Jornada 15

Estádio José Alvalade, Lisbon,
2 January 2016, 21:45 CET
49,382 att. (Best ever attendance)
Ref: Hugo Miguel (AF Lisboa)

x

SPORTING CP 2-0 Porto
(Slimani 27', 85')

I'm just about to leave home to Alvalade to watch this one. I'm confident that we will beat them and return to the top of the league.

Here's the list of players called:

SPOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORTING!!!! :musik:

·
Sportinguista
1,344 Posts
Sporting 2-0 FC Porto FT

A goal in each half by Islam Slimani

Great performance by Sporting! so happy and we are back in the leadership of the league. But still more difficult games ahead.

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just got home with no voice but with a huge smile. :D

Great game by Sporting showing once again that we are the best team in this country. This league is very far to be won but we surely are on the right path to do it.

·
Registered
62,100 Posts
A completely justified and thorough win from the superior team.

I voiced my concerns about Julien Lopetegui before the season began and they continue to be proven true. He is a scared manager. He tries to invent when invention isn't needed, he doesn't motivate, and his 'solutions' are usually quite desperate. An example is how Andre Silva apparently wasn't good enough to get a debut when we were winning 3-0 the week before, but he comes on as a sub in his first league game losing to the top team in the league. Nonsensical, desperate move without any planning or thought put into it.

I don't think Jorge Jesus is a great manager, and I will say that I feel, player for player, Porto have the best squad in the country quite comfortably, but JJ is an incredible motivator. That is his huge advantage. JJ has massive, huge grapefruits while his rival peers barely have raisins. He inspires his players, rallies them up, and gets results and top performances out of players with much lower ceilings.

I've seen enough of this season to believe that Sporting will indeed win the title, for a multitude of reasons. JJ is the best manager out of the big 3, the squad is extremely motivated and hungry for titles, Benfica are in transition, and Porto have an absolutely awful, clueless manager. I truly believe that if Porto made a coaching change right now to a guy like Vitor Pereira or Paulo Bento or anybody half-decent that the title could still be won, but with JL all life has been sucked out of the team.

Anyways, this isn't meant to be a moaning fest by me. You guys played very well and won by a deserved margin, proving you are the best team in Portugal this season and the most serious contender for the title. Well done and Happy New Year.

·
Sportinguista
1,344 Posts
So sporting will win cause porto and benfica are crap

Thanks but personally , I think sporting winning will become more regular in the coming years . It's clear that BDC is changing the landscape of the game in portugal.

PDC is not the PDC of old . Doyen manager has more of a say in porto than PDC does these days .

·
Sportinguista
1,344 Posts
As for porto having a better squad im not so sure

Sporting strikers slimani Gutierrez and montero are superior to Portos strikers

Sporting also has a better midfield and better centre backs IMO.

·
Registered
928 Posts
So sporting will win cause porto and benfica are crap

Thanks but personally , I think sporting winning will become more regular in the coming years . It's clear that BDC is changing the landscape of the game in portugal.

PDC is not the PDC of old . Doyen manager has more of a say in porto than PDC does these days .
No, even if Porto had a competent manager, it would not mean that Porto would have beaten Sporting. You guys have a great team but Porto would have stood a much better chance with another coach. As far as who is better or not, I picked Porto at the beginning of the season but it is very close. As far as Benfica is concerned, we are keeping close enough so that if if Porto and Sporting should stumble we can upset. Benfica is in transition. Sporting's success or lack of success this year has no bearing on how well Benfica play. It is on your play on the field

·
Sportinguista
1,344 Posts
Benfica will be champion this season mark my words

They have the best attack and the refs are convienantly (of course ) calling all the games
In their favor

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for your post Josh. It's good to see you grew up and decided to show up after losing and not just after winning. Happy New Year for you too.

I agree that Sporting is the team playing best football and for that reason is, right now, the most serious contender to the title. I do think Lopetegui is the main obstacle Porto faces in their run to win the league and I think it will be tough for Benfica to manage to keep on winning because luck is not infinite.

One small detail should always be kept in mind when comparing the three title challengers: the budget for football in the current season.

Porto: €70M
Benfica: €56M
Sporting: €25M

Never forget these.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts