Xtratime Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ewald Lienen got sacked :eekani:. Today the Amateur team coach Christoph John held the training. President Albert Caspers said that it wasn't an easy decision but they wanted the best for the club and didn't have confidence in Lienen any longer.

Lienen was at the club since 1999 and leaded the club to promotion. Rumours says Funkel will take over Lienens job, just like he did in Rostock aswell :rollani:.

Imo that is a very bad decision, since I rate Lienen as one of the best coaches. He just hasn't the players (although someone around ;) sees them all in the national team :D) to achieve more than he did. Getting Funkel would just make this ridiculous decision perfect. :undecide:

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Well, now the way to the national team is free for Cullmann, Kurth & Cichon :D

Nah...this decision really makes me sad - Lienen already was one of my favourite coaches before joining 1.FC Köln (and soon turned into THE favourite coach for me).

I can understand the decision (just look the stats from january - december 2001)...though, Caspers promised some weeks ago that he'd even go to division two again with Lienen. But that's how it works in professional football... Anyway, a bit disappointing.

Also strange that it happens now - first they let Lienen sign a new striker, and after the first match after the break they sack him. They either should have done that before the winter break, or better, they should have waited another two or three matches.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Oh, forgot something:

Who should replace Lienen?
The only solution in my eyes would be Funkel - definitely not Pagelsdorf, etc.
This would also be the only logical decision - Funkel didn't only take over Lienens job at Rostock, he also did the same at Duisburg before :cool:

·
Registered
15,061 Posts
Lienen was indeed a very good coach... however, I like Funkel aswell, despite his lack of success lately, I consider him as an appropriate and good coach for a team like Cologne, I think he can save them, probably even more if he gets the time.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Somehow I still hope this is just a fake to blame the stupid newspapers around cologne. First 1.FC Köln announces to sack Lienen, and then, on wednesday 19:00 at Hertha BSC Berlin, there's somehow Lienen back on the bench...but I know this won't happen :(

·
Registered
21 Posts
jez said:
though, Caspers promised some weeks ago that he'd even go to division two again with Lienen.
He even still told in on Sunday. Basically I can understand the decision to fire him, but not at this point of the season. It was obvious that Lienen was down with his nerves already the last matches before the winter break when he was insulting some journalists (which is understandable but may not happen). His successor can't do anything but work in the psychological sector. The winter break and the possibility to have other influence on the team is gone. If Lienen did mistakes there, then there is no way to make them undone.

·
Registered
756 Posts
It's a bit sad, because he has achieved so much with Köln. But he made mistakes and things didn't get better. They should have fired him during the winter break, because the new coach doesn't have enough time to change things, but during the winter break you have the time to do so.
The faults he made were buying Marco Reich, who couldn't live up to his potential and putting Lottner on the bench. Now they don't have one strong player who can lead the team anymore.
It's really strange that he got money to spend and is fired now. Köln has to look out that they don't end up in the 2. Bundesliga with financial troubles.

·
Registered
21 Posts
To spread some rumours (which I personally don't believe): Köln wants Röber, so he could leave Hertha. Steevens would take over his job in Berlin and Neubarth will become Schalke coach already now. Don't think that it's realistic as long as Schalke doesn't suffer under a crisis. My favourite still is Funkel, though I don't know if he wants to do this job.

·
Registered
17,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
olaf, it could be possible, but Röber denied :D.

Today Daum said he is ready to take over Köln and he could easily get out of his contract with Besiktas anytime. Personally I would like to see Daum in the Bundesliga again, the best speakers left (Daum, Lorant, now Lienen :cry: ;)) and it would be fun to see him back in the league. And I couldn't think of a better available club for him than Köln. :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Daum, Funkel and Röber, Get one of them in soon before the season fall's apart for Köln.
Nice win in the cup though.:)

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
OK, here the current rumours:

- Friedhelm Funkel
- Jürgen Röber
- Bernd Krauss
- Christoph Daum
- Christoph John
- Hannes Löhr
- Winfried Schäfer (for the new season)
- Michael Henke
- Udo Lattek (huh?)
- Friedel Rausch
- Frank Pagelsdorf

At the moment Hannes Löhr seems to be the favourite

·
Registered
21 Posts
Okay, to structure the rumours a bit (source: kicker):

Christoph John stays coach as long as he is successful. If it lasts until the end of the season, then either he becomes coach for longer term (which is not very probable) or Jürgen Röber or a foreign coach are favourites. If John is not successful in the near future, then Michael Henke is favourite. If he or Bayern don't agree to it, then Hannes Löhr is the next option. Krauss doesn't want to; Funkel, Pagelsdorf and Daum are not wanted.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts