--. Gaizka Toquero 1
--. Igor Martínez 1
--. Fernado Llorente 1
--. Ander Herrera 1

·
Fantasy Liga Txampion
11,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Aduriz is suspended. Gurpegi is injured for one month. Iraola, Muniain, Aurtenetxe and Amorebieta are all doubt for this game. Bielsa is training with the following lineup, if Andoni doesn't recover seems like we're having a (small) surprise in the right back position:

Gorka Iraizoz

Gaizka Toquero - Mikel San José - Borja Ekiza - Xabi Castillo

Ander Iturraspe

Markel Susaeta - Óscar de Marcos - Ander Herrera - Ibai Gómez

Fernando Llorente​

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Aduriz is suspended. Gurpegi is injured for one month. Iraola, Muniain, Aurtenetxe and Amorebieta are all doubt for this game. Bielsa is training with the following lineup, if Andoni doesn't recover seems like we're having a (small) surprise in the right back position:

Gorka Iraizoz

Gaizka Toquero - Mikel San José - Borja Ekiza - Xabi Castillo

Ander Iturraspe

Markel Susaeta - Óscar de Marcos - Ander Herrera - Ibai Gómez

Fernando Llorente​
**** we are thin on the ground!

I thought this was a sure win given that they have more probs on and off the field than us...if that is possible.

They are dangerous and are the fourth highest scorers in La Liga but do have a poor back line....not necessarily any worse than ours though.

Tight game given our squad....I predict 1-1 which is far from what we need.

Hope to be wrong but I rarely am.:howler:

·
Fantasy Liga Txampion
11,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Seems like Muniain, Amorebieta and Aurtenetxe will make it. Iraola probably won't. Although today De Marcos trained as rightback and Toquero in De Marcos' place.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
We're draining Muniains potential when this is the point in his career that he could be developing the most if he got a rest once in a while, it's absolutely catastrophical. The same destiny awaits Aurtenetxe who's already had two serious injuries prior to his 21st birthday. Killing the potential of our two most promising players in combination with having a terrible season.

There is no doubt we need at least two signings available at least for rotation roles. Not only because several players are in need of rest to regain full fitness or form but also to create competetion for the first team places. With Gurpegi out San José will become the third choice CB, not his best position by any chance. Amorebieta has always been somewhat of a liability but this season has been his worst for as long as I can remember. Aurtenetxe will probably have to play as CB a couple of games and this season he hasn't been able to handle that position. Ramalho could get his chance pretty soon since he seems to be in somewhat of a trans between the first team bench and a given starter for BA.

Already rumours have surfaced of Etxeita who could join for a very low price and former Osasuna B promise and current Legia defensive leader Iñaki Astiz. According to my Legia friend he formed the best defense in the Polish league for many years together with legend Żewłakow last season, they kept the best defensive record in Poland. However he added they have not done very well defensively in European matches against stronger opposition. Both players are out of contract in June.

A new centreback could make Aurtenetxe a pure left back, give San José a shot at a different position, provide competition to Amorebieta, Ekiza and Gurpegi when he returns also giving more competition/rest for Iturraspe and possibly make Bielsa consider changing the tactic to a more defensive 4-2-3-1 a change of tactic is at least a much at this moment. That would also give more competition and rest for the 4 offensive midfielders.

The second signing could be Sola. According to some media Llorente seems to be trying to provoke a transfer in January. I hope the board could think long term and sell him, the atmosphere will only get worse otherwise. Two impact signings could provide an awakening for the other players to help them realize what it means to start a match for Athletic Club.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
And, of course, we should sign Beñat. He is one of are ours and a brilliant player.
Maybe so, but he will also cost at least 10 million euros. Are you certain he could master Iturraspes role alone?

He's got a foot that we definately need for set pieces no doubt but he can be kind of slow and is maybe not the most clinical long ball passer. I think we first need to change tactic or try someone else in Iturraspes position.

·
Fantasy Liga Txampion
11,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Haven't seen much of Etxeita lately. He is starter in one of the top teams in Segunda, so he can't be doing bad, but I don't see him as an important player for Athletic.

I understand Bielsa is taking a look at him, since Amorebieta still hasn't renewed and Xabi is the kind of Bielsa defender. He is very good in the air and a good passer. It wasn't until his last season in Lezama that he became a CB, he had always been midfielder... often attacking midfielder.

But then he is slow and gets into problems, I think he is quite similar to San José. Obviously without Mikel's current lack of form, confidence and concentration but also without Mikel's age and potential.

Ok, if you tell me that he comes for free and just for one or two seasons to help until the generational change in defence takes place I can understand it, but still, we have Aurtenetxe, Ramalho and Laporte...and even though he has never been one of the top Lezama players, Albizua's current season in Bilbao Athletic is quite impressive.

·
Fantasy Liga Txampion
11,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Let's invest the money well, there are very good players in Lezama, we shouldn't stop their progression by signing average players. Just take a look to the lineup vs Arsenal, many of these will be important in Primera..;)

Kepa Arrizabalaga

Markel Etxeberria - Jonás Ramalho - Aymeric Laporte - Urtzi Iriondo

Iker Undabarrena

Ager Aketxe - Unai López - Iurgi Oteo - Iñaki Williams

Guillermo Fernández​

·
Fantasy Liga Txampion
11,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
With Gurpegi and Iraola injured, considering that Aduriz won't play either, unless there is a change I think the captain tomorrow will be....nº9.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Thanks for the update. We obviously need a centreback very soon if Amorebieta doesn't sign a new deal. He wants 2 million a year, the board is offering 1.8. One could consider it a silly difference but demands from other players will soon surface if we raise the average wage.

We've been waiting form more than 7 years for a good left back so I'm 100% for using Aurtenetxe in that position until Saborit or someone else is ready to take the position. Jon hasn't been doing well defensively this season as well.

Everything in the back line depends on Ekiza since he's the most stable centreback we've seen probably this last decade. Bielsa must realize that his calm, concentration, marking skills etc will give the defense stability we haven't seen this season.

I agree with you that we shouldn't sign players when we have a lot of promise in Lezama but this situation has been a crisis all season and could turn even get worse if Amore does a Llorente next year.

Also the central defenders in BA should be firmly established and stable before we promote them especially since BA is involved in a potential promotion battle this year. (BTW Eitb are showing Bilbao Athletic - Tudelano from Navarra today at 18:00)

Albizua is soon to be 24 and he could be given a chance yet still I value a team full of Segunda players to pick from next season enormously, more important than a couple of signings and a more important investment for the future.

·
Fantasy Liga Txampion
11,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Iraola recovered, Bielsa has given the lineup for tomorrow:

Gorka Iraizoz

Andoni Iraola - Borja Ekiza - Fernando Amorebieta - Jon Aurtenetxe

Ander Iturraspe

Markel Susaeta - Óscar de Marcos - Ander Herrera - Iker Muniain

Fernando Llorente​

·
Fantasy Liga Txampion
11,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The Athletic Club line-up: Iraizoz; Iraola, Ekiza, Amorebieta, Aurtenetxe; Iturraspe, De Marcos, Herrera; Susaeta, Llorente, Muniain. On the bench Raul, Toquero, San Jose, Ibai, Ismael Lopez, Castillo and Ramalho.

The Deportivo line-up: Lux; Laure, Aythami, Roderick, Ayoze; Abel Aguilar, Alex; Bruno Gama, Valeron, Pizzi; Riki. On the bench Marc; Manuel Pablo, Vazquez, Dominguez, Bodipo, Camuñas, Insua.

To be refereed by Alvarez Izquierdo.

C'mon! :fero:

·
Fantasy Liga Txampion
11,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Depor's CB today are very weak, hope Fernando wants to play today because he can own them. Aranzubia is out, Lux is not used to play lately, we should 'try' him since the beginning.

Attention to the wings Bruno and Pizzi and obviously mr.magic himself: Juan Carlos Valerón.:star:

·
Registered
947 Posts
I feel pretty uncomfortable with Llorente on the pitch. They way he treats the club is not nice (just how he refuses to give a press conference and so on and so forth).

We MUST win!! I just hope...

·
Registered
668 Posts
According to El Correo there was an incident between HNT and Riazor Blues. Thought they would be on better terms with each other?

1 - 20 of 64 Posts