Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
38,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Sevilla FC
Villareal CF

Villarreal travel to Andalusia this weekend, in a game that will prove to be a difficult test to their Champions League credibility. One of the reasons for Villarreal's rise up the table in recent months has been the form of Diego Forlan, who was named player of the month for January by Spanish daily Marca. Villareal will be confident going into this game since they are in such a rich vein of form, with superstar Juan Roman Riquelme pulling the strings so spectacularly as well as the sparkling supporting displays from Antonio Guayre and Jose Mari.

Sevilla's last home match is one they would rather forget, but it must be said that even despite their 0-4 reverse at the hands of Barcelona, they still boast one of the most impressive home records in the league with 23 points taken from a possible 30.

*Team News will be updated later this week.

STATISTICS:

Sevilla Home Record:

P10 W7 D2 L1
% of points accumulated at Home: 77%

Villarreal Away Record:

P11 W3 D4 L4
% of points accumulated on Road: 40%

CURRENT FORM:

Sevilla FC: DLWLW
Villarreal CF: WWWWW :star:

TIME AND VENUE:

La Liga| Sunday, 13 February 2005| 16:00 GMT| Estadio Ramon Sanchez Pizjuan

TV:

Taquilla.

·
Premium Member
27,068 Posts
El Feno, you do great presentation threads!

Keep up the good work

·
I Need More Cowbell!
7,047 Posts
The buck stops here, I'm afraid. I find it very hard for Villarreal to beat Sevilla at the Sanchez Pizjuan. Perhaps they could salvage a tie.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
ya thats what i was thinkin too, its gonna be really hard to get a win.. atleast a tie though we cant drop all 3 points :(

·
Senior Poster of the year 2007
40,147 Posts
One of the matches of the week. Here Villarreal must show their real level against a direct rival in its stadium. As you said, a point would be good for Villarreal, but a victory would be a puch on the table. I would not see strange a victory by El Submarino Amarillo in the Pizjuan.

BTW, the goal average could be important. In the first round, Villarreal 0-0 Sevilla.

·
Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
94,483 Posts
This is what the Hong Kong Oddsmakers are predicting.................

No strong opinions on this one, but I can't resist the attractive price on Villarreal with the 1/4 ball start. I think the market has over-reacted following the contrasting results between the 2 clubs - Sevilla were convincing winners at Levante while Villarreal slogged against 10-men Racing Santander.

After tipping Villarreal for 2 consecutive weeks - vs Valencia & Real Sociedad, I decided to skip last week's game. Believe it or not, I had Villarreal -3/4 @ 1.78 against Racing Santander! No way was Villarreal value at 1.80-ish at the start of the match!

There is no major news for this Sevilla-Villarreal clash. Both clubs will have Europe on their minds with the UEFA Cup kicking off in midweek. Sevilla travel to Athens to face Panathinaikos on Wednesday while Villarreal have an extra day off when they head to Dynamo Kiev.

It's no secret that both clubs have strong priorities on the UEFA Cup this season, so I can't see them trying too hard for Sunday's clash. Sevilla in particular,will not want to lose any more defenders with regularsPablo Ruiz, Aitor Ocio & Sergio Ramos are all ruled out for 2 weeks-6 months. Having said this, a draw without casualty would be the ideal result.

Of course, Villarreal come into the match in better shape, both fitness & form. There are no major injury concerns and have won 8 of their last 9 league outings, including the last 5! More importantly, their 3 away wins so far had come from this impressive run of games.

In my opinion, the Ramon Sanchez Pizjuan Stadium hasn't been that intimidating as the 7/2/1 suggest. Sure, there were convincing wins against Levante (3-0) & Athletic Bilbao (2-0), but it was marginal victories with the visit of Real Sociedad (2-1), Atletico Madrid (2-1), Mallorca (1-1), Espanyol (1-0) & Real Betis (2-1). However, it is their last 2 home matches that raises a few eyebrows - a 0-0 draw with Getafe & a 4-0 thumping by Barcelona.

While this match pits one of Spain's meanest strikers in Baptista, Makukula, Aranda & Antonito from Sevilla and Forlan, Riquelme & Antonio Guarye from Villarreal, I'm going with a tight & cautious affair.

Prediction: 0-0

I personally dont mind the TIE, but give me the three points as a Valentines gift and Im XTRAHAPPY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
do u think we can keep up this good run of form and get that champions league place?

·
Freedom for all
16,851 Posts
Pumba said:
do u think we can keep up this good run of form and get that champions league place?
:thumbsup:

I'd like Villareal to get into the CL, I think they'd do Spain proud.

·
Premium Member
27,068 Posts
ViscaBarcaInter said:
:thumbsup:

I'd like Villareal to get into the CL, I think they'd do Spain proud.
only if they can keep these core players together and maybe add some depth. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
12,718 Posts
Watching this game im wondering how many non EU players arae allowed to be on the pitch for each team? Because this like a Brazil vs Argentina game. Sevilla with Baptista, Renato, Alves, Adriano etc. and Villareal with Riquelme, Sorin, Battaglia, Arrubarrena etc. :eek:

·
Senior Poster of the year 2007
40,147 Posts
Hala Madrid said:
Watching this game im wondering how many non EU players arae allowed to be on the pitch for each team? Because this like a Brazil vs Argentina game. Sevilla with Baptista, Renato, Alves, Adriano etc. and Villareal with Riquelme, Sorin, Battaglia, Arrubarrena etc. :eek:
Many of these people are "Spanish" too. Recall that you only need 2 years of legal residency to achieve the Spanish nationality and it's even easier if you have Spanish relatives.

BTW
Min. 81
Sevilla 2-0 Villarreal
Baptista
Baptista (PK)

·
Registered
12,718 Posts
So far its 2-0 for Sevilla after a Baptista penalty. An awful performance from the whole Villareal team with no exceptions, didnt create anything for the entire game and Battaglia has to be one of the worst DM's in Spain. The guy does nothing right at all.

By the way, i loved the treatment Jose Mari got by the Sevilla fans :D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts