1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
38,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

CD Numancia
Villarreal CF

Match Thread.

SORIA, March 5 (Primera Liga) - Villarreal midfielder Juan Roman Riquelme believes that his team can only be satisfied with all three points when they travel to bottom side Numancia this weekend.

After last week's slip-up against Real Zaragoza, Villarreal responded well with a 2-1 midweek victory over struggling Mallorca in a game which saw Riquelme back to his best. The Argentinian playmaker was able to open up the Mallorca defence with incisive passing for his forwards to feed on.

The victory, their third in a row at home, has put them in a Champions League berth for the first time this season but Riquelme claims that the team needs to keep pressing.

``I think the game against Numancia will have no value unless we come away with three points,'' he said.

``I expect it to be a match which will not be pretty to watch because of the state of the Los Pajaritos' pitch and also due to the nerves from both sides.

``We are aware of the importance of the match and badly want to win, while on the other hand, they are desperately fighting to survive.

``In their own stadium Numancia are going to feel more comfortable and so we are going to have to be very focused in order to get a result,'' the 26-year-old added.

``I am happy to see where Villarreal are in the table but we cannot afford to relax now as there is still a long way to go and a lot of work to do.

``There are 36 points still to be fought over and I think it is better if we take things step by step.''

There is plenty of competition for places in attack for Villarreal but the partnership of Diego Forlan and Lucho Figueroa appears to be the one which is having the best results.

Jose Mari has had spells in the first team, as has Antonio Guayre, with coach Pellegrini looking to use squad rotations. Against Mallorca last week, Forlan and Jose Mari started, but with the team losing into the second half, Pellegrini brought on Figueroa to partner the Uruguayan and he levelled the match seven minutes later.

``I am very happy with the goal because it was very important for Villarreal as we needed to win the match,'' he said.

``I don't know the potential of the team and whether we will finish in a Champions League position but at the moment we are clearly in the top-four on merit.

``If we beat Numancia this weekend I think then we can start talking more about finishing in a Champions League place but now is not the right time.''

The outlook for rock-bottom Numancia does not look good with the side nine points from safety.

They need to start picking up maximum points, rather than the draws they have achieved in their last two matches against Barcelona and Levante.

The hosts will be without Jean Pignol for the visit of Villarreal due to suspension.

soccernet

STATISTICS:

CD Numancia Home Record:

P12 W3 D5 L4
% of points accumulated at Home: 39%

Villarreal CF Away Record:

P12 W3 D4 L6
% of points accumulated on Road: 33%

CURRENT FORM:

CD Numancia: LLWDD
Villarreal CF: WLWLW

TIME AND VENUE:

La Liga| Sun, 6 Mar 05| 16:00 GMT| Estadio Nuevo Los Pajaritos.

TV:

Taquilla 3

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
villarreal better pick it last couple of games have been very close,but i think we should get a win... a tie is the lowest.. cant afford to slip up at all

·
Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
94,482 Posts
I want 3 points !!! :party:

·
Registered
11,116 Posts
The three points might be the passport to the CL! Our rivals on the CL spots have somehow harder matches to play this week. Hopefully Roman gets his things together, I feel its gonna be his day.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Numancia really shouldn't be a tough opponent but since they are fighting to stay in La Liga and are still alive they have been making it hard for teams lately especially at home, the weather there doesn't help much either let's just hope it doesn't snow before the game..
I think the team is stating to realize that if the want to make CL the team has to play better and the last two games were wake up calls, they should come out better this game and as Pooh mentioned it is a great time for Roman to get his act straight and back to his old self..

·
Registered
11,116 Posts
Watta great time for the a three points!

Valencia draw with RM and Sevilla are 3-0 down at the end of the 1st half against Ateletico Madrid.

Three points tomorrow would make us third with no partners.

·
Senior Poster of the year 2007
40,147 Posts
If Villarreal is able to win the 3 points, they would give a big step forward towards the CL. Moreover, if Villarreal wants to sign Riquelme, the money of the CL is going to be essential.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
The latest team news are that neither Sorin or Armando Sá will be available for Sunday's game.. Sorin is out with a cold and Sa a muscle injury, this leave our left side really weak..
Arruabarrena and Josico will take their places, with Josico playing as a double attacking mid with Roman and Arruabarrena playing at left back..
Good news is that Pellegrini will be trying out our cantera, although Carlos Alcántara will not start this game he will be called up and most likely be sitting on the bench (plays left back)..

Posible line up..

---------------Reina-----------------------

--Venta-----Peña-Gonzalo----Arruabarrena--

---------------Senna-----------------------

-----Font-----Riquelme----Josico------------

----------Figueroa-Forlán-------------------

·
Honourable Mention, October 2011 Photo Contest
18,041 Posts
Que pasa con Quique?, me gusta ese equipo, preferible un estilo Galletti para que acompañe a Forlan, pero bue dos nueve de area no estan mal, espero Font levante y Roman se ve cansado, Senna es un bufoso, tiene muy buen manejo, pero se engolsina mal a veces, va a ser fudamental como juegue, va a tener que cortar y jugar, si Sorin no va de tres, prefiero asi, sino Juampi aun con sus ganas es muy barullero en el medio, de paso vuelvo del receso porque si los dejo solos me lo van a hacer descender al Villarela mufas...

·
94,482 Posts
Gol TV has it LIVE for the US .. I hope Im home to enjoy the win .. :cap:

·
Registered
11,116 Posts
A point on that unbelieveable frozen pitch is just GREAT! Unbelieveable pitch conditions in Soria!

·
18,041 Posts
I'm far from happy, it was a bad result taking in account the other results and the quality of the rival, and it ended being a good one regarding how Villareal played, the frozen is an excuse.

Roman ahad a mediocre game in his terms, and others too, he saved his ass with his goal, and could be a good game in pure stadistic terms iLucho nailed a greta asist, and the post didn't prevented (AGAIN!!!) Roman to score...but he lost many balls, didn't participate as Villareal needed in such crucial time...
Of course is football, and is a team game, and there is the second item, almost EVRYONE played really bad, Font was in the moon, like I said they will needed Senna to be great..and he was lame, he didn't steal a thing, and his best aspect was far from good, I mean his good manage of the ball, he fell in his many times usuall too much risky moves, and inaccurate passing...Jose Mari...is Jose Mari, Forlan due to the bad day of Roman-Senna-Font received really few great balls, or even just balls...

The defense was horrible, and I lost the number of ocassions that Villareal game after game, allowed the rival to sent crosses from the middle!!!! of the pitch to the area, from either flanks, this is due to an estrategical disposition Pellegrini MUST review, mostly Villa is waiting lately after a goal, or even since minute one in rival's fields, and is no bussiness there, more when comes times like this that are the last sprint, and is ALL or NOTHING...

If instead of Numancia was, a team that use well the crossing/heading attack, we will be talking of a clear defeat...both flanks weren't covered by Venta (auwfull) and Arrubarruena (bad, near awufull), Gonzalo and Pena, didn't anticipate once, and rivals were left alone in their kingdom...Numancia is Numancia, and makes the best they can, or dare, it was all in Villareal hands, and they didn't leave an ultimate opportunity, but yesa great one to be the only third, and be more calm till the end...

·
94,482 Posts
Villarreal, who had started the day in third, slipped to fourth :mute: after they were held to a 1-1 draw at Numancia.

·
18,041 Posts
amyway Colo is a one point dif, and next is in Villareal and they must win again, with so many points ahead is just time to be as agressive as ones was Villareal even out of its field, anyway is noticeable that all the teams are feeling the last stages, and teams like Villa, with less subs, suffer more, it will be a lot more of attitude need from now on, than expecting great matches, nevertheless, they can have both...

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Pumba said:
not good i take it seville won
No even worse Espanyol did :(
We could have sealed the game but some bad luck helped Numancia and hurt us in the end..
If Gonzalo would have scored that header which hit the post in the first half it would have changed things dramatically..
But one thing is for sure, if Villareal want to do anything in Europe next year this team has to be strengthened, starting at the back..

·
18,041 Posts
But one thing is for sure, if Villareal want to do anything in Europe next year this team has to be strengthened, starting at the back..
they were playing great, but maybe this constant lately changes disrmed them, venta was pretty solid , but last match he was invisible, vAsco was really good in last matches, and this a shadow too, Gonzalo has the future of an star, may be the bolivian is weaker, but still normal and not lame as Ballesteros, the thig is Sorin is a 3, no matter he plays in the middle many times, and that he arrives as striker too, but he has a basquet cube in his head, he fells every second in a ridicule way..I guess with Vasco being Captain and a very regular (in the good sense) player, why getting him out?, Srin wasn't a great buy, because he is no back up, he is a great firts team left back, may be was better a ral help for Roman in the middle with pace a la Aimar, or a real support striker, but again tghey bought almost a clon of Forlan upfront, while the problem since long, are Jose Mari and Guayre, they are dumb, as few, even when they have great games, Piojo had them too, and so ,many, but consistency and intelligence is not their game...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts