Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Liga Portuguesa 2013/2014

Round 18

Estádio da Luz, 11.02.2014, 20:15 CET (NEW DATE)
Ref: Marco Ferreira (AF Funchal)

vs

Benfica vs SPORTING CP

This is always the biggest game of the season regardless of the position of both teams but this time it's also because of the position of both teams. It may not be decisive but it surely is very important. A win for any of these two would be a massive boost, a draw would blow some life to Porto's dead body.

Our opponents played very well outside the pitch in the preparation for this game so everything seems to be in place to another circus act. In terms of football they also managed to rest for 3 months their only player that can score goals against us, Cardozo, just to make sure that he was fit for the big clash.

On our side we will be missing two regular starters. Jefferson was victim of a horrible tackle against Académica that will keep him one month out of the pitches. A tackle that was not even punished with a foul - this by the same ref that gave a yellow card to William at the 92nd minute of the game for a shove in midfield.

The lack of William Carvalho, suspended, as expected, for this game, will be massive. He is the clock that makes our game tick and it will be very hard to find another player in our squad that can play that role. The clowns from the red tainted Lisbon sports press have during the week guaranteed that the place would first be filled by Eric Dier, then by Gérson Magrão and now Adrien. I suppose they are expecting Sporting to play with 3 DMs then. Interesting.

Anyway, no matter who will be starting in the number 6 position will have a tough job but nothing that we can't cope with. We already faced Benfica twice this season and they were never superior to us in the two matches.

In the list of players called young CB Rúben Semedo is back and Héldon makes his debut.

These are the 19 lions called by Leonardo Jardim:

Goalkeepers: 1 Rui Patrício and 22 Marcelo Boeck.

Defenders: 41 Cédric, 30 Iván Piris, 3 Maurício, 15 Eric Dier, 35 Rúben Semedo and 5 Marcos Rojo.

Midfielders: 23 Adrien, 10 Gérson Magrão, 6 Vítor, 8 André Martins, 11 Diego Capel and 18 Carrillo.

Forwards: 28 Wilson Eduardo, 9 Slimani, 17 Fredy Montero, 36 Carlos Mané and 20 Héldon.

·
Administrator
25,353 Posts
the game hasnt even started and you guys are already whinning about the referee.....unbelievable:D

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the game hasnt even started and you guys are already whinning about the referee.....unbelievable:D
Yes, it is innit? I wonder why? It must because we are so afraid of mighty Benfica, for sure.

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The official line-up is out and Jardim comes up with a big surprise...

1 Rui Patrício
41 Cédric - 3 Maurício - 5 Marcos Rojo - 30 Iván Piris
15 Eric Dier
8 André Martins - 23 Adrien - 20 Héldon
9 Slimani - 17 Fredy Montero

A tactical change that surely wasn't in JJ's plans. Héldon is the key player in this new tactical drawing on his first ever game for us.

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Subs: 22 Marcelo Boeck, 35 Rúben Semedo, 10 Gérson Magrão, 11 Diego Capel, 36 Carlos Mané, 18 Carrillo and 28 Wilson Eduardo.

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
LOL...chunks of the ceiling are falling on the pitch just before kick off because of the wind.

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sweet...managed to get a Serbian stream so that I can avoid those pathetic commentators from Chicken TV :yes:

·
Administrator
25,353 Posts
they are actually not that bad....i thought it would be way more biased than it is

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is really weird. No explanation whatsoever coming from Benfica or LPFP about the real reason for this delay.

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
they are actually not that bad....i thought it would be way more biased than it is
Yes, if you compare them with those from SportTV they sound exactly the same...which says a lot about SportTV's professionalism.

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How is it possible this happening in what is supposed to be the best stadium in the country, which is the stage of the CL final this season? :rollani:

·
Administrator
25,353 Posts
This is really weird. No explanation whatsoever coming from Benfica or LPFP about the real reason for this delay.
its the foam, its falling all over the pitch

and i dont think the situation is going to improve, its quite stormy over here

im affraid the game may have to be postponed:(

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
its the foam, its falling all over the pitch

and i dont think the situation is going to improve, its quite stormy over here

im affraid the game may have to be postponed:(
This is ridiculous. The weather has been bad for months, surely those responsible for checking the security of the stadium should be aware that this type of things could happen.

·
Administrator
25,353 Posts
yes, its an awkward situation, and im sure nobody is happy with it

my bro is there :wallbang: , i would be crazy pissed if this happened with me

it is red alert today though, its quite bad, there were talks about postponing the game all day long

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yes, its an awkward situation, and im sure nobody is happy with it

my bro is there :wallbang: , i would be crazy pissed if this happened with me

it is red alert today though, its quite bad, there were talks about postponing the game all day long
But that's exactly what I meant. The weather has been terrible this whole Winter, how is it possible that those responsible for maintaining the stadium (Benfica? LPFP? Civil Protection?) didn't make sure this would not happen?

They have just announced that the game was cancelled and it is not yet known the new date and time for it.

·
Administrator
25,353 Posts
something went wrong for sure, but with that foam flying around for sure it was dangerous for both players and the public

it sucks, i was looking forward for the game

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
something went wrong for sure, but with that foam flying around for sure it was dangerous for both players and the public

it sucks, i was looking forward for the game
Now a huge chunk of metal fell on one of the stands, fortunately nobody was sitting there. Pathetic really.

·
Sportinguista
1,344 Posts
I hope the game is later in the season so we can probably play william in this game,

and adapt heldon etc.

I liked the lineup LJ selected though.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts