Sunday, 18 December 2011, 20:15 CET
Estádio Cidade de Coimbra

Académica vs SPORTING CP

vs

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Big game today in Coimbra against one of the good surprises of this season. This is a team that crushed Porto 3-0 for the Cup and shows some solid football supported on a lethal counter attack.

Domingos, who knows this club, this stadium and many of these players very well, as he worked here before, called back the 4 usual starters rested during the European mid-week game and can count with those that were cup tied. He said in the pre-match interview that this is a game where we cannot afford losing points and he is entirely right. It's in this type of games that you win titles so let's go for it!

List of players called:

Goalkeepers: Rui Patrício and Marcelo Boeck.

Defenders: João Pereira, Daniel Carriço, Anderson Polga, Oguchi Onyewu, Evaldo, Santiago Arias and Emiliano Insúa.

Midfielders: Stijn Schaars, Diego Capel, Bruno Pereirinha, André Santos, André Martins and Elias.

Forwards: Valeri Bojinov, Ricky van Wolfswinkel, André Carrillo and Diego Rubio.

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Official starting line-up:

Rui Patrício
João Pereira - Onyewu - Polga - Insúa
Daniel Carriço
Elias - Schaars
Pereirinha - van Wolfswinkel - Diego Capel

Bench: Marcelo Boeck, Santiago Arias, Evaldo, André Santos, André Martins, Bojinov and Carrillo.

FORÇA SPORTING!!!!!!!!!!!! :fero:

·
Registered
62,100 Posts
Filipe, did you see Adrien's bomba from Monday? :eekani:

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Filipe, did you see Adrien's bomba from Monday? :eekani:
Yes. :scared:

That actually made me think that we should, when loaning out players to teams that will face us, make sure that our players will not be able to face us. We already lost 2 points this season against Olhanense because of Wilson Eduardo and tonight we are facing a team using two of our players in the starting XI, being one of them their best player. :mad:

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Incredible offer by Berger to RvW who also incredibly missed the goal.

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1-0 to Académica at 28' by Eder on a typical goal for them: simple and well done.

The game is very even but now we have to be better than so far.

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Huge pressure by Sporting trying to equalise before the break but the ball doesn't seem to want to go in. There was a indirect free kick inside their box for dangerous play not called by the ref though.

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Académica 1-0 SPORTING at HT

A very balanced first half an hour with only one clear goal chance gifted by Académica but wasted by an unrecognisable van Wolfswinkel - he missed two or three other chances later on. Académica scored a good goal in their first, and only, goal chance and after that it was just Sporting, even if never managing to be clinical enough in the last moment.

In spite of many of our fans being happy with Domingos' option of fielding Carrico as the replacement for Rinaudo as DM, I go on not being convinced. It's true that he is clearly a better defensive option than André Santos but he is a complete zero in what regards making the attacking transitions or even supporting the offensive midfield. I think that was the main reason for our difficulties in creating real danger in the first half an hour, and that against a smart and well organised team like Académica can be fatal. I hope Domingos realises that in the second half.

·
Registered
62,100 Posts
Gotta love Academica's attacking intent.

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Gotta love Academica's attacking intent.
Yeah, I also loved that in their recent Cup game but actually tonight I don't think they got too many chances. The problem is that they don't need that many chances to score.

First half stats:
13-21 attacks
5-9 shots
41%-59% ball possession

·
Registered
62,100 Posts
Eder and Marinho both missing chances to increase the lead.

Great save by Rui Patricio on Marinho inside the penalty area.

Academica the better team in this second half, looking dangerous every time they get forward.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts