Xtratime Community banner

Who will win Quarterfinal match up Boca Juniors vs Olimpia?

• Boca Juniors

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Olimpia

Votes: 2 40.0%
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Match Ups

Keepers
Boca: Abondancieri was superb against El Nacional look for him to continue his hot form.
Olimpia: Tavarelli always acrobatic and spectacular proc\vides solid keeping.
Advantage: EVEN

Defense:
Boca: though not as solid as other years this defense looked somewhat pourous against El Nacional, they need to improve if they want to go far.
Olimpia this defense was also exposed by Cobreloa. Caceres and Cia. looked pretty slow. does not bode well for the Paraguayans.

Midfield
Boca This is the difference maker for Boca the leadership of Serna showed up in the second round match up, while Riquelme and kid sensation Teves are impressive.
Olimpia the veterans defensive midfielders Enteche and Enciso are the backbone of this team. They will have their hands full with Romi and Teves.

Forwards
Boca: Balbo has provided the target center forward missing since the departure of Palermo. He was he catalyst of their victory over El Nacional.
Olimpia: The resurgence of Benitez has provided this team with a very strong forward line. They can score agianst anyone.
Advantafge: slightly BOCA

Two traditional Libertadores teams go against each other. it could go either way but until somebody can stop the champons they are the team to beat.

WINNER: BOCA

·
Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
94,487 Posts
If there is one Argentinian Team I :heart: 2 hate ..Its Boca ... I ask the Allmighty to look away from them when they play..And this time It's no exemption.....
Olimpia might not be at their peak this Tournament....But I want them to eliminate the Bocones !!!!
Forza Olimpia !!!

;)

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Gabemar said:
Match Ups
Midfield
Boca This is the difference maker for Boca the leadership of Serna showed up in the second round match up, while Riquelme and kid sensation Teves are impressive.
Olimpia the veterans defensive midfielders Enteche and Enciso are the backbone of this team. They will have their hands full with Romi and Teves.

Forwards
Boca: Balbo has provided the target center forward missing since the departure of Palermo. He was he catalyst of their victory over El Nacional.
Olimpia: The resurgence of Benitez has provided this team with a very strong forward line. They can score agianst anyone.
Advantafge: slightly BOCA

WINNER: BOCA

BOCA has the edge on the midfield by a wide margin,
both teams are even in the attack.
I would say that Boca advances with 60% of chances.

·
94,487 Posts
Surprise....surprise ...

6.30PM Eastern USA Time LIVE on FSWE

Boca Jrs Vs Olimpia

:)

·
94,487 Posts
EOFH

Boca Jrs 1 Olimpia 0

Overall a good game ....4 yellows 2 a piece... Serna left with a bad left knee just as the game got underway...Very even game...Olimpia has really had more chances if you want to count..But the goals rule...not the missed chances !!! ;)

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I thought they were going to show the game on TV ????? Oh well it seems that the game could go either way. For Boca's sake I hope they score at least one more goal I wouldn't want to go to Asuncion with only a 1-0 lead:greed:

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Boca 1 - Olimpia 1 2nd HALF

Traverso scored an own goal. This is trouble for the Argies, let's see if they can win it still.:cool:

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Boca 1 - Olimpia 1 FINAL

The quarterfinal match up will be decided in Asuncion.:cool:

·
94,487 Posts
Gabemar said:
I thought they were going to show the game on TV ????? Oh well it seems that the game could go either way. For Boca's sake I hope they score at least one more goal I wouldn't want to go to Asuncion with only a 1-0 lead:greed:
I was on FSWE LIVE..I saw the whole affair there ....... ;)

·
94,487 Posts
Disappointment in La Bombonera

05/09/2002.

The Boca Juniors and Olimpia of Paraguay played to a 1-1 draw in the first leg of their Copa Libertadores quarterfinals series in the famed La Bombonera of Buenos Aires. Boca would lose their home field advantage and setup a very difficult second leg in Paraguay. Things started going bad for Boca in the 5th minute, when Mauricio Serna had to be replaced due to an injury. The scheme of Oscar Tabarez would then collapse because Serna's replacement, Omar Perez, doesn't play with the same flair as Serna. However the Los Xeneizes would strike first in the 18th minute. A cross from Sebastián Battaglia was received by Marcelo Delgado, and Delgado would then setup a pass so that Carlos Tevez would be free behind the Paraguayan defense. Tevez one touched the pass into the net. Boca would continue dominating the match, but Olimpia keeper Ricardo Tavarelli kept Boca honest and the ball out of the Olimpia net.

In the second half Boca tried to let the air out of the clock, but the visitors would take advantage of that strategy. Also Boca would start committing defensive errors and the equalizer would come to silence the home fans. Unfortunately for Boca, defender Cristian Traverso would knock the ball into his own net as he was trying to clear a centering pass of Richart Baez in the 67th.

The result will setup an interesting encounter for next week. Boca has now slipped up and needs to win by a goal in the Estadio Defensores del Chaco in Asunción, Paraguay, a feat that will be very difficult for Boca. The Paraguayan side hasn't lost a match played there in this edition of the Libertadores. Also Boca will be without the services of Serna or Traverso (yellow card accumulation), although Boca will retain the services of Diego Crosa and Guillermo Barros Schelotto.

Now MORE than ever, Im sticking with my original prediction....Olimpia to advance !!! :hopefull:

·
94,487 Posts
Gabemar ...... Good News .... And Dont tell me I didnt tell you with plenty of time ...... ;)
The decisive game in Asuncion will be shown LIVE on FSWE too....

so on Thurs May 16th @ 7:30PM USA Eastern Time Get ready for the Battle of El Chaco !!!!

:)

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
I voted for Olimpia...they have the guts to advance!

Richart Baze will play or is he with the Paraguayan national team?

·
94,487 Posts
Kostas said:

Richart Baze will play or is he with the Paraguayan national team?
Kostas..as far as I know ... all 8 Teams left in competition have their respective National Team players available..Remember after the Quarters, which end by may 16th...The Libertadores Semis wont happen till July !!! :eek:

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
dont celebrete until the fat lady sings. boca has had, by far, better results as visitant.
so chances are still 50-50.

·
94,487 Posts
batigold said:
dont celebrete until the fat lady sings. boca has had, by far, better results as visitant.
so chances are still 50-50.
You're SO RIGHT !!!! So STOP celebrating ...... :dielaugh:

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Vamos Boca, hay que ganarle a esos Paraguas.....

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Olimpia 1 - Boca 0 FINAL

This the end of an era in South American football. IMO the best South American team since Rai's Sao Paulo was Boca of Cordova, Samuel, Bermudez, Serna, Palermo, Riquelme etc. It's sad seeing them now but hopefully will be the begining of a new era to come.

Olimpia is a damm good team, they were the deserved winners.:D

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Gabemar said:
Olimpia 1 - Boca 0 FINAL

This the end of an era in South American football. IMO the best South American team since Rai's Sao Paulo was Boca of Cordova, Samuel, Bermudez, Serna, Palermo, Riquelme etc. It's sad seeing them now but hopefully will be the begining of a new era to come.

Olimpia is a damm good team, they were the deserved winners.:D
all good things come to an end
especially if you consider that only riquelme and serna remain

·
94,487 Posts
Im ONE happy :excited: Camper !!!!
Thank You Olimpia ...Thank You ...

Cant Stand the BOCONES !!!!

;) :happy::excited:

·
94,487 Posts
colocolo said:
If there is one Argentinian Team I :heart: 2 hate ..Its Boca ... I ask the Allmighty to look away from them when they play..And this time It's no exemption.....
Olimpia might not be at their peak this Tournament....But I want them to eliminate the Bocones !!!!
Forza Olimpia !!!

;)
GrassyAss Once More :happy: !!!!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts