Liga ZON Sagres 2011/12
Round 12

Saturday, 10 December 2011, 21:30 CET
Estádio José Alvalade, Lisboa

SPORTING CP vs Nacional

vs

See less See more
#2 ·
After a couple of weeks break for European and domestic cup matches we are back in League action to face Nacional, the only club in Portuguese football with whom we do not have an official relationship, mostly due to the fact that they are run by mobsters.

Spirits are high in Alvalade up to a point that the club is anticipating that this match will have the highest attendance in every competition in official matches so far this season. Domingos warned that we have zero margin of error from now on in the league and I expect the team to come up to the game decided to wrap it up as soon as possible.

Apart from the long list of injured players we will also not be able to count with Schaars who is suspended after 5 yellow cards. André martins should be the one picked to fill his absence. It is also expected that Carrillo will start instead of Bojinov on the right flank of our attacking trio.

Here's the list of players called by Domingos:

Goalkeepers: Rui Patrício and Marcelo Boeck.

Defenders: Anderson Polga, Oguchi Onyewu, Evaldo, Santiago Arías, João Pereira and Emiliano Insúa.

Midfielders: Daniel Carriço, Diego Capel, Bruno Pereirinha, André Santos, André Martins and Elias.

Forwards: André Carrillo, Valeri Bojinov, Ricky van Wolfswinkel and Diego Rubio.

FORÇA SPORTING!!!!!!!! :fero:

#3 ·
This should be a good game. Definitely expect you guys to win, but Nacional always put up a good effort against you guys, and Rondon/Mateus can expose a slow backline.

Filipe, what do you think Bojinov's best position is in DP's formation/tactics?

#4 ·
I honestly haven't been impressed by Bojinov so far. I don't think he is "worst than Postiga", as some of my club's fans have been saying in supporter forums that I usually read, but he definitely looks very rusty when compared to the general high tempo of the rest of our attacking players.

Still, to answer your question, I think that when he played on the left side of the attack, and Capel went to the right, he had some good details. I feel he is a useful player when a team features a 4x4x2 formation but in the current 4x3x3, and surrounded by players about 20km/h faster than him, he is struggling.

#5 ·
Line-up:

Rui Patrício
João Pereira - Onyewu - Polga - Insúa
Daniel Carrico
Elias - André Martins
Carrillo - van Wolfswinkel - Diego Capel

#12 · (Edited)
SPORTING 1-0 Nacional at HT

A very good first half from Sporting playing at a very high tempo against a Nacional that did not come to park the bus thus left enough space for us to get them on the break.

Carrillo and Capel have been, as expected, very active, but it was when they swapped sides that we have started to be more dangerous. Onyewu, upfront and in the back, Elias and Carrico have all also been very good but the man of the match so far is our very own André Martins who is ruling that midfield as he if he would have been playing there for years. :proud:

We need to keep up the tempo but we should be a bit more calm when in the last third as there is enough space left for that.

#14 ·
We didn't start this second half defending well in the midfield and maybe because of that Domingos makes the first sub.

Pereirinha IN for Carrillo at 56'

#20 · (Edited)
SPORTING 1-0 Nacional - FT

A difficult second half as Nacional came strong and almost took over of the midfield. Domingos reacted well and made the substitutions needed to regain control.

A great game, again, by Diego Capel, this time breaking the kidneys of a LB. André Martins and Carrillo were also good (in the first half mainly) and Onyewu was a true emperor, in both boxes.

We now have a very tough series of matches in the league, away at Académica, home with Porto and away at Braga but meanwhile there are hopes that at least some of the many key players which are now injured can start being available.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.