1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
94,478 Posts
Who Will Win Group II

ORIENTE PETROLERO

Info

Nickname: Albiverdes
Uniform: White and Green shirts, green shorts and green socks.
Barrio: All I can say here is that they are from Santa Cruz de la Sierra, wich is Eastern Bolivia...at the crossroads of the Amazon Jungle
Stadium: Tahuichi Aguilera (35000)
Champioships
Links: www.oriente.xs3.com

Short History
Created November 1955.

Top Players
Jose Alfredo Castillo: Bolivian sensation. Top world goalscorer for 2001 with over 40 goals scored.

Supporters-Barra-Chants Ditto

GREMIO

Info

Nickname: Alegrenses
Uniform: Black/Sky blue/white
Barrio - City: Porto Alegre - Country: Brazil.
Stadium: Olimpico Monumental 51.081

Championships: Brazilian Champion: 1981 and 1996; Libertadores Cup Champion: 1983 and 1995; Intercontinental Champion: 1983
Links: http://www.gremio.net/

Short History
Founded Sept 7th, 1903, in a restaurant on what is now Jose Montaury street. These days the place is an art gallery.:) Among great players of the past you got Eurico Lara a goalie and renato Portaluppi who could forget this great winger.

Players
Anderson Polga: Great defender, Just recently called up to the Brazil NT
Tinga: Very good young midfielder
Rodrigo Fabri: Uruguayan striker/midfielder one of the leading scorers for the team

Supporters-Barra-Chant
Barra Name:
Hymn - Chant:
"ATÉ A PÉ NÓS IREMOS
PARA O QUE DER E VIER
MAS O CERTO É QUE NÓS ESTAREMOS
COM O GRÊMIO ONDE O GRÊMIO ESTIVER "

12 DE OCTUBRE

Info
:)
Nickname:Hijos de Colon
Uniform: blue and white shirt
Barrio - City - Country: Itagua - Paraguay
Stadium:
Championships:
Links:

Short History
Created August 1914. A local lady gave the club the idea to wear blue and white uniforms when she gave the founders a flower bouquet with blue and white flowers on the club's inaguration day.

Players
Rodrigo Mendoza: Right back
Aldo Adorno: striker who played last year in Irapuato of the Mexican league
Mauro Monges: Attacking Midfielder

Supporters - Barras - Chants

CIENCIANO

Info
Nickname: Rojos
Uniform: red shirt, white shorts and red socks
Barrio - City - Country: Cuzco - Peru
Stadium: Garcilaso de la Vega (20000)
Championship: Peruvian Clausura Champion: 2001
Links: www.cienciano.com

Short History
Created March 1901. Although it has over 100 years of existence last year was the first time. Cienciano was able to win a title and for the first time participate in the Libertadores Cup.

Top Players
Martin Garcia: solid defender
German Carty: Former Peru NT striker
Gerardo Fernandez: Mexican striker. First Mexican to play in Copa Libertadores for non-Mexican club

Supporters - Barras - Chants
Barra Name: Furia Roja
Hymn - Chant:

·
94,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Gremio ....I meaaaaan !!!! The other 3 teams are Like the most wanted by the FBI and no one knows a thing....Gremio has been there and back..Even world Champs in Japan...
They're my choice....with no doubt !!!

;) Gabemar...........Gracias!!!! there was a void all of a sudden....and the three teams with hardly any info to us...are hard to find out much about... ;)

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
No problem colocolo:) by the way I didn't mean to stick you with this group. This have to be the hardest group to find any info on.:D

As far as the group, it's so lopsided that I would not be surprise if Gremio doesn't lose a point.

Oriente Petrolero has Castillo and little more. I'll be surprise if they don't finish last. FOURTH

Gremio is a quarterfinal candidate at least. Look for them to be in cruise control in this first stage. FIRST

12 de Octubre, the paraguayans are always tough but this team is such an unknown that it is hard to see them getting pass this round. THIRD

Cienciano the team from Cuzco will be able to play in its high altitude stadium and because of it they'll finish SECOND

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
I was thinking the same thing abt the other teams. Gremio will outclass them all.

·
Registered
385 Posts
NO WAY Yo!

1. Gremio
2. Cienciano
3. O. Petrolero
4. 12 Octubre

·
Canonized
37,734 Posts
Gremio all the way. I think they will even win the title with the team and manager tehy have.

Tite is the best manager that showed up in BRazil last year.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
maybe i can help a bit with cienciano info

the mexican player is oscar olvera he is the conductor of the team

the club is on the verge of signing edson uribe the son of the dumb ass that used to "coach" peru

and roger serrano a decent defensive midfielder

another key figure is the gk maurinho mendoza

funny thing is that when uribe was asked who was the best peruvian keeper for 2001. he answered mendoza a player he never used in the qualifying games :rolleyes:

they have a good shot at a distant second

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
Gremio, absolutely. This poll would be more interesting if we had to discuss who would be second - but then, we would mostly guess anyway, as apparently there's not much information about the contenders.

Aside from Polga, Tinga and Rodrigo Fabri - who is Brazilian, not Uruguayan - Gremio have also playmaker Zinho, Brazil's WC '94 left-winger, and Mauro Galvão, the extremely talented central defender from WC '90 who's still excellent at the age of 40. :eekani: And they've just signed from Juventude a very good young defensive midfielder called Fernando, who already has a couple of National Team caps in his resumè. Their coach, Tite, is doing an outstanding job with the quality players he has - their fans must be smiling from ear to ear.

I agree with Ze, Gremio are one of the main favorites for the Libertadores itself.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
Ooops!!! sorry about the Rodrigo Fabri mixed up. I thought I have read somewhere, he was from Uruguay.

Gremio is certainly quarterfinal material everything will depend on who they face then to see how far they will go from there.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Yes,surely Gremio has the most hopes for the first place in this group.As for the second one i see Oriente,this boy Castillo if stays there can do a lot of things...

·
Registered
393 Posts
Definitively Gremio.

Again, WHERE ARE THE BIG CLUBS AT???!!!!

·
94,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
feb 7

Cienciano Vs 12 de Octubre
Oriente Petrolero Vs Gremio

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
ciencianos squad

Cienciano:

gk: Maurinho Mendoza, Manuel Riofrío y Carlos Torres.

Defenders: Néstor Candia, Gilberto Flores, Martín García, Carlos Maldonado, Luis Molina, Joseph Pozsgay, César Charún y Manuel Rivera.

mids: Christian Vildoso, Alessandro Morán, Adolfo Carrasco, César Ccahuantico, Carlos Cumapa, Jean Garrafa, Óscar Olvera (mexicano), Julio García y Víctor Santistevan.

fwds: Germán Carty, Gerardo Fernández (mexicano), Héctor Hernández (mexicano), Ramón Rodríguez, Ernesto Zapata (uruguayo).

·
94,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Striker Luis Mario rejoins Grêmio

03 February 2002 (www.Teamtalk.com) --

After a successful stint at Grêmio in early 2001, 25-year-old striker Luís Mário is back at the giants from Porto Alegre for the Copa Libertadores campaign.

The announcement was made on Sunday by Luís Mário's agent Wadi Khouri, after a meeting with Grêmio officials at club headquarters.

The arrival of Luís Mário was only possible because the Brazilian Labour Court ruled that he was free to choose his club, after the player filed legal actions against his former club Corinthians.

Luís Mário started his career at Remo of Belém in 1994. In 1995, he went to Mogi Mirim, a small club from São Paulo State, where he stayed until 1999 when he joined Corinthians. Loaned to Grêmio in 2001, he won the Brazilian Cup title defeating Corinthians in the finals.

According to Luís Mário's agent, the player will earn a US $31,000 monthly wage. Mr. Khouri also said that before signing with Grêmio, the striker had offers from Flamengo, Fluminense and even from Grêmio's archrivals Internacional.

The striker is expected at the club's headquarters this Monday. According to some sources, the giants from Porto Alegre are also in talks with Flamengo's striker Tuta.

Grêmio will debut in the Libertadores next Thursday against Oriente Petrolero in Santa Cruz de la Sierra, Bolivia. In the Sul-Minas League, Grêmio beat Atlético Mineiro 1-0 on Sunday and share the second place with Criciúma with 10 points after four rounds.

:cool:

·
94,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Tv Coverage Information

Thursday 2-7-02

LIVE on FSWE 11:00PM Eastern Time

Oriente Petrolero (Bol) Vs Gremio (Bra)

Wow......get ready for great action !!!! Finally in the US !!!

:happy::excited:

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
Cienciano - 12 de Octubre game has been postponed until Friday February 08, because all flights into Cuzco had been cancelled due to bad weather. So it was imposible for the players of 12 de Octubre to arrive.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
Oriente Petrolero - Gremio at Santa Cruz de la Sierra, Bolivia.

Despite Oriente having half the Bolivian NT in their ranks, I believe this will be the first win for a brazilian team in Libertadores Cup 2002.

·
94,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So...in a way the week spreads even a little longer...and thats nice for us the fans...maybe not for the players obviously...but we :heart: it !!!

So on Friday.......Cienciano Vs 12 de Octubre !!!!! :)

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
That's right colocolo an extra day of Libertadores!!!!:D

In the meantime the second half of the Oriente Petrolero - Gremio is just starting the score is 2 -2 in really even game.

1 - 20 of 106 Posts