Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Apparently for some sportinguistas this is the most important match of the season and some even claim that by winning it we would "save our season". Obviously I am not one of them and I can only feel sorry for people that think so. In fact I feel that even in the remote possibility that we win tonight this game will have very little importance in the overall picture of what has been so far the worst ever season I've witnessed by my club. I don't believe a win would "moralize" the squad and trigger a spectacular comeback. The only thing that could do that would be to have elections called as soon as possible and to see somebody with new ideas to take over the club.

Anyway, back to the big derby, I am not optimistic even if tradition gives us some good odds. Why? Because on the contrary to us, Benfica is stable, they have a balanced squad, they have a coach that knows Sporting much better than our own coach does and probably they will even have the ref on their side, even if that is probably not going to be necessary.

From our side we have fans going to the stadium more interested in jeering the players than in supporting them and a club in total chaos.

In spite of all this we are Sporting Clube de Portugal and my hope is that at least some of the players tonight realize what that means.

The starting line-up picked by Vercauteren is as follows:

Rui Patrício

Eric Dier - Boulahrouz - Marcos Rojo - Insúa

Elias - Rinaudo

Pranjic

Carrillo - Ricky van Wolfswinkel - Diego Capel​

Bench: Marcelo Boeck, Cédric, Xandão, Gelson Fernandes, Izmailov, Labyad and Viola.​

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Two Portuguese players in the 22 that will start tonight's derby. That's really a pure disgrace.

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First great chance with Insúa sending a missile from a free-kick, well saved by Artur.

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICKYYYYYYYYYYYY 1-0

·
Registered
62,100 Posts
GOOOOOOOOOOOOOLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

RICKY!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
62,100 Posts
Beautifully done! RvW creates the opportunity for holding up the ball and then opening up Diego Capel. Nice cross into the box, and a killer side footed finish!

HAHA! Nice, keep it up!

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A great work by van Wolfswinkel launching Capel on the left and a great cross is finished by Rvw inside the box. We've been playing great so far and it's no surprise that we are leading after this first 30'

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dangerous shot by Cardozo at 37' but Rui Patrício is the name of our keeper.

·
Registered
62,100 Posts
Dangerous free-kick coming up for Benfica a few yards outside the box. Lima went down like a sac of potatoes.

·
Registered
62,100 Posts
Cardozo sends it to the moon. :D

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It seems that I've underestimated Vercauteren so far because if there is something that this first half showed was that he does seem to have studied very well Benfica's way of playing as that is the key for the way we've managed to cancel them.

We're playing mostly on the counter, mainly using the speed of our left flank with Insúa and Capel in great style constantly leaving Maxi Pereira behind. Ricky van Wolfswinkel is having a great game too, creating danger from almost nothing, apart from starting and finishing our only goal so far. Another reason for the good game we showed in midfield was the fact that tonight - finally! - we are playing with only one DM, which is how we should always be playing with this current squad.

The second half will be hard because we will be more tired but hopefully the players will keep these first 45' in mind and believe that we can get the 3 points from this one.

·
Sportinguista
1,344 Posts
Haaahaha benfica couldn't beat sporting b or barcelona b
No way they could beat sporting a lmao

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Great raid by Carrillo leaving Elias alone in front of Elias but as always he lets the keeper save.

·
Registered
62,100 Posts

·
Registered
62,100 Posts
How is that no foul? Capel was mugged!

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I knew we were going to be tired in this 2nd half and that's how we conceded this goal. It looks like Rojo was the last one to touch the ball although Cardozo was there to finish it.

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Garay hits the post at 66'. We are dead tired and I don't see any subs being made.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts