·
Registered
44,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sunday 28 September 2008, 21:00 CET
Estadio Vicente Calderón
Primera División

Referee:
Manuel Enrique Mejuto González (Asturia)

Previous meetings:
2007-2008: 4-3 (Maniche, Agüero, Maxi, Jurado, Luis Fabiano 2, Zé Castro OG)
2006-2007: 2-1 (Maxi 2, Renato)
2005-2006: 0-1 (Antonio Puerta)
2004-2005: 3-0 (Salva, Torres, Antonio López)
2003-2004: 2-1 (Torres, Nikolaidis, Reyes)
2002-2003: 1-1 (Torres, Moises)

Ok, so Atlético are going into a very tough period where Aguirres men are supposed to play eight games in the next 35 days. Sevilla are first out this weekend on Vicente Calderón. They're currently 5th in Primera División after four completed rounds, Atlético are one point ahead of Manolo Jiménez and his team, but they recorded a very good 2-0-win against Espanyol in midweek after goals by Enzo Maresca and Javier Chevantón.

This generations diving sensations of Primera División, Diego Capel and Jesús Navas were both included in Manolo Jiménez starting line-up against Espanyol, they were also instrumental in Sevillas win.

Sevilla haven't allowed a single goal in their last three games against Espanyol, Real Betis and Red Bulls Salzburg. Atlético have however won all of their competetive games at Vicente Calderón with 4-0, including demolitions of teams like Schalke 04, Málaga and Recreativo, we're however decimated because none of Forlán, Heitinga, Simão or Maniche will be participating in this game. Aguirre insisted on calling up the 16-year old right-winger and the future of Atlético de Madrid together with the likes of Borja González, Jorge Pulido, Cedric and Rubén Ramos; Sergio Gontán Gallardo, more known as Keko (born 27 December, 1991).

Line-up: Grégory Coupet will start in goal for Atlético while Seitaridis will form a back-four together with Ujfaluši, Perea and Antonio López. The central midfield will consist of Raúl García and Éver Banega, who will make his first start as a Atlético de Madrid-player. Captain Maxi will play on the right flank while Simão will be replaced by Luis García on the left. Sergio Agüero will be playing upfront together with Florent Sinama-Pongolle who's scored 4 goals in the same amount of Liga-games for Atléti.

Bench: Leo Franco, Mariano Pernía, Pablo Ibáñez, Paulo Assunção, Miguel de las Cuevas, Ignacio Camacho and Keko.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Zoric do you know what happened to Assuncao? I haven't seen him play yet. I'm not a huge fan of R. Garcia as a starter. On the other hand, I'm glad to see Ever get a shot.

·
Registered
44,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Aguirre is rotating his players and Paulo Assunção played against Getafe in midweek where he also scored a very unlucky own goal. Raúl García is Aguirres player, so it doesn't come as a surprise that he's playing him against Sevilla.

Assunção usually takes care of Atléticos defensive midfield alone when playing which allows Maniche to attack a bit more, but with he can't play both Raúl García and Assunção against Sevilla because there would be a lack of creativity if he did, that's why Paulo stays on the bench and Éver will be playing.

I hope we'll see Keko in action in the latter stages of this game though, that kid is the definition of a tornado as they call it in Spain :howler:

·
Registered
44,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, so some additional stuff that Aguirre talked about in the press-conference before the game:

He confessed that Sergio Agüero isn't 100% fit and has a knock which he'll carry into the game against Sevilla. Not very good news..

Heitinga isn't fit enough to play yet and that's why Seitaridis will start, the original idea was to start with Ufo and Heit in central defence while Perea would be playing at RB. Aguirre said that Heitinga and Maniche will most likely feature against Marseille on Wednesday though which is good news considering all the injuries Atlético has on keyplayers at the moment.

Éver seems to be fitting in better and better according to Aguirre, now let's hope he does well :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
I think you'll win, even with Simao absent. Pongolle and Kun is more than enough to break down Sevilla's defence(even though they have improved it over the last few games)

It shall also be interesting to see how Banega does.

·
Registered
44,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Watch when Keko starts bombing them down the right flank :proud: Ok, a couple of minutes would be a dream come true for a 16-year old, still really cool that he's in the squad.

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
Looking at the bench I think Keko will get a run in. We have mid week game coming up so it is important that few key players get some rest.

·
Registered
44,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
HORRENDOUS PERFORMANCE.

It's scary how much this team is suffering when Simão isn't available, this is something we've got to live with though.

I just hope Heitinga and Maniche are back from their injuries and will be available against Marseille.

·
Registered
44,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, so I go to the Colchonero-forums and read that a guy is suggesting that Luis García should get the Ballon d'Or, suddenly I'm not really dissapointed or pissed off any longer :howler: :proud:

..oh well, Marseille next up :thumbsup:

·
Honourable Mention, October 2011 Photo Contest
18,041 Posts
HORRENDOUS PERFORMANCE.

It's scary how much this team is suffering when Simão isn't available, this is something we've got to live with though.

I just hope Heitinga and Maniche are back from their injuries and will be available against Marseille.
just Simao?...Forlan, Maniche, Heitinga, is said Aguero too is not fully fit...that's too much to deal with, while still players like Pernia or Anotnio Lopez calibre still are in the team, and Maxi is far from the regular Maxi...if sthg needs Aleti now, is goals and wins, goals with the arse, but goals at leats to pass the storm and regroup...

I didn't see the match, heard that Banega was good, mainly confident for being in such rsponsability, but still he also got injured? what the ****? haha, Aleti siempre Aleti

·
Registered
44,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
just Simao?...Forlan, Maniche, Heitinga, is said Aguero too is not fully fit...that's too much to deal with
Yes, Simão is one of the most important players offensively alongside Forlán and Agüero. Banega did well, it wasn't his fault that there was no movement upfront and yes, Heitinga gives this team another dimension in terms of playing the ball from his position to the flanks, but none of Perea or Ufo were bad.

They had like three chances and scored a goal on one of them while Atlético looked very poor. What can you do when your best players get injured?

I just hope Agüero won't travel with Argentina and play in the WC Qualifiers, the guy needs a rest.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Banega looked pretty good IMO. So he left due to injury? I was wondering why Aguirre subbed him when so many other players wee doing quite poorly. Luis Garcia is terrible. Miguel should definitely be ahead of him in the pecking order. Every time he comes on he shows some spark, even if his right foot is there mainly for aesthetic reasons. Aguero was alone on an island. Partly because of injury and partly because Aguirre played him as an out-and-out striker and Sinama-Pongolle as support stiker when it clearly should have been the other way around. Coupet did look kinda slow getting to that free kick. It was hardly and unstoppable strike. Hurry up and get back Simao and Forlan...and you too Fatiche.

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
Banega was injured and then taken out. Sevilla were making sure that the 2 Argentine midgets were given proper attention.

·
Registered
5,600 Posts
please no more of this stupid asshole coupet....he is the worst ever :yuck: :yuck: put franco back in there and we are fine

·
18,041 Posts
Banega was injured and then taken out. Sevilla were making sure that the 2 Argentine midgets were given proper attention.
Is not wise to not give them proper attention, they know it, they should not complain, they received that attention since "kids". Is the ref task to stop more than anything constant fouling, Sevilla did more than ok stopping them.

·
18,041 Posts
Banega looked pretty good IMO. So he left due to injury? I was wondering why Aguirre subbed him when so many other players wee doing quite poorly. Luis Garcia is terrible. Miguel should definitely be ahead of him in the pecking order. Every time he comes on he shows some spark, even if his right foot is there mainly for aesthetic reasons. Aguero was alone on an island. Partly because of injury and partly because Aguirre played him as an out-and-out striker and Sinama-Pongolle as support stiker when it clearly should have been the other way around. Coupet did look kinda slow getting to that free kick. It was hardly and unstoppable strike. Hurry up and get back Simao and Forlan...and you too Fatiche.
Lusi Garcia is valid as an squad player, he even had good perfomances as sub lately, seems he just sucked donkey balls this match.

Antonio Lopez and Pernia for instance are really poor players for Aleti.
Aleti is having too many injuries in key players and is heading to get Aguero too tired soon, maybe at some moment last year non stop season from Aguero will start to have some impact on him, he is young, obviosuly a rare physical specimen, like any special player, but not an alienj

1 - 20 of 20 Posts