Registered
38,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Partido; Atlético de Madrid - Real Madrid
Fecha; 18/10/2008
Hora; 20:00
Estadio; Vicente Calderón
Jornada; 7

The game of the weekend in Spain. Atlético will be desperate to show a different image and there's nothing better than a derby win over Real Madrid to heal the wounds of a 6-1 defeat. Atleti need the three points here if they're serious about being considered as title challengers - defeat would leave them 10 points adrift - so it's a must-win situation for them. As for RM, we're just looking to return to winning ways and staying in touch with the rest of the teams at the top. To help us do that, we've got our whole midfield back to fitness; Diarra, DLR, VdV, Gago, Guti and Sneijder are going to compete for three spots, so there's plenty of options for Schuster. Raúl, Higuaín and Van Nistelrooy will start in attack on the back of a two-week rest - Arjen Robben is likely to come off the bench in the second half if he manages to be ready in time for this game.

Casillas

S.Ramos - Pepe - Cannavaro - Heinze

Diarra - Guti

Sneijder

Raúl - - - - Higuaín

V.Nistelrooy

·
Registered
38,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Diarra and Sneijder will definitely play, Schuster has to decide between Gago, Guti and DLR for the one remaining midfield spot. I would love to see Gago given the nod, but I think he'll opt for Guti in the end. Guti better turn up, if he does him and Sneijder are capable of controlling the game. Atleti for all their dangerous wingers and attackers are still soft in the middle - that's why it is so important for us to produce a dominant display in midfield.

·
Senior Poster of the year 2007
40,147 Posts
Probably, their huge wishes to beat you will be the main cause of their defeat. These games must be played with the heart of the fans and the head of the team and the Atletico players usually forget this second part.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
we need to be calm , I would like to see Bernd starting with Gago and Diarra if he is fully fit but I guess he missed Guti more .. hope that Robben will be fit also for this cruicel week I dont think Higuain as a winger give him the chance to show his best .

Atleti will be stronger with Simao, Forlan and Maniche back ..

our team used to get positive results from Vicente Calderon , so optimistic and predict another away win 2-1 Raul and Van Gol .

·
Registered
11,267 Posts
Probably, their huge wishes to beat you will be the main cause of their defeat. These games must be played with the heart of the fans and the head of the team and the Atletico players usually forget this second part.
id like to think that but im not so sure. as Blanco has alluded to, they're getting a host of their players back. and as is always the case in these situations, teams will not be thrashed by one rival and go on to be thrashed hte week after by another rival. and atletico have been pretty good up until that barca match in which they really didnt even play. as good as barca was, atletico were not in the game from the first minute.

id like to see Gago play so we can get a bit of movement in midfield that maniche and assuncao will have trouble with. at teh same time i want to see sneijder and Guti play, but theres only room for one. at the moment im leaning towards Guti, but after this injury lay off im not quite sure what version we're gonna see.

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
We are getting many players back, but still not sure on Maniche. He is the main man in the midfield who can make us tick.

·
Registered
62,100 Posts
HAZ to rip this amateur backline apart.

Aguero to get eaten by Pepe again.

·
Registered
59,987 Posts
Poor Raulito - this game clashes with Al-Ahly's match in the CAF CL semi-final. It also clashes with Napoli-Juve. :D

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Great derby.. Looking forward to it. I don't think you can top Barcelona's result though as this is a derby, and Atleti will be hungry to get a result

·
Registered
59,987 Posts
Napoli Juve won't be shown, it's Al-Ahly or the Madrid derby :pp
You sure 'bout that? I'm aware of the issue regarding Napoli's tv rights, but my bro told me that it's been solved and JSC will be airing their home games from now on.

·
Registered
62,100 Posts
Guti for DLR will be the only change according to AS, although it's early and let's hope no international injuries.

Balon D'Or
Ramos - Pepe - Cannavaro - Heinze
Diarra
HAZ -- VDV
Higuain ------- Raul
Ruud​

·
Registered
12,134 Posts
The Guti - van der Vaart duo in the midfield looked very exciting!

·
Premium Member
40,302 Posts
Guti for DLR will be the only change according to AS, although it's early and let's hope no international injuries.

Balon D'Or
Ramos - Pepe - Cannavaro - Heinze
Diarra
HAZ -- VDV
Higuain ------- Raul
Ruud​
it`s a brilliant lineup to start this derby.:thumbsup:

Nerazzurri4life said:
Poor Raulito - this game clashes with Al-Ahly's match in the CAF CL semi-final. It also clashes with Napoli-Juve.:D
as a neutral, napoli vs juve is a strong game but madrid derby would be more interesting to follow.

·
Registered
109 Posts
The combination of Rafa and Guti hasn't quite worked for me so far. Guti and Sneijder, or Sneijder and VDV would be much better. Wesley gives us that real determination and clever movement in midfield, which creates the space for either of the other two to work their magic. The other two sometimes seem to occupy the space the others wants and it becomes very congested. That's why the likes of Gago and Sneijder are so important to us.

I think we will have to look at the fitness of Guti and Gago very closely for this game, and if they aren't quite 100% yet, then Diarra/Sneijder/VDV could work well.

My actual ideal formation with everyone fit would be the same as last season, but instead of Robinho and Robben alternating, it'd be Rafa and Robben in the free role. Rafa is much more of a Robinho type player than a Robben type player, or even a Guti type player imo, although he has the tools to play there. He can shoot better too, so having him just off the two strikers playing freely, with Guti, Sneijder and Gago in just behind could see us playing beautiful football.

That said, either one of Diarra or DLR can quite comfortably come in and do a job also in the midfield. That's the beauty of having such a versatile midfield qith so much depth.

·
Registered
12,134 Posts
How many games did Rafa and Guti play together? It's natural that the dutchman needs time to adapt to the whole game and imho he can become an immense partner for Guti in the midfield.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I just don't see it as an effective solution, given the other players we have in midfield.

We need a Sneijder or a DLR in there, someone who will do the running, box to box. VDV and Guti are great in their own right, but too similar in the way they present themselves to put into the same team.

The way I see it is,

One of Gago/Diarra
One of Sneijder/DLR
One of Guti/VDV OR Robben/Rafa (in the more advanced role).

That way we keep the balance of a DM, a CM and a pure AM, instead of trying to put players in the same team which causes an imbalance, something I don't think Schuster has quite got the hang of yet. To be fair to him though, we haven't had the best time with injuries to begin with.

Like I said earlier though, we have such a versatile and deep midfield, that we have a lot of other combinations we could utilise. Such as Sneijder playing ahead of Gago and DLR for example, or both Gago and Diarra starting with whoever ahead of them. It's not as straight forward as I suggested up there, but I do feel that if we stick to some sort of balanced formula, we will see better results than throwing players who take something away from each other in there together for the sake of it.

·
Registered
12,134 Posts
Of course, I didn't say that Diarra, Guti, van der Vaart is our best midfield, but I said that these two guys can provide loads of creativity. Guti is the man who can organize the game from deep and van der Vaart can do some magic in front of the opponent's box. But you're right, this midfield is too slow and that's why Sneijder will always have a starting spot when he's fit.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
I think Marcelo will be a starter , he is free from international duty and keep Heinze for Juve match .. same with Metzelder I dont prefer him but I guess he will start .

1 - 20 of 339 Posts