic! :fero:

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
True Knoert....but if we're honest we have been in a relegation battle from day1.

We had a great chance to progress with 21 points after 16 games but played like ****ing eunucks in two home defeats and an away loss in which we had 65% of the ball and lost 3-1 after taking the lead.

Fair play to Donosti tonight...showed the courage and balls that we don't have.

For me it's perm any 3 of the current bottom 8 for the drop...the rest are safe and we're in the thick of it.

As I said last week we play 7 of the bottom eleven sides away and only 3 at home.

The way we are playing I don't expect us to beat anyone.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Finally, Bielsa gives the 4-2-3-1 formation a chance.

Gorka Iraizoz

Andoni Iraola - Borja Ekiza - Aymeric Laporte - Óscar de Marcos

Carlos Gurpegi - Ander Iturraspe

Markel Susaeta - Ander Herrera - Iker Muniain

Aritz Aduriz​

Bench:
Raúl Fernández
Jonás Ramalho
Jon Aurtenetxe
Igor Martínez
Ibai Gómez
Gaizka Toquero
Fernando Llorente

Could be wrong with Gurpegi or Itu being positioned a little further up, still this might be the most defensive tactic we've experienced under Bielsa. I really hope that however bad the result of this match might be he tries it a couple of more times, there are several reasons. Both Gurpegi and Iturraspe have been troubled with injuries and for Itu this is his first game in over a month so it's fair to say even this eleven is gambling.

If San José wouldn't have been suspended I think he would have had one of those two positions, he's been doing a good job as DM, some games great. I would have liked to see Gurpegi at CB next to Ekiza and also if Aurtenetxe had been in good form and 100% fit I'd rather seen him as a left back and De Marcos in Susaetas place.

Amorebieta is left out of the squad entirely, whilst Llorente is on the bench. It may be a tactic to put pressure on him to sign the contract. I read somewhere that the Etxeita signing is completely dependent on if Amore renews or not and with Etxeitas form it's not a bad idea to make the deal during this month instead of waiting until August when his contract expires at Elche. Luckily (hopefully) for us Xabier loves Athletic very much and other clubs might not have a chance of getting his signature if we give him an offer.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
At last a change of tack.

Worth trying this formation and trying to work on the counter rather than have possession and no threat.

The side lacks pace and everything is slung wide and crossed for Aduriz...we never play through the middle or commit players inside the penalty area...perhaps one reason we have so few penalty appeals and indeed awarded spot kicks.

Sides can sit off us safe in the knowledge that we aren't going to pass through them and if they mark our sole striker they can nulify our only threat.

We seem happy to play square passes and keep the ball without penetration.

Our main problem currently is that our opposition understand our playing system better than our own players.

We have a very difficult second set of games and have to start getting points soon.

Llorente needs to be incorporated into the offensive action more.

This ****ing pride crap is getting tiresome and affecting the moral of the team.He is a hugely popular individual within the group and his marginalisation is frankly counter productive.We are still paying his wages and despite what the internal hierachy of the club think we need him.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I would also start with with JA instead of De Marcos.

Obvious really and it's no surprise that Levante's opener and Rayo's first strike came down his flank where he was nowhere to be seen in a defensive capacity.

Unfair on players to operate out of position and starving other aspects of the formation of a balanced set up.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Our inertia in the transfer market is uncomfortable as well.

August was the time to reinforce the squad when players traditionally move...this window doesn't represent value for money since a lot of our prospective targets have been tied into long term deals meaning higher release clauses.

Am I the only one who actually realises the shit we're in?

·
Registered
12,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would have liked to see Gurpegi at CB next to Ekiza
I'm not too fond of Gurpe as a CB, I think he's more a defensive midfielder although he wasn't good at that position versus Levante. Also I'm quite impressed with Laporte so far.

and also if Aurtenetxe had been in good form and 100% fit I'd rather seen him as a left back and De Marcos in Susaetas place.
Agreed, although I think Susa in form (which he isn't now) should always play,

I read somewhere that the Etxeita signing is completely dependent on if Amore renews or not and with Etxeitas form it's not a bad idea to make the deal during this month instead of waiting until August when his contract expires at Elche. Luckily (hopefully) for us Xabier loves Athletic very much and other clubs might not have a chance of getting his signature if we give him an offer.
How about Etxeita, he's under contract at Elche, right? Do we have a first option buy back clause or something?

Worth trying this formation and trying to work on the counter rather than have possession and no threat.
As there need to happen something, I hope this will work. My hometeam VVV from the Netherlands started the season with offensive tactics and lost every game. Since we're playing extremely defensive we're getting more points and points. It's not nice to look at, but the points are more important.
Jus to say, sometimes it works.

Llorente needs to be incorporated into the offensive action more.

This ****ing pride crap is getting tiresome and affecting the moral of the team.He is a hugely popular individual within the group and his marginalisation is frankly counter productive.We are still paying his wages and despite what the internal hierachy of the club think we need him.
As for Llorente, I'd say we should accept any offer above €2 mln to sell him this transferperiod.

Our inertia in the transfer market is uncomfortable as well.

August was the time to reinforce the squad when players traditionally move...this window doesn't represent value for money since a lot of our prospective targets have been tied into long term deals meaning higher release clauses.

Am I the only one who actually realises the shit we're in?
Who in your opinion are our prospective targets?
Think we better first look to a very good performing Bilbao Athletic in Segunda B...

With that, if we really want a player we can afford it, we got €40 mln for Javi Mtnez!!!

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
The usual names Knoert.

I agree about Bilbao Athletic.....with us developement always has to be the answer in the long term.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Our main problem currently is that our opposition understand our playing system better than our own players.
Could not have said it better myself. Maybe it's due to the lack of motivation on using the demanding tactic which hasn't worked for an entire game the whole season. The regulars are too exhausted to play that kind of football but maybe it will change with the less busy schedule.

I'm not satisfied with Gurpegi as CB either Knoert, but he does well with Ekiza and that has been the most succesful pair at that position this season. Most importantly I think they would work very well if they were surrounded by original CB's such as Aurtenetxe on the left back who's got experience from that position and with San José and Iturraspe ahead of them I think that would be quite a solid defense. We know what we get from Iraola and his importance to the team is obvious in games we've played without him. Laporte is the third option for CB imo, better than both Ramalho and Amore at the moment.

Susaeta is maybe the most intelligent player we have but he's been overused for over a year and a half, it might be less obvious in his case since he doesn't take as many runs as the other offensive players does. He still hasn't reached his potential.

We had an option on Etxeita but it has expired by now, still I don't think he would cost more than 1 million euros. My personal opinion is that we need the players in BA to stay there until the end of the season to try and get the promotion which would be more important long term than any individual signing.

On Llorente it's obvious his presence no matter what his team mates think of him, is disrupting the morale and unity of the team. Athletic is a long-term club and now Llorente is a short term player. The best solution is getting rid of him and signing Kike Sola, we need an extra striker for next season anyhow. Sola wants to play for Athletic and is the third best Basque in that position. Sola would definately get a good amount of goals considering the chances that are created for strikers in this team. Agirretxe is good but he would be expensive even if he isn't a given first choice at Reala. I think Llorente can only reach a good form if he's a starter, maybe he even needs to be "the star". Unfortunately this will never happen, very poor handling by the board which has cost us many points this season.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Agree GT.

Re Llorente he has never given less than 100% wearing our shirt.

The fact we electeted idiots to turn down his perfectly reasonable salary requests is sad.

Also,as has been mentioned by several ex players,the playing out of his contract talks in public was a disgrace.We have never done this before and it was designed to smear the player.

Thats not to mention the staged protests orchestrated by the club which toilet paper publications like Marca are only too happy to publish.

Fernando Llorente is not the enemy.

Staggered any one has backed the board re his treatment...It's a ****ing disgrace and anyone who thinks his wage demands were unreasonable need to get back on their spaceship..

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
Staggered any one has backed the board re his treatment...It's a ****ing disgrace and anyone who thinks his wage demands were unreasonable need to get back on their spaceship..
I voted for this president in this forum,because i wanted to get rid of the macua and willing for a change,and i guess many people were with same ideas.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts