Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 200 Posts

·
Senior Poster of the year 2007
40,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

FC BARCELONA vs GETAFE CF
Camp Nou (Barcelona) | Sun, Nov 23 | 19:00

Barcelona will defend the new gap over the direct rivals against Getafe. The stats talk by themselves: this is the best Barça ever at this point. 9 victories in a row should be 10 at the end of this weekend.

Our Barça took profit of the errors of our direct rivals to open an important gap over Villarreal, Valencia and, mainly, Real Madrid and they start to feel the pressure of a team that do not fail easily. Once we achieved this goal, the next step is to stress their level of tension to break the rope. The first stage is this weekend. Barcelona must win the 3 points against a team that evidently is inferior to us. As always, this kind of games are tricky and we hope Guardiola is able to keep the players on their toes to avoid any kind of relax that could damage the good gap we worked so hard to get. If we're able to put the 3 points in our pocket, our rivals will be forced to win to keep their chances. It's evident that, if we raise the gap up to 8 points, they will place themselves in a tense situation.

All this before the super-December we're going to face. In the worst scenario, we built a comfortable gap to get out of it in a bad situation. But I think we must face it as a chance to show authority in the league in order to increase the gap over our rivals. Sevilla away, two home games in a row against Valencia and Madrid to close the year in Villarreal. This should be our month... but before all this, we face the ex-blaugrana Victor's Getafe. Let's do our job and we'll have time to talk about December.

VISCA EL BARÇA I VISCA CATALUNYA!

·
Messiah
9,580 Posts
We must win this one for 2 reasons ... We need this win and the second they are from Madrid.

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
3rd placed Valencia is at 5th placed Sevilla this weekend (both level on 23 pts), so one or both of them is going to be dropping points in this round. Hopefully, we'll be able to capitalize on that.

·
Registered
11,116 Posts
What did Pep change/add to the team so they geared up massively like that?

He uses FR tactics but it is working for some reason!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Pep is way more more involved with the players than Frank ever was. He is also way more involved in training, planning and studying the opposition. Also Pep actually has tactics when compared to Rijkaard who put 11 expected names in an expected formation and sat on the bench expecting results.

·
Registered
9,491 Posts
Well for 2 years it work like clockwork.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Those two years we we're tactically much better. Some people have suggested Ten Cate was behind it but who knows? Also then we had alot more options like Guily, Larsson etc. Plus three of the world's best in their peak: Dinho, Eto'o and Deco. Not to mention that both Puyol and Marquez were brilliant.

The first trophyless season was...well, let's see, a lack of hunger from almost everyone. Dinho's decline, Eto'o and Deco's injuries plus drop in form. The defence had a horrible year. Our fullbacks left us for the dead. Not Zambo so much but he was injured too and Belleti/Oleguer/Sylvie/VB were very poor defensively. But surprisingly that year Iniesta, Messi and Valdes stepped up and we were unlucky to lose it on head to head. Also we had no spirit whatsoever. Plus the midfield tremendously lacked for some strength, height and any type of defensive capabilities. Also since everything went through Dinho and he forgot how to run and how to beat his marker we were very slow in attack and build-up. That year was much, much different than the last one or this.

Injuries! Shift of focus from Dinho to Messi; it took some time to adapt to the transition+Messi got injured. That too just before El Classico! Eto'o made a brilliant comeback from injury against Valencia and we seemed confident before the Classico but Messi limped off against Celtic. Damn, we could've been 1 point behind with more than half the season to go. But the Messi injury was the knockout blow. Still we played well in some parts last season...the Zaragozza-Sevilla-Lyon run and when Xavi started scoring and we were only 2 points adrift in the second half of the season. But slowly but sorely we collapsed.
Also Eto'o was injured for a huge chunk of the season. BTW he was still scoring like mad, he had the highest goals/minutes ratio. And Henry unfortunately couldn't or didn't perform that well either.

Though if I had to sum it up in two words:No Hunger. Well not completely though, Dinho was munching burgers like there was no tomorrow...

·
Registered
8,261 Posts
Kudos to FR-Ten Cate for their successful period which expired too quickly because of the poor man management and tiny tactics drawer. Pep's additions:

- Better physical preparation that gave us 2 most important things: mad pressing in defense and ability to valorize the talent in attack.
- Set-pieces.
- Responsibility for the behavior, regardless of the stellar status.
- Dynamic changes of the formation throughout the game, often unpredictable.
- Bigger repertoire of scoring ways.
- Deep past-games analysis from him and Tito Vilanova, regardless of the opponent.
- Never under-estimating the opponent and taking any of them equally serious.
- More weed for other citizens of Barcelona from the next year, 'cause Frank plans to move out in 2009.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Last season was the biggest fraud ever. Nothing more frustrating than watching that endless slow-paced painful passing around the defense. It was more fun to turn the TV around 180 degrees and sit on the couch and watch the back of the TV.

·
Honorable Mention, February 2013 XT Photo Contest
21,026 Posts
Last season was the biggest fraud ever. Nothing more frustrating than watching that endless slow-paced painful passing around the defense. It was more fun to turn the TV around 180 degrees and sit on the couch and watch the back of the TV.
Yet, I prefer that to watching DeBoer hitting long balls to Kluivert, expecting Kluivert to manage a good touch.....

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Yet, I prefer that to watching DeBoer hitting long balls to Kluivert, expecting Kluivert to manage a good touch.....
That was a shitty team on paper. We were supposed to rule last season. Instead people were ordering barrels of coffee in order to stay awake, not to mention the excitement once every 15 minutes when we managed to get the ball past the half line.

·
Registered
429 Posts
i hardly saw any barca games in the time of the deboer brothers, they were excellent at ajax, whas it that bad?

what about the rest of that almost dutch team? Cocu should have been good...

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
Pep is way more more involved with the players than Frank ever was. He is also way more involved in training, planning and studying the opposition. Also Pep actually has tactics when compared to Rijkaard who put 11 expected names in an expected formation and sat on the bench expecting results.
Don't take the CL and 2 Ligas away from Rijkaard.. The team and the coach (Rijkaard) had won it all and probably lost their hunger and motivation.

As for Pep, he's turning out to be the real deal, he was a genius as a player, his coaching career couldn't have started any better, he's the right man for you guys and Laporta's choice was right - Again!

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
not related to this game, but i need your help

barca-real will be on 13.12/14.12.

I know, that the exact date is not confirmed - but normally its always on saturday or?

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
Probably Sunday seeing that there will be CL on the Tuesday (Barcelona), Wednesday (Real Madrid) before so to be fair to both teams, play on Sunday so that both teams have at least 3 days in between.

·
Senior Poster of the year 2007
40,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Probably Sunday seeing that there will be CL on the Tuesday (Barcelona), Wednesday (Real Madrid) before so to be fair to both teams, play on Sunday so that both teams have at least 3 days in between.
It seems that La Sexta announced that they will broadcast the game, so it'll be on Saturday night at 22:00.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I always thought that the offense was pretty good, or should I say entertaining, even during the Gaspart years. It was the defense (or lack of it) that made me frustrated, we could never keep tight and all the different goalies were useless. Maybe I was easily entertained then or my expectations of the team weren't that high.

About which day the game is baing played on, I wouldn't like it if it was being played on saturday, as that would be a excuse for the madridistas if they do a bad game. "you had one more day of rest than us" or "the RFEF is clearly against us". I hate excuses!

1 - 20 of 200 Posts