44,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saturday 13 September 2008, 20:00 CET
Estadio Jose Zorilla
Primera División

Referee:
Luis Medina Cantalejo (Sevilla)

2007-2008: 1-1 (Maxi, Ogbeche)
2003-2004: 3-1 (Musampa, Makukula, Zapata, Sousa)
2002-2003: 3-1 (Sales, Aganzo 2, José Mari)
1999-2000: 1-0 (Javi Jiménez)
1998-1999: 1-0 (Victor)
1997-1998: 2-1 (Santi own goal, Peternac, Kiko)
1996-1997: 0-3 (Vizcaíno, Caminero, Santamaría own goal)

·
Registered
44,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

Luis García: “If we want to be among the best we have to be consistent”

Catalan Atlético de Madrid player Luis García appeared before the press on Thursday and said that “it’s been an atypical week because of the absence of the international players. Now our teammates will start to arrive and we have to take advantage of the time that we have to train with them.”

“We have a large roster and three competitions to play, we’ll all have our chances. The three points at stake on Saturday against Valladolid are very important because they’ll allow us to stay up at the top and maintain the consistency that we want,” he stated.

Luis acknowledged that the upcoming match in Pucela is going to be special for him. “It’s always nice to return to the places where you’ve played. For me it’s going to be a special encounter because I still have good friends there; I remember that time affectionately,” underscored the footballer.

“I see the team as being very focused . We all know that we have to go to Valladolid with the intention of playing well and winning. There are high quality players at this Atlético and we have to go at one-hundred per cent to keep earning points. Each match is an opportunity to make yourself a spot in the team, that’s where you see the competition and that’s a good thing,” he pointed out.

On a personal level, Luis García said that “I feel very good physically, I didn’t finish last season well, but this is another completely different one. I think that the pre-season matches went really well and the manager has confidence in me, and that’s very important for a player because your work is rewarded.”

“It’s very important for this team to maintain consistency. If we want to be among the best and for others to rate us, we have to be consistent and not have ups-and-downs. We can’t only value the Champions League; it’s also fundamental to play a good role in La Liga,” he stated.
With regard to the possible changes that Javier Aguirre may make in the starting line-up against Valladolid, Luis García left it clear that “the coach is the one who decides. Whoever he decides to play, it will be because it’s good for the team. Now we have to leave our individual concerns aside and focus on the interests of the group.”

“I would be lying if I said that I don’t long to be back in the Spanish national team, but it’s been a long time since my last match with them. Right now it’s not one of my priorities, but it could be a long-term goal. To make it to the national side I have to work very hard in my team and that’s what we’re doing right now,” he concluded by saying.

clubatleticodemadrid.com

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
Luis García: “If we want to be among the best we have to be consistent''

Sums it up really, Ill take 1-2 here, Kun and Forlan

·
Registered
44,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
01: Grégory Coupet
02: Giourkas Seitaridis
03: Antonio López
04: Mariano Pernía
05: Johnny Heitinga
08: Raúl García
09: Luis García
10: Kun Agüero
11: Maxi Rodríguez
12: Paulo Assunção
14: Florent Sinama-Pongolle
17: Tomáš Ujfaluši
18: Maniche
19: Miguel de las Cuevas
20: Simão
21: Luis Perea
22: Pablo Ibáñez
24: Ignacio Camacho
25: Leo Franco

Forlán will not be in the squad for this game because his arrival from Ecuador has been delayed until 22:00 CET tonight, a storm hinders him from making it in time. Kun is arriving to Barajas at 14:00 CET so that means he'll be available.

This opens up for Sinama-Pongolle or Luis García, most likely the first one. Ujfaluši and Heitinga have recieved some knocks but will most likely be playing anyways, the option is to give Pablo a game, remains to be seen though.

Éver Banega stays in Madrid as expected and he'll most likely be given a chance next weekend, just like AS mentioned a while back. Ángel Bernabé will not travel to La Pucela either.

·
Registered
5,928 Posts
Its a hard matchup... Atleti have by far the better team, but they have Ogbeche.

·
Registered
44,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, so Heitinga didn't travel along the rest of Atléticos squad because of problems with a muscle which he strained against Macedonia in mid-week so Aguirre will have to give either a exhausted Perea the chance to play or Pablo (most likely).

Valladolid have eight players out for this game; García Calvo, Jesús Rueda, Iñaki Bea, Alexis, Alberto, Cifu, Canobbio, Kike and Pedro León, so they have a lot bigger problems than Atlético, but we haven't won in Valladolid since 1996-1997 so it's tough to predict the outcome of this game.

·
Registered
14,722 Posts
losin 2-0 atm

·
Registered
44,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, so Coupet made a misstake on the first goal, something of a misstake anyways. Atlético were close to score twice, once when Maniche shot and then when Asenjo saved Pernías try, then they get a strange penalty after Perea appereantly brought down Vivar Dorado and they managed to score on it, Medina Cantalejo wanted to give them something after sending off Pedro López.

He got sent off after two yellow cards, missed the first one but the second one was for diving and rightfully so. Strange game so far, the absence of Kun and Forlán is pretty big while neither Luis García nor Sinama-Pongolle are showing anything upfront.

Mendilibar (Valladolids coach) was sent off after protesting, the people on José Zorilla are really one-eyed though :howler: Ok, so let's bring on el Kun now and turn this around, we've done it before against Valladolid, time for another 4-3..

:howler:

·
Registered
44,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Paulo comes off and el Kun is on, Aguirre just can't do without him.

·
Registered
44,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
GOOOOOOOOOOL!!!!!!

KUN KUN KUN!!!!!!

:D

·
Registered
44,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Maniche plays a nice pass through the center to FSP who holds back his defender and then the portuguese fires off the shot which Asenjo saves and Kuns comes up with a sitter by scoring on Asenjos rebound, 2-1.

·
Registered
44,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Valladolid wins, 2-1.

Absolutely horrendous performance but let's hope it'll be better against PSV on Tuesday.

We definitely need Heitinga and Forlán back, let's hope Heit is ready

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
Awful performance, Coupet seems to be making more and more mistakes these days, I dont know if he is getting complacent but it will have a negative effect

·
Registered
62,100 Posts
Your defenders initiated nearly every attack.

That is a massive problem.

·
Honourable Mention, October 2011 Photo Contest
18,041 Posts
que golazo casi hace el Pichi

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Your defenders initiated nearly every attack.

That is a massive problem.
Our defenders allowed one shoot on the target in the 70 minutes after the pk!

So what?!

If you look at how the game started (until min 20th) than you just could have been happy with a draw ... now we lost ... but who cares?!

PSV is important and the game was lost after 20 minutes because of the ref and two stupid erros from us!

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
Our defenders allowed one shoot on the target in the 70 minutes after the pk!

So what?!

If you look at how the game started (until min 20th) than you just could have been happy with a draw ... now we lost ... but who cares?!

PSV is important and the game was lost after 20 minutes because of the ref and two stupid erros from us!
Josh is lamenting about the lack of creativity from midfielders there.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts