Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 301 Posts

·
Registered
38,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
LFP| Jornada 24| Real Madrid CF vs Athletic Club Bilbao.

Real Madrid CF
Athletic Club Bilbao

Real Madrid take on their second successive Basque opponents this weekend when we welcome Athletic to the Bernabeu. As expected, we suffered quite a bit in Osasuna on Sunday but our problems against teams from the Basque region should be somewhat eased now that we return home to Madrid. The issue of Owen/Ronaldo/Raul will once again be the central talk this week, because everybody except Perez can see that Owen, at this moment in time, is the better option than Raul- at least domestically. With one eye on Tuesday's Champions League game with Juventus, it wouldn't surprise me if Luxemburgo starts with Owen this weekend and gives Raul a rest.

Athletic have an absolutely woeful away record from home this season (see stats below) but they are the undisputed comeback kings of Spanish Football this season. They came back from 0-3 down against Osasuna three weeks ago to win 4-3, and last night they came back from 0-3 down against Betis to draw 4-4, which shows they have a lot of heart and a strong team spirit. As a result we can't relax in this match, and have to be very clinical in front of goal. I am a little bit worried since the players will definitely be thinking about Juventus, but I expect a professional performance and all three points.

Luis Figo returns after a one-match suspension, so I expect Guti to start with Gravesen in mind for Juventus.

If it was up to me, I would rest Zidane as well and start with Solari.

REAL MADRID XI (probable):

------------Casillas------------
Salgado-Helguera-Samuel-Carlos
----Beckham-Guti-(Zidane or Solari)
-------------Figo--------------
-----Owen---------Ronaldo----

STATISTICS:

Real Madrid Home Record:

P12 W10 D0 L2
% of points accumulated at Home: 83%

Athletic Bilbao Away Record:

P11 W1 D4 L6
% of points accumulated on Road: 15% :eekani:

CURRENT FORM:

Real Madrid: WWWWW
Athletic Bilbao: DWDDD

TIME AND VENUE:

La Liga| Saturday, 19 February 2005| 19:00 GMT| Estadio Santiago Bernabéu

TV:

Al Jazeera Sport
Diema+
Kanal 5 (DK)
Sky Sports 1 19:00
Supersport 2
Sky Sport 3 (Italia) (Delay 21:30)
Sport TV (Delay 23:00)
Sport 2 Hungary
Taquilla 1
TV4 Plus

·
Registered
494 Posts
Hard one. Still remeber the 3-0 beating we got in the bernabeu last year. But lux is doing great. So I think 3 points. R9 :nerd: won't go to hong-kong so he'll be rested, plus he's hungry to score, I felt really bad for him in the espanyol game. Figo will miss the game :thmbdown:. So it will be interesting to see what lux will do. Beck on the right? And gravy-guti in midfield? Or throw in solari in midfield? Anyways enough talent to fill the gap.

Prediction: 2-0 for RM
R9 and Raul

PS. Helgeura and Samuel both didn't get selected for their NT. Anyone knows the reason?

·
Fantasy Liga Txampion
11,971 Posts
Last time Madrid won in El Sadar Fernandito Hierro was just another kid in Málaga streets, he still didn´t know how important his elbows were going to be for his future...:D

Figo did well provoking the 5th yellow against Espanyol, normal he doesn´t want to suffer another humilliation as 2 seasons ago, where he was sent off due to pure impotence.;)

Madrid always have problems (and more than problems) with northern teams (normally basque) that play hard football and have a stadium with the seats close to the field, as happens in San Mamés and El Sadar. Just see they also suffer in stadiums as El Sardinero, not as much as the other two but compare their record there with other teams of their level.

Madrid is used to rivals that let them the ball and only pressure in the last meters while in the north the have to suffer a constant pressure in all the lines the 90 minutes. Hard tackles, good direct football through the wings and a hostile atmosphere make the rest. Osasuna is the hardest of all, actually Athletic isn´t hard lately, but Osasuna has some really hard players, from attackers to defenders leaded by Pablo García.

I don´t say Madrid won´t win (we´ll see) since they´re on a great form but to do it they´ll have to suffer a lot and play with a lot of intelligence, therefore change their style,;) to take profit of Osasuna´s sometimes unorganized pressure, sending long balls to Ronaldo just after stealing them in midfield for example. What I´m sure is that Zidane´s tricks won´t be enough for you this time, you need more team work to win in El Sadar, it´s a good test to see if Luxemburgo has done the homework.

We´ll see, aupa Osasuna!:fero:

BTW, nice preview El Fenómeno, that´s what made me write.;)

·
Registered
38,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Txupa said:
BTW, nice preview El Fenómeno, that´s what made me write.;)
:proud: Thanks. :)

I am glad I made you write, because you raised some very interesting points. I don't know why we do so poorly when we travel to the Northern regions of Spain, and in particular the Basque region. I can't even remember the last time we claimed victory up there. :hopefull: You made a great point about the strong, physical play and the organised game plan teams up North tend to use against us, and I am especially worried about the flanks because Carlos and Salgado could get caught out. And then of course you have the atmosphere which is usually electric when Madrid visit Basque country. I think we need to be patient in this match. Play possession football and clam the early (inevitable) storm in the first 10-15mins. Once we do that, we can start to impose our own style on the game and play the ball on the floor like we do best. Osasuna's weakness IMO is that they are prone to counter-attacking football. Once Figo and Beckham get the ball at their feet, I hope they can find quick releases for Raul and Ronaldo to chase and finish clinically.

It will take a TEAM effort to win this kind of tough match.

·
Registered
12,718 Posts
El Fenómeno. said:
Once Figo and Beckham get the ball at their feet, I hope they can find quick releases for Raul and Ronaldo to chase and finish clinically.
Only problem is, Figo aint playing ;)

Man, this has got to one of the most difficult games to predict. El Sadar has always been notoriously a tough place for us to even play in, let alone win but with our current winning streak one would think that it would be no problem for us. Osasuna has been playing crap as of late but with a master motivator like Aguirre, i think his players are going to be up for this one.

However, having said that, Osasuna's defence has been just awful this year and i still dont understand why Aguirre keeps picking Elia ahead of Sanzol :irritate: and i believe that will be their downfall.

Hala Madrid baby !

·
Registered
38,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ahh yes, Figo is suspended. I hope Solari takes his place in the team. Zidane will just have to step up like he did against Espanyol to make up for Figo's absence.

·
A por Ellos!
6,895 Posts
Very important game indeed as Barca might slip up, they have a harder opponent in Zaragoza. They have the advantage of playing before us though so the pressure is on us if they win but if they loose, we might play more calmly. We are injury-free at the moment, god forbid any injuries in the friendly game.

Also i dont see whats the thing about Raul getting back coz he scored one of the easiest goal of the century and the other was an own goal. Im sorry but he should get benched. I will consider him back if he gives performances like VS Roma on CONSISTENT BASIS!

So the XI I WANT:
Casillas
Salgado Helguera Samuel R.Carlos
Gravesen Guti
Beckham Zidane Solari
Ronaldo

THE ACTUAL XI:
Casillas
Salgado Helguera Samuel R.Carlos
Gravesen Guti
Beckham Zidane
Raul Ronaldo

·
Third Place winner, October 2012 XT Photo Contest
20,440 Posts
I think Luxa said he will try out Guti-Gravesen together. Now they better start talking ;)

·
Registered
38,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Elmoro said:
Just saw the training on Real Madrid tv, and looks like lux will start with gravy. Btw I didn't see Figo, is he injured or something?
Yes.

Figo picked up a muscle injury during training midweek although initial reports suggest it isn't serious at all.

He was suspended for this match anyway, but I hope he recovers fully in time for our next game.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
2-1
Guti and R9

·
Third Place winner, October 2012 XT Photo Contest
20,440 Posts
elektra said:
2-1
Guti and R9
better post that in the RMPL that lili can count it :) thank you.

·
Registered
9,405 Posts
you didn't watch the last game??
when Gravesen scored the 4th goal against Espanyol,Guti was the only player who didn't congratulates him! ;)

·
Registered
983 Posts
fc barcelona said:
you didn't watch the last game??
when Gravesen scored the 4th goal against Espanyol,Guti was the only player who didn't congratulates him! ;)
No I missed the last game. :(
The one game I miss this season and it's our best performance (allegedly) of the season......just my luck :irritate:
But that's strange - why would Guti do something like that??
:confused:
Maybe he looks at Gravy as competition for the same position, but still it's not proper.

·
Senior Poster of the year 2007
40,147 Posts
I trust in Osasuna, especially at home. As Txupa said, the "English style" fields of the North of Spain are traditionally a pain for Real Madrid, especially the Basque ones.... especially El Sadar, more than San Mamés lately.

Real Madrid is showing its best version in the last few matches, but this is a real test. Osasuna gives the 200% against Madrid and their fans are hyper-motivated against the white enemy. A really good match, very tense.

·
Boti Boti Boti
10,303 Posts
Koeman4 said:
I trust in Osasuna, especially at home. As Txupa said, the "English style" fields of the North of Spain are traditionally a pain for Real Madrid, especially the Basque ones.... especially El Sadar, more than San Mamés lately.

Real Madrid is showing its best version in the last few matches, but this is a real test. Osasuna gives the 200% against Madrid and their fans are hyper-motivated against the white enemy. A really good match, very tense.

hahaha... yup... let's disturb this forum a bit, at least before the match...

last year 1-1,
the one before 1-0,
and the one before that 3-1...

;)

·
Banned
23,575 Posts
there is only one problem....

Ronaldo has not score in the last game ;)

btw I´m Dagoods

1 - 20 of 301 Posts