Xtratime Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Game: 02/10/04 - Concepcion, Chile - 07:30PM local time

Cruzeiro hits the road and will be facing a tough Chilean team that will present a tougher challenge than Caracas. The stadium is already sold out for this one, especially because of Concepcion's very good starts for the local and libertadores tournaments.

Cruzeiro needs to improveon the form they have shown sofar on the Minas gerais tournament and on the first game in the Libertadores. Rivaldo still has not shown his talent and the team itself seems to be sleep walking through the games. Though with Alex in midfield even with this form may be good enough to win.

Watch for Luis Figueroa one of the most promising players in Chilean football.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Possible line ups:

CRUZEIRO: Gomes, Maurinho, Cris, Edú Dracena, Leandro, Claudio Maldonado, Felipe Melo, Martínez, Alex, Rivaldo y Guilherme.

UNIVERSIDAD DE CONCEPCION: Nicolás Peric, Fernando Solís, Rodrigo Rain, Oscar Espínola, Hugo Droguett, Joel Reyes, Luis Pedro Figueroa, Freddy Segura, Juan José Rivera, Carlos Verdugo y Ricardo Viveros.

·
Banned
23,575 Posts
Will they show this game in Minas? I know Coritiba is on SportTv, but I think they should at least show the games of brasilian champ on open tv.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Fox broadcasted the game for all the country and Sportv is showing it now.

Fantastic performances by Gomes, Maicon, Cris and Alex.

Tomorrow I'll post more, I'm also tired now and I have to wake up 6 hours from now.

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
brazil_forever said:
rivaldo is playing like crap! looks like cruzeiro has made a bad investment
Give him time! He hadn't played a whole football match for almost a year before joining Cruzeiro and he has been away from South American football for seven years.

·
Banned
37,734 Posts
Brazil forever,

give luxemburgo 3 more weeks training Rivaldo and you will see what he is worth;)

I think and HOPE Cruzeiro win this Libertadores..... Santos or Sao Paulo CANNOT WIN IN ANY CASE!!

·
Banned
23,575 Posts
Ze da Fiel said:
Brazil forever,

give luxemburgo 3 more weeks training Rivaldo and you will see what he is worth;)

I think and HOPE Cruzeiro win this Libertadores..... Santos or Sao Paulo CANNOT WIN IN ANY CASE!!
:tongue:

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Rivaldo still isn't in his top form. He did not play well yesterday.

He's a top player, and I think sooner or later he'll get better. The problem is that Cruzeiro's counter-attack style that received so much praise last year isn't exactly what Rivaldo does better. He's a little bit slow and holds the ball too much, sometimes screwing-up Cruzeiro's fast plays.

Another point is his individualism. At the same time that this is what made Rivaldo one of the best players in the recent years, it can also be a bad thing. Especially now, that he's eager to score his first goal and wasn't able to achieve it in the first SIX games.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
Ze, you surprise me lately

I am discovering a new side of you, at least for me

About the game in general and Rivaldo in particular. To say he is playing like crap is exaggerated.

The investment is not bad, because the presence of Rivaldo with the Raposa is giving the Club the media attention they wanted. I am sure, anyway, that Rivaldo did not come to Crizeuro having in mind selling shirts. He is not Davis Beckham. He came to play football.

He will be OK, I am sure of it. It is not easy for a player who is accostumed for many years to play further from the area to adapt to the role Luxa planed for him. But he is very motivated, and he will be allright if some injury does not occure , heavens forbid.

About the game: His most positive play was the one when he heeled to Maicon and the latter passed to Alex to produce the first golaço;

The worst thing were some 4 or five times he lost the ball at the beginning of the 2nd half, enabling counter attack of the Chileans. This pitch was very small and any snatched ball found his way very quickly to the Gomes area. Thank the Lord, no goal came out of it thanks to Gomes and co.

The eternal dilema, to go for it or to pass, it is very easy to look fromthe tribune of from you house in front of the TV. If you succeed either way and a goal is scored, you are a hero, if you pass and the ball does not reach the leg or the head of you team mate, everybody ask, why didn't you go for it. If you go for it, everybody says, why didn't you pass , you indvidualist idiot.

The problem of Rivaldo is not that he is not passing when some of you think he should. His problem is that he does not posses the penetrating force that he used to have in Barça and in the Mundial.

In the mundial and in Barça he gained passing to team mates and/or scoring by himself. He knew when to do the first or the second choice. His team mates new him well and knew what to expect. Can anybody accuse Rivaldo of egoizm in the mundial? His passes helped Ronaldo to score some of his goals and gain the glory. (Together with Ronaldinho of course)

In Barça je had facilitated hundreds of passes of gold which Luis Enrique, Patrick Klivert and others sometimes used to score, sometimes, too many, they lost the chances. Sometimes Rivaldo (In Barça, especially after Figo left) tried to do it all alone out of desperation after seeing that his team mates lost the opportunities. If he was in form and inspired , "his errors usually finished with goal" as Jorge Valdano wrote in his book. IF he has a bad day, usually Barça lost....

In Cruzeiro there is not such a risk,IMHO, because it is a team with very good players, first of all Alex, who reminds me of Rivaldo in his best days in Barça. Rivaldo can be usueful for now by attracting 2 or 3 defenders to him , enabling others to go thrugh, untill he gain his form again and become less tense. He is too eager now, which is logical, after the humiliation he suffered in Italy by Anceloti

It is a piece of good news, nevertheless , that he and Maicon got along very well in this game.

I was wondering though , seeing him play more to the right side, not natural for a canhoto. Sure you can explain it to little ignorant me.

Some off topic about Anceloti

Last year Anceloti sent his reserve team to Rome to lose the Cup final. He was interested only in the Champions. Two Brazilians, Rivaldo and Serginho, spoiled his plans and won a faboulous 4:1 in the olimpico, wnbling Milan to raise that cup.

Today Milan reserves without the capital Brazilians , espacially Dida, came to Olimpico and were humiliated by Lazio 0:4 . Nesta´s face on tne bench told the story.

Another point is Gillherme which lost too much weight too quickly and lost also some of his muscle mass and force. Now he is working on it.

There is a real possiility that these problems will be solved before the real complicated rivals appear in the Libertadores.

Hope i was not too long.

J

:cool:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts