1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Libertadores Cup Quarterfinal: Sai Caetano - Penarol

Match up

Keepers
Sao Caetano: Looked pretty good against Catolica. It will not be easy to beat them.
Penarol: Elduayen is dependable but not rock solid
Advantage: Sao Caetano

Defense
Sao Caetano: This defensive unit is a wall out there but can be exposed on the flanks.
Penarol: Led by Bizera Penarol defensive unit has looked OK, but they better be on their game specially in the air to contain Brandao and company
Advantage: Sao Caetano

Midfield
Sao Caetano: Robert and Anailson run all over the field trying to take the ball forward with great dribbling and passing.
Penarol: their experience in this are is fundamental Bengochea is IMO one of the all time greats in Uruguayan football and Cedres is an inspiration out there as well
Advantage: Penarol

Forwards
Sao Caetano: Somalia and/or Brandao are very limited technically but they are burly and very strong in the air.
Penarol: the forward line led by Gimenez is average at best most of the goalscoring comes from the midfield
Advantage: EVEN

This is a series that could go either way but penarol experience and history in the tournament IMO will give them the edge.

Winner: Penarol

·
Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
94,488 Posts
Without looking at Gabe's prediction I had already chosen Peñarol too ... The Charruas IMO are getting stronger by day and should advance past a hard but beatable Sao Caetano .

;)

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
Re: Libertadores Cup Quarterfinal: Sai Caetano - Penarol

Gabemar said:

This is a series that could go either way but penarol experience and history in the tournament IMO will give them the edge.

Winner: Penarol

A fair assessment and a valid line of thinking, but if you go by recent experience and history Penarol have been mediocre. That said, I think they can beat Sao Caetano if they can get a few goals. I hope so, anyway. It would be nice to see a Uruguayan team make the latter stages of this event.

·
Canonized
37,734 Posts
AZULAO all the way!!

Gabe,
Daniel is a bit shacky in the back for Sao Caetano, but the difference of both teams (i know crap about Penarol) will be the manager...Picerni is simply BRILLIANT;) History does not count much when your playing against Sao Caetano, they've beaten everyone in Brazil in any stadium, in big decisions!;)

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
Penarol will be missing have lost the services of D. Rodrigues & maybe J. Bizera due to NT duties this will be a huge blow to there chances.

But of course I voted for them anyway VAMOS CARBONEROS!!!

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Penarol 0 - Sao Caetano 0 1st HALF

Starting line ups:

Penarol:
Adrian Berbia
Serafín García
Luciano "Cafú" Barbosa
Nicolás Rotundo
Robert Lima
Gabriel Cedrés
Pablo Gaglianone
Fabián Canobbio
Pablo Bengoechea
Carlos Bueno
Daniel "Miliki" Jiménez

Sao Caetano
Silvio Luiz
Serginho
Daniel
Dininho
Rubens Cardoso
Marcos Senna
Adaozinho
Aílton
Robert
Brandao
Anaílson

·
94,488 Posts
min 13

Boys and Gals ...this is 0x0 as we type and read ;)

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
Wooooooooooo Hooooooooooooooo

Penarol 1 Sao Caetano 0

Come on boys put in at least one more

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
GOALLLL URUGUAYOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Penarol 1 - Sao Caetano 0 1st HALF

Robert Lima scored to give the aurinegros the advantage.:eek:

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Penarol 1 - Sao Caetano 0 FINAL

Great victory for Penarol but will they be able to hang on to their advantage in Paulista land????? It will be tough to say the least:groan:

·
94,488 Posts
Peñarol Get Leg Up With Win Over Sao Caetano

05/09/2002.

Uruguayan club Peñarol made a 24th minute Robert Lima goal stand up in Montevideo to take the first leg of their quarterfinal series 1-0 over Sao Caetano. Pablo Javier Bengoechea was a creative force on the evening for the home side, and he set up Lima's crucial goal.

The Azulao, meantime, were sluggish in the attack and their strategy of long balls never fooled Adrian Berbia or the Peñarol defense. Jair Picerni inserted Jean Carlo, Somalia and Marlon in hopes of creating an equalizer, but it never came.

The Brazilian club must take the return leg in five days time by at least two goals to book a place in the Copa Libertadores semifinals.

LINEUPS
Peñarol
Berbia (GK), Cafú, García, Rotundo, Rodríguez, Cedrés, Gaglianone (Casanova), Canobbio, Bengoechea (Souza), Bueno and Jiménez.
Technical Director: Gregorio Pérez

São Caetano
Sílvio Luiz (GK), Russo, Daniel, Dininho, Rubens Cardoso, Marcos Senna, Serginho, Adãozinho, Aílton (Somália), Robert (Jean Carlo)and Brandão (Marlon.
Technical Director: Jair Picerni

Half way there on My Peñarol Choosing !!!!!!!!!! :happy:

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
I dont know if this victory will be enough. It will take a better effort in Brasil for Pena to go through.

From what I read Berbia was the man of the match & very much responsible for the win. When they say thing like that about your goalie in a home match its not a very good sign.

The good thing is that we didn't give away an away goal, soif we score won in Brasil, it will be very valuble.

·
94,488 Posts
Tonite we find out which Team is eliminated..Unfortunately here in the States the game is only available on PPV .... Hopefully I'll be able to get a radio station with the play by plays out of Uruguay..Thats always better than nothing.

;)

·
94,488 Posts
Sao Caetano advances on the penalty kicks .........

Like I said when U Catilica was eliminated .... If you cant perform properly something as basic as scoring on your penalti kicks...you dont belong in a soccer pitch !!!!!

Congrats to the Brazucas .. Even thought I was pulling for Peñarol.

:lala:

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Great victory for Sao Caetano, though I have to say their first goal did look offside to me. They are a tough little team though!!!!! Congrats:D

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
Man I cant belive we lost. I didnt know the away goal doest count in South America, if it did we would be through. But still we should have done better with the penalties.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts