Saturday 04 October 2008, 22:00 CET
Camp Nou, Barcelona
Primera División

Referee:
Eduardo Iturralde González (Basque)

Previous meetings:
2007-2008: 3-0 (Deco, Messi, Xavi)
2006-2007: 1-1 (Ronaldinho, Agüero)
2005-2006: 1-3 (Torres 2, Maxi, Larsson)
2004-2005: 0-2 (Torres 2)
2003-2004: 3-1 (Saviola, Nikolaidis, Ronaldinho, Luis García)
2002-2003: 2-2 (Luis Enrique 2, Correa, Otero)

Goalkeepers:
01: Grégory Coupet
25: Leo Franco

Defenders:
03: Antonio López
04: Mariano Pernía
05: Johnny Heitinga
17: Tomáš Ujfaluši
21: Luis Perea
28: Álvaro Domínguez

Midfielders:
08: Raúl García
09: Luis García
11: Maxi Rodríguez
12: Paulo Assunção
16: Éver Banega
19: Miguel de las Cuevas
29: Keko
30: Joshua

Strikers:
10: Sergio Agüero
14: Florent Sinama-Pongolle

Manager:
Javier Aguirre

·
Registered
44,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, so Aguirre has called up 18 players for the game against Barcelona on Camp Nou. The biggest news this time around is that Maniche won't be travelling with the rest of his teammates to Barcelona because of that back-injury he suffered against Getafe last week.

Seitaridis and Pablo won't travel with the rest of Aguirres squad either because of injuries they picked up against Sevilla last weekend. Simão and Forlán are of course injured so they were never a option in the first place. Ignacio Camacho is together with Spains U19's as they're trying to qualify for the Elite Round of that competition.

All these injuries have opened up some spots, so Aguirre has decided to take three canteranos with him to Camp Nou on Saturday. Álvaro Domínguez (CB), Keko (RW) and Joshua (DM/CM) are the three players from Atlético B that will join the first team. I just hope Keko will get some minutes against Barcelona but he'll most likely watch the game from the bench.

As for the line-up; Nothing has been announced besides that he'll continue to play Coupet and ten other players on Saturday. I'm hoping for some surprises.

·
Registered
44,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Confirmed line-up

Coupet

Perea - Heitinga - Ujfalusi - Antonio López

Maxi Rodríguez - Paulo Assunçao - Raúl García - Luis García

'Kun' Agüero - Sinama Pongolle.​

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
From the 5th minute on I am not interested at the result anymore ...

But in our players ... what happened ?!

Maxi injured **** **** ****!!!

IMO we should sub Kun just to be sure he won't have an injury!

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
Shame on Aguirre and the players. The coach still has not figured out how to play against this Barca team and sticks with his idiotic 4-4-2. He should have packed the midfield with either Camacho or Banega to start with.

Selecting Coupet ahead of Leo is another mistake. Not that Coupet made any major horror today, but he just goes down too early..probably due to his age.

Ujfalusi for some reason was always running away whenever the ball or a player with a ball comes near to him..and those gaping holes at the center of the field. The penalty should have been well avoided.

Perea again proved why he is incompotent at the right side.He makes Seitaridis look like god.

Assuncao was trying to figure out whether it was Xavi’ or Messi’ shadow and before he could realise even the shadows are gone. Raul Garcia showed us a film on “how to run like an headless chicken”.

Pity that Maxi was injured. Need to wait to know the extent of it on what looked like a groin injury.

Sinama & Aguero did not get any service.

:thmbdown: for Aguirre for his tactics.

·
semi-retired
18,554 Posts
Commiserations guys.

Playing away, and going 3-0 down by the fourth minute is not something easy to come back from, not to mention the confidence it gave to your opponents.

2 weeks break coming up, plenty of time to figure out what went wrong and to get back on track :thumbsup:

·
Messiah
9,580 Posts
Good luck vs Madrid guys we were better tonight.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Very good time for a break here, but the good thing is that no matter what, the players will be really fired up, men RM visits, so the mentality should really be back there.

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
I still cannot believe this result, i am sickened by it, Aguirre needs to get a f ucking grip of reality, everytime we play Barca his tactics are awful and costs us the game.
We are now in the position where we should NOT be getting beat by this scoreline at anytime.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Shame on Aguirre and the players. The coach still has not figured out how to play against this Barca team and sticks with his idiotic 4-4-2. He should have packed the midfield with either Camacho or Banega to start with.

Selecting Coupet ahead of Leo is another mistake. Not that Coupet made any major horror today, but he just goes down too early..probably due to his age.

Ujfalusi for some reason was always running away whenever the ball or a player with a ball comes near to him..and those gaping holes at the center of the field. The penalty should have been well avoided.

Perea again proved why he is incompotent at the right side.He makes Seitaridis look like god.

Assuncao was trying to figure out whether it was Xavi’ or Messi’ shadow and before he could realise even the shadows are gone. Raul Garcia showed us a film on “how to run like an headless chicken”.

Pity that Maxi was injured. Need to wait to know the extent of it on what looked like a groin injury.

Sinama & Aguero did not get any service.

:thmbdown: for Aguirre for his tactics.

I agree with every single point you have made in this post. Aguirre has never convinced me since he arrived. I feel like we got to the CL purely on the talent of or players. We win DESPITE Aguirre, not because of him. This game was flat out embarrassing. Reminiscent of a Germany-San Marino exhibition game that I saw a couple of years ago where Germany scored like 11 goals. Regardless of injury, there is absolutely no reason for this team to play this way. Juande Ramos please come save us!

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
I agree with every single point you have made in this post. Aguirre has never convinced me since he arrived. I feel like we got to the CL purely on the talent of or players. We win DESPITE Aguirre, not because of him. This game was flat out embarrassing. Reminiscent of a Germany-San Marino exhibition game that I saw a couple of years ago where Germany scored like 11 goals. Regardless of injury, there is absolutely no reason for this team to play this way. Juande Ramos please come save us!
I don' t think we will change the coach..and of all people Juande. Right now he would be happy in Aguirre' position. In the midst of all the ecstasy this season this one match brought to us the bleak reality of the shockers of both the coach and players.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts