Xtratime Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lewis retires! what a coward!
World heavyweight champion Lennox Lewis has confirmed his retirement from professional boxing.

The 38-year-old Briton has not fought since June last year, when he stopped Vitali Klitschko after a tough fight.
He has been under pressure to decide on his future and the World Boxing Council set him a 1 March deadline to confirm a rematch with the Ukrainian.
His decision means that he is the first reigning heavyweight champion to retire since Rocky Marciano in 1956.

"This is a special day in my life," said Lewis.
"I would like to announce that 21 June 2003 was my The 38-year-old Lewis has fought just twice in the past 26 months, knocking out former undisputed champion Mike Tyson in eight rounds in Memphis in June 2002 and the stopping of Klitschko.
Lewis won the Olympic superheavyweight title for Canada in Seoul in 1988, but returned to Britain, where he was born, to turn pro. He has won 41 of his 44 pro fights.
"When I first started boxing I realised there was no straight road to the world title." he said.
"I realised there were bumps and potholes and curves but there is no straight way to becoming heavyweight champion of the world.

"I learnt on this trip that if you lose that doesn't mean the end of the boxing career.
"It's not easy being heavyweight champion, even harder to keep it and stay at the top.
"If you can't give 110% then you shouldn't do it - I've given 110% in my sport.
"I'm proud to be heavyweight champion."
Lewis said he was excited by the up-and-coming fighters in the heavyweight division.
"I am looking forward to seeing that next era of boxing - fighters like Audley Harrison and the Klitschkos," he said.
"I'm probably going to wish I was in there.
"It's been great honour to be the standard bearer for boxing in the last decade.
"Let the new era begin."

Lewis is to move into management with the SEM promotions agency, with which he had links while still boxing.
Lewis said: "I have got a new life and a new future and there is definitely more to Lennox Lewis than just boxing.
"I am definitely going to miss boxing because it is something which is in my blood and will be for a long time.
"But I've got so much knowledge to give to other boxers and athletes and it would be waste to keep it all to myself."
Yet another cowardly act from this complete fraud. Lewis is a disgrace to professional boxing! He's fought once a year for the last four or five years, and is afraid to fight Klitschko because he knows he'd get beaten.

·
Registered
7,880 Posts
The terrible thing is that unless the Klitchko's fight eachother theres no decent heavyweight matches out there now.

·
Registered
7,513 Posts
...and the level of top fights will drop. Lewis is a coward. He should keep fighting until he is beaten instead of just chickening out. :groan:

·
Registered
59,050 Posts
Timing was wrong indeed. Still he probably was the best ever European heavyweight I've ever seen and by a mile the best heavyweight Britain has produced for ages! and he seems to be a nice guy whenever you got to see him in interviews.

But indeed many of his fights were carefully picked and his only fight that had me really excited was his KO of Golota in one round. Where would you rank Lewis in the all time heavyweights list btw? in your top 5? top 10 ? top 20?

·
HEY, WHA' HAPPENED?
24,083 Posts
Coward? Errrrr, sorry, I always though quitting when you weren't a complete joke was always the way to go. Obviously some people think it would be better if everyone retired long after they have stopped being useful. Ali was a coward, that prick should get back into the ring!

:rollani:

·
Registered
4,219 Posts
The guy´s sin is to be smart? Sure he was probably the less exciting Champion ever, but he beat most of the figthers in his era. Ever since Tyson went to Jail no champ has been seen as a legit Champion simply because Iron Mike was too devastating.

Steffi Graff became even better after Monica Seles got Stabbed, Schumy had it a lot easier after Senna died, Zidane start winning world player of the year awards after ronaldo got Injured.

People will always say what if? but sadly we just can´t put all the greats together and accept reality as it is.

Lennox dominated in his era.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dominated nothing, never beat a top fighter in their prime, fought loads of bums and hasbeens. Ran from anyone who posed a threat.

He is not being smart by retiring, he is being a coward because he knows Klitchsko would have hammered him.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
He's a realist, not a coward. He has been a damn good boxer and deserves respect for beating everyone he ever fought. I admired him for bouncing back to beat McCall in 5 and he handled the first Holyfield situation with dignity when he was robbed of a great victory.

It's easy to say he's a coward, but put yourself in his shoes. You've got the choice of getting back into the ring after six months or so training and fighting Klitschko or being only the third ever boxer to retire with the title. If you get back into the ring you've got nothing to gain and everything to lose, if he beat Klitschko, (and I don't think this would happen but you can never say never if he was fully prepared) he wouldn't have achieved much. The people that love him aren't going to love him anymore if he beats Klitschko again... the people that hate him will hate him nonetheless. If he lost, the lasting memory of him would be his last fight when he stayed on well past his best and he'd have to retire empty-handed.

From a personal point of view I'd have loved to see him fight VK again and I was slightly disappointed that he called it a day, but for him he made the right decision. He should have fought on for himself and no-one else.

The only boxer who I think could have beaten Lewis in his era was Mike Tyson. But when Tyson was World Champ Lewis was not where near his peak and when Lewis was at his peak Tyson was a waster. Lewis at his best would be somewhere at the bottom of my all time top ten fighters, but Tyson when he was 21 would be in my top five, no probs.

I respect Lewis for all his achievements and he's given us some brilliant fights but I think he's made the right decision for himself and in most people's eyes he'll leave with dignity and his head held high.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Brilliant fights?? when??

He won and drew against Holyfield who was years past his best. Neither of those fights where any good.

He beat Tyson who was years past his best AND was forced to take medication to keep his anger under control ON LEWIS'S DEMAND. Hardly a fair fight against a sedated man who can't get angry.

He beat a bunch of bums and hasbeens in his career, was floored twice by decidedly average fighters and the ONLY time in his career he fought a top class heavyweight in their prime, he got his ass kicked and got lucky.

His has had about 6 fights in the last 6 years. He gave away two of his titles because he refused to fight Byrd and Ruiz and has stalled and denied Klitschko a rematch, until he was forced to give him one, and then he retired instead of fighting him. Hardly the actions of a great champ.

·
Registered
15,634 Posts
Like many have said, some of the last few years have been a disgrace. 1 fight per year isnt the way to go. I still remember Tyson and the old days when there were 4 or so world title fights per year. Lewis on the other hand fought once a year to hold the title for ages and lets not talk about the way he fought.....the most defensive and boring champion in ages

And some of you are defending Lewis for his retirement. I mean sure, i understand if he just retired after beating everyone as he wanted to go in history as a champion who retired on top. But the thing that fuking pisses me off, is that during his retirement speech he was saying htat he has beaten everyone and that there is noone worth a fight just now as he would beat all of them...........while everyone knows that he fought past it fighters (tyson comes to mind) and about the injustice against Klitchko and that if there was a rematch, Klitchko would knock the fuk out of him

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Doc_Rule said:
Brilliant fights?? when??

He won and drew against Holyfield who was years past his best. Neither of those fights where any good.

He beat Tyson who was years past his best AND was forced to take medication to keep his anger under control ON LEWIS'S DEMAND. Hardly a fair fight against a sedated man who can't get angry.

He beat a bunch of bums and hasbeens in his career, was floored twice by decidedly average fighters and the ONLY time in his career he fought a top class heavyweight in their prime, he got his ass kicked and got lucky.

His has had about 6 fights in the last 6 years. He gave away two of his titles because he refused to fight Byrd and Ruiz and has stalled and denied Klitschko a rematch, until he was forced to give him one, and then he retired instead of fighting him. Hardly the actions of a great champ.
His rematch with McCall, his destruction of Razor Ruddock and his last fight, against Klitschko have all been brilliant fights for different reasons. His best ever punch was his right hook knockout blow on Rahman in their rematch. The Holyfield fights weren't great fights but the way he handled himself with respect after being robbed in the first fight.

He has beat a bunch of bums and has beens but the only two boxers who could have beaten a primed Lewis, imo, were Tyson and Klitschko. Like I said, when Tyson was World Champion Lewis hadn't even become Olympic Champion and that fight was never going to happen. If anything, Tyson avoided fighting Lewis after that.

He fought Klitschko and won, whichever way you look at it, so he has beaten everyone he ever fought and has been the best Champion of the 90s. He's had eleven fights in the last six years the only fight with decent potential that hasn't happened is Byrd.

I'm not his biggest fan to say the least, but you can't deny that he's been the best boxer of his era. The Lewis of 99 would give any Champion ever a hard twelve rounds.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
His rematch with McCall was a farce, McCall had a mental breakdown in the ring!! Bruno had beaten McCall FFS!! McCall was a bum.

Razor Ruddock was never the same after Tyson beat him up, a bum, plain and simple.

Klitchsko kicked his ass, his cut was caused by the rough edging on the joint in lewis' glove. Lewis was awful in that fight, he looked fat and old.

Rahman is a bum, never been a decent fighter. One of the worst champs ever.

Holyfield won the second fight, easy to see, he was the aggresor, he did all the work, Lewis jabbed and ran.

Holyfield and Bowe at their best would have hammered him as well, no doubt in my mind.

Tyson wanted Lewis when he got out of prison, Lewis ran scared for years, when Tyson beat Bruno he called out Lewis and Lewis never answered so Tyson fought Holyfield.

At no point in Lewis' career was he ever near the level of the true greats.

A farce, the original Audley Harrison.

·
Registered
6,804 Posts
Why is a coward he fought everyone and beat everyone (well accept Rahman :groan: ).

He is a true champion and a perfect role model.

I would have loved to see him fight Klitchko again though:(

·
Registered
13,621 Posts
yes , hes scared so he retired , could any1 tell me what happened the first time he fought Klitchko ??????:)

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
he got his kicked by a much better fighter, that's what happened

1 - 16 of 16 Posts