3. Real Madrid 18 - 36
7. Rayo Vallecano 18 - 28
14. Athletic Club 18 - 21
17. Granada 18 - 16
- - - - - - - - - -
18. Espanyol 18 - 15
19. Deportivo la Coruña 18 - 15
20. Osasuna 18 - 14

Recent form: Athletic Club (last five matches)
05/01 - Levante - Athletic Club 3-1
22/12 - Athletic Club - Real Zaragoza 0-2
15/12 - Real Mallorca - Athletic Club 0-1
12/12 - Athletic Club - SD Eibar 1-1 (Copa)
09/12 - Athletic Club - Celta de Vigo 1-0

Recent form: Rayo Vallecano (last five matches)
07/01 - Rayo Vallecano - Getafe 3-1
20/12 - Rayo Vallecano - Levante 3-0
16/12 - Valencia - Rayo Vallecano 0-1
10/12 - Rayo Vallecano - Real Zaragoza 0-2
30/11 - Osasuna - Rayo Vallecano 1-0

Last five league meetings in San Mamés
(Overall: 13 games, 9 victories, 3 draws, 1 defeat)
28/08/2011 - Athletic Club - Rayo Vallecano 1-1
17/11/2002 - Athletic Club - Rayo Vallecano 2-1
16/12/2001 - Athletic Club - Rayo Vallecano 1-1
26/11/2000 - Athletic Club - Rayo Vallecano 4-2
09/04/2000 - Athletic Club - Rayo Vallecano 1-2

Record with the referee (Pérez Montero - 3 matches)
Won: 2 - (66,67%)
Drawn: 1 - (33,33%)
Defeats: 0 - (0%)

Team news
Athletic Club:
Not yet available

(Laporte is banned for this game)

Rayo Vallecano:
Noy yet available

Player to watch out for
In my opinion their very creative attack with Piti, Trashorras, Lass and Baptistao could be a real threat. :scared:

Conclusion
So, we've got the honour to welcome this utterly sympathic working class team from Vallekas in San Mamés already tomorrow evening to kick off the 19th matchday of La Liga. Probably many fans will follow Rayo and support the team and create a big party and nice atmosphere together with our fans.
Despite that, I fear Rayo will be a very difficult opponent for us, although there are similarities between the two who could give us a chance. Just like us, Rayo want to play attacking football which should leave some space at their back. Players like Susa, De Marcos, Muniain and Herrera should be able to use that space.
I expect a nice match to watch for the neutral viewer with some nice attacking football from both sides. We should be aware we don't lose this one because then we're in trouble once again looking at the table...

My prediction: 2-2

Aupa Athletic! :fero:

·
Registered
12,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I strongly believe that we're gonna win this one, no matter the sympathy to the Vallecas side. A motivated Athletic won't face any problem I reckon.
Saw them a few times lately and they quite impressed me, their high position in the table is no coincidence... also they're playing the kind of football we'd like to play and I fear they're doing that better at the moment. Despite that it will be a very open game probably, I can't believe Rayo will come to San Mamés just to defend.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Saw them a few times lately and they quite impressed me, their high position in the table is no coincidence... also they're playing the kind of football we'd like to play and I fear they're doing that better at the moment. Despite that it will be a very open game probably, I can't believe Rayo will come to San Mamés just to defend.
Exactly, I believe that their style fits better to us than any other more defensive team. Don't know why, I'm confident about that game!

·
Registered
12,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Exactly, I believe that their style fits better to us than any other more defensive team. Don't know why, I'm confident about that game!
Agreed, it's better to face an attacking team instead of a defensive one, hopefully it will turn out to be an advantage for us.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Line-up:

Gorka Iraizoz

Andoni Iraola - Borja Ekiza - Fernando Amorebieta - Óscar de Marcos

Mikel San José

Markel Susaeta - Ander Herrera - Iker Muniain - Ibai Gómez

Aritz Aduriz​

Bench:
Raúl
Ramalho
Gurpegi
Iturraspe
Igor Martínez
Toquero
Llorente

I read somewhere that there has been talk of a change of tactic using two defensive midfielders, if we lose tomorrow hopefully we might get to see it in the next game against Betis away.

·
Registered
12,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So San José recaptured his place from Gurpe...

Anyone knows when Aurtenetxe will return?

·
Fantasy Liga Txampion
11,971 Posts
Halftime: Athletic 0-0 Rayo

Athletic is not doing anything special but at least forcing a team which normally plays good football as Rayo to focus on 'dirty football' must deserve some credit I guess...

This Athletic is rusty and lacks fluidity, it clearly lacks some spark.. The fans are quite mad at the ref... I think right now Athletic's spark can only come from the fans pushing hard motivated in a way by the ref.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
This is getting tedious.The same ****ing story every week with one embarrassing and pathetic performance blending into another.

We have dominated the last three matches we have played in and been beaten in all three ergo the system currently being employed isn't working.

We had a great chance with home games against Zaragoza and Rayo to move up the table at the end of the first cycle of games.As it is we are firmly in a relegation battle and tbf that is where we deserve to be with the garbage we are playing on the field.

We lack pace and penetration and create little.We are still playing sloppy short passes at the back and gifted Rayo a sitter shortly after their first goal.

We have scored 7 goals in our last 10 games and conceded way more than double that.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Something about Aduriz in pain in the last few minutes on Elcorreo. He cannot be injured at this stage. Or is it destined to be Llorentes going away gift to the fans this spring? A few goals and some good games like in the old days?

I don't really beleive it myself...hard to have any kind of hope now :depress:

·
Registered
133 Posts
Bring back Athletic Club Bilbao! Someone, please. Did you see Iraolas face after the final whistle? Breaks my heart to see it. And I only watched the last 10 minutes.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I think most worrying is the continued defensive shambles..we currently have the worst defensive unit in 63 years at the Athletic at this stage of the season.

Our home form was always going to be pivotal,given our poor away efforts,so defeats like the last two at San Mames impact even more.

Worth noting that of the ten teams directly around us we have to play seven away and only three at home.

That stat is incredibiliy worrying....

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
I think most worrying is the continued defensive shambles..we currently have the worst defensive unit in 63 years at the Athletic at this stage of the season.

Our home form was always going to be pivotal,given our poor away efforts,so defeats like the last two at San Mames impact even more.

Worth noting that of the ten teams directly around us we have to play seven away and only three at home.

That stat is incredibiliy worrying....
Hmmm verry worrying :-(

1 - 20 of 20 Posts