Primera División

Referee:
Alfonso Pérez Burull (Cantabria)

Home record in 2007-2008 - Club Atlético de Madrid:
9-2-4 (34-20)

Away record in 2007-2008 - UD Almería:
3-5-6 (12-18)

Overall record at Estadio Vicente Calderón:
None, First meeting on Sunday between the teams.

Previous meetings vs. UD Almería:
2007-2008: 0-0

Club Atlético de Madrid:
Squad will appear on the 5th of April 2008

Players out/not available:

Manager:
Javier Aguirre Onaindía

UD Almería:
Squad will appear on the 5th of April 2008

Players out/not available:

Manager:
Unai Emery Etxegoien

·
Registered
44,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thiago Motta is out for the season, he was forced to yet another surgery which was taken care of in Vail, Colorado a month ago.

Fabiano Eller is fit, he just isn't playing as it's Pablo Ibañez and Luis Perea in mid-defence.

Thanks mate :thmbup:

·
Registered
6,414 Posts
this is going to be reasonably tough match.After the slip up of last week we cannot afford to lose or even draw this game.
hopefully no defensive blunders and a 2-1 victory IMO

·
Registered
44,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Confirmed line-up - Club Atlético de Madrid:

13: Christian Abbiati

03: Antonio López
- 21: Perea
- 22: Pablo
- 04: Pernía

11: Maxi (C)
- 08: Raúl García
- 29: Nacho
- 24: Simão

07: Forlán
- 10: Agüero

Manager: Javier Aguirre Onaindía

Predicted line-up - UD Almería

13: Diego Alves

02: Bruno
- 14: Pulido
- 21: Carlos García
- 22: Mané

04: Melo
- 24: Juanito
- 15: Corona

10: José Ortiz
- 09: Negredo
- 08: Crusat

Manager: Unai Emery Etxegoien

·
Registered
44,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Javier Aguirre: “We have to step up to stay in Champions spots”

Javier Aguirre had no scruples about analysing Reyes’ situation. Thus, the Mexican manager wanted to leave it clear that “the player never insulted me. He saw he wasn’t in the squad list and he asked to speak with me, which is normal amongst the players who aren’t summoned, we chatted, and with my hand on the Bible, I’ll repeat that he didn’t insult me. I’m not going to reveal what the player and I talked about. He didn’t agree with my decision. He said that he was not going to show up for training the next day, but he showed up for it.”

The head coach hopes that all that was spoken about regarding Reyes during the week doesn’t affect the squad, and assured that “people have been talking more about things that have nothing to do with sports than about the match against Almería; I hope that that doesn’t affect the players. We have to step up to stay in Champions spots.”

With respect to his relationship with the players on the roster, the ‘Vasco’ gave his opinion that that “it’s very good, very open. We look each other in the eyes and we say what we think. We have full confidence in each other. There are 23 players and there’s a different relationship with each one of them. I try to spend time with the youngest players to give them advice.”

“I feel backed by my bosses. We eat together almost every week and we analyse the team’s situation; we all want the best for Atlético. They give their point of view and ask me about aspects of the teams. It’s a very good relationship,” stated the head coach.

Regarding the goalkeeper who will be in the Atleti goal against Almería, he confirmed that “it’s a dilemma. I’ve had that ‘problem’ for two weeks. It’s normal work for the manager, who must look out for the best for the team.”

“Almería is the best team in the league on set pieces. We’ve worked a lot during the week on that aspect of play. I told my players not to commit fouls on the border of the area and to avoid corner kicks,” said Aguirre.

To finish, the Mexican manager spoke about the rumours that are circulating in his country about his return to the national team. “It seems like I’m on a list, which also includes Scolari and Pekerman. I have a contract until 30 June, and a clause that would automatically renew it if the team makes it to Europe. I’m very happy at the organisation. We have a project and we’re working on it,” Javier Aguirre concluded by saying.

·
Registered
44,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Emery: "We can surprise them if we do things well"

Unai Emery, the manager of Almería, wanted to leave it clear that his team is ready to surprise Atlético de Madrid. “Even though we’re playing against one of the grand clubs of Spanish football, as Atlético is, as they have unquestionable potential, and at their stadium, we’re not going to renounce our philosophy of play and we’re going to come out to win the match, not to not lose it, which is very different. We can surprise them if we do things well," he stated.

The coach of the Andalusian side pointed out that “they’re playing for a lot, and are very strong at home as they’ve demonstrated in their recent games and, moreover, with a large goal-scoring capability. They have highly skilled individual players on their roster, who make a difference… but we’re going to demand the most out of ourselves to be able to counteract all that potential.”

The coach who is the revelation of the Primera División continued speaking about the encounter against the Madrid side and said that “when the moment arrives, we’re going to work so that things can lean towards our side so we can give our followers something to cheer about, because it would be really nice for all of them if we can win in a stadium such as Vicente Calderón and against an opponent such as Atlético de Madrid".

With regard to the squad list, Unai Emery has decided to call up the entire squad for the match against Atlético de Madrid at Estadio Vicente Calderón.

·
Registered
44,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Atlético are leading 4-3 at halftime after goals by Antonio López, Diego Forlán and Simão twice. We've had the lead thrice in this game screwed up two.

Some fantastic goals in this game, especially the first by Antonio and the equalizer for 2-2 by former Rojiblanco Juanma Ortiz. Our defence has been absolutely disgraceful but guess what? They're not worse than Almería who's already got two red cards, that's right, two red cards after less than 45 minutes of play.

Vicente Calderón is the place to be, I hope all children are enjoying this, Día del Niño it is..

·
Registered
44,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hilarious display but we still won and got the three points, that's the most important thing.

Racing lost at home to Depor and Espanyol couldn't do anything to prevent Athletic from winning against them.

We're currently 3 points clear of Racing, 8 of Espanyol and hopefully the same will happen when it comes to Sevilla at the end of the day.

·
Registered
44,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Pérez Burull absolutely disgraceful tonight, awarding us with a non-existant penalty, giving Pulido a red card.

I have no longer any words to describe our defence though.

·
Registered
6,414 Posts
this game just shows that how lucky we are.i mean if it was our defence it would have been another defeat....disgraceful.Everyone should be replaced,bloody amatuers

great game though,brought back the memories of the initial great matches at the calderon.Antonio's goal was fvcking awesome.the ref was shocking especially the penalty given(though who cares:D).
Aguero was good in this game and i was disappointed he couldn't get a hattrick.

IMO a very important win as now we can breathe a little easily.hopefully sevilla gets beaten

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
I actually cannot believe how bad our defence is, how we are getting away with it is beyond me, but either way i will take the win and the goals that go with it.
I think it showed how important Simao now is to the team, after months of mediocre

·
Registered
5,600 Posts
what a bunch of assholes our defenders are...i was getting so angry wen it became 3-3, this ****ing perea let negredo in with no problems, almeria play great though i am very happy they are doing so good

1 - 19 of 19 Posts