Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Running a lax ship
17,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FAK-Levski

I mean, not that important, but one post per month should be planted here, right..?...;)

Friendly in Vienna:

FAK-Levski 3-0

Own goal (51.), Linz (70.) and Helstad (81.)

·
Registered
43,417 Posts
You are right ... one post a month is good enough ... :D

Anyway, thanks for the info ... can you give us teh starting line up for Levski. this is not the best of news, though they (I hate them ;) ) are just in the beginning of the summer period. BUT - Levski's goal again is teh CL and I think they have two or 3 Q rounds ... is FAK playing for the Euro caps?

Thanks again ...

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
CL, huh, without Gonzo :D they are half a team...

About the line up I can recall mostly the presence of Mecho, this season he should finally be a regular starter.
I want to see Lawal 2 cauz he is quite a good acquisition.
But this team can't make it to the CL.

May be if we combine Levski Litex and CSKA we'd have better chances :D

·
Registered
43,417 Posts
I am not sure actually what will happen ... mostly depends on who will be the President and the coach ... if you leave it to the CSKA guys in Sofia - the sneaks etc, you know - nothing good will come out of it ... if Grishata gets the full 100% on the team then probably Levski will dream of another title the next 10 years ... besides - BOTEV IS COMING BACK WITH A VENGANCE !!! :D :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

·
Star Player
2,744 Posts
Even if Levski have lost Ivanov, I'm sure they might be able to sign a few decent players that will ensure they're still in with a shout and might even make the CL. Lawal seems like a good signing, Nigerian international left winger who's quite skilful. But still, we'll be seeing a quite open title race for 02/03...

·
Registered
43,417 Posts
Hi David, do you follow BG football ...
You are right about Lawal I think. I would say he is one of the biggest star to have come and play in Bugalria. I really hope Levski can make it to the CL though I hate them domesticly. But I am happy for any BG team doing good in Europe an dI am cheering for them every time ...
As for Ivanov - he was very useful for Levski but I believe in Bg they can easily deal without him ...as for Europe - they could not make it with him so lets see what could happen without ...

·
Star Player
2,744 Posts
Well I'm a football fan in general but mostly an English fan, but I take a look at other leagues too. Lawal is, as you said, easily the biggest name to come to the Bulgarian League and probably a sign that teams outside the big leagues are becoming more competitive. Good European runs will give Levski, Litex, CSKA, etc. some cash so they can build stronger teams and do other good stuff.

Oh and another thing- let's hope Levski can rip Liverpool to shreds :D

·
Registered
43,417 Posts
David Votoupal said:

Oh and another thing- let's hope Levski can rip Liverpool to shreds :D
No question about that :D :D

Well, I am possetively surprised to see s.o. being interested in our teams ... of course you don't know too much about my Botev :depress: but we are going through the toughest period in out history ... just to tel you - the oldest (formed 1912) and traditionally the best non-capital (they call it provinsial but I don't like this word for my twon Plovdiv) team in Bulgaria of all times.

Anyway, I think Litex, CSKA and even Lecski :tongue: have a good chance to make it around Europe thi syear. Litex have gathered a lot of experience the last years, and are ready to attack the title again ... CSKA are traditionally strong outside BG and with a little luck they can produce few surprises. As for Levski I just don't know - they are a very good team with a fantastic coach but always have some psychological problems in Europe ... can't get over them. If they could, if they decide to forget their past for a while and clear ther mind ... they can actually make it!!!

How is Everton doing this year ... is Duncan Fergusen still there - the best player in the world in the air as far as I am concerned!

·
Star Player
2,744 Posts
Yeah Duncan might still be able to do the job for us, but we need more good players :D

Botev are newly promoted, right? Then how much hope do you have of them doing well in the coming season?

If Levski face the likes of Man U and Liverpool they'll have a huge home crowd behind them which will make it difficult for the visitors. Maybe Leeds could be the one to fall in Europe, as it doesn't look so good for them.

·
Registered
43,417 Posts
Ya, Botev is newly promoted but this was our first year in the second devision since the WWII as far as I remember it.

I just hope we will stay in the first devision ... the top 5, 6 are clear and we are not there ... we have lots of problems with the managment the last few tyears ... the light in the tunnel is the fact that our young team has become champions this year. I think at least 4 or 5 of these guys will be given first team play this year. This is the right thing to do now as we don't have the finaces to compete with the rest and are coming out (I hope :D) from our worst years ever ...

I really think Litex can do it ... but I am a little bit biased as I always support the non-capital teams big time ...

·
Star Player
2,744 Posts
It's good to build your team on youth, though you'll also need experienced heads. First time out of the first division since the war? :eek: Everton have only ever spent four seasons out of England's top level, 02/03 is our 100th season of top level football.

Just wondering, what's the financial situation for Bulgarian clubs? Do many clubs struggle to pay players and field good teams, or do the top clubs have it better than most in the region?

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
There are several clubs which we can call financially stable though they can't be compared to any of the European clubs.The rest hardly survive.The club from my native town for example can't start the preseason preparation because there is NO money.Nobody cares for the Sport as a whole anymore.These are my impressions!

·
Registered
43,417 Posts
I think only the top5 or 6 clubs are financially stable ... the rest are always fighting ti stay above the water ... besides, most of the money in the BG football are "dirty", they say ... but probably this is not only a Bugarian phenomenon ... ;)

·
Star Player
2,744 Posts
Oh yes... dirty money is not exclusive to any country, that much is true! Ditto lack of money for many clubs too...

It's true financially even the biggest Bulgarian clubs aren't rich compared to top European clubs but that shouldn't hinder them from building viable teams. European games bring money, so the likes of Levski, Litex and CSKA should benefit from that. At the same time, Bulgarian football because of this could see the gap widen between the top clubs and the rest and hence any notion of a competitive league would be destroyed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Money not the answer...

Hi,

Have just joined this forum. i am a researcher for a computer games firm, and at the moment i am researching BG teams - i have probabaly mailed some of you, sorry if that bothers you.

Reading your views on Money, and the BG teams chances in the CL, I am not so sure money is the all important thing, and in a few years i don't forsee it being as much of a problem for the smaller clubs as it is at the moment.

From what i can see the top BG teams (esp CSKA) have superb youth academies, where talent is being nurtured in the right way. The result of this can be seen at the moment - the high profile transfers of Gonzo and Vl Manchev will increase the reputation of Bulgarians as decent players, meaning bigger european clubs will begin to come shopping for players in Bulgaria. this, in turn, will mean more money as a whole within Bulgarian football, and less of the smaller teams struggling to 'keep their heads above water'.

I don't think this opinion is wholly naive - look at Man Utd and Liverpool. Beckham, Scholes and Gerrard would be world class players in any team in the world, and would each easily cost over £30m, Yet Man U and Liverpool have not had to pay a penny for their services.

So, Dirty money or not, if it is invested correctly it can be turned into good clean Silverware and profit - which can be regarded as the modern ambitions of any noteworthy professional Football Club.

Am i dreaming?

·
Registered
43,417 Posts
George and David,

Money is not the only thing for sure (look at Inter :howler: ) but you vcan't do it without ... of course a place in the Cl is what we all want but one year over there won't change too much ... as David has said - it will just widen the gap between the top few and the rest. But probab;y this is not that bad for our football ... but it won't lesten the gap between us and them. If s.o. can do it this shoudl be Levski or CSKA anyway ... Litex also hava a good chance but you never know when Gr.Ganchev (Litex president) will say enough is enough (he has said it twice already but then rebuild) and either move somewhere else or disappear from the football scene ... Lietx is a artificial team ... I like them and I cheer for them against the Sofia teams but this is not for real ...

Anyway, I know money - godo or bad - are money and we should not colide the sport with the politics behind it that much. We are just fans anyway ... otherwise, I have to giveup my own Milan immidiately as I dislike completely Silvio the politician ... but I won't :D

As for the young academies - well, foirst CSKA is probably not the best example. They have a good young teams but not that good - most of the great names that have been sold by CSKA the last, lets say, 15 years (and more, but then they remained there - communism was not selling west you know) came from other young academices - Stoichkov, Lechkov, Trifon Ivanov, then Stilain Petrov, Martin Petrov etc ... Levski is famous for its young teams and coaches but their greta star Gonzo came from Lokomotiv Plovdiv. And all in all this is the only big transfer they have made ... the last ones were probably Marian Hristov is Keiserslautern and Borimirov in Munchen 1860 but both of them are not their own products ...
There is no question that the trades of Manchev and Gonzo will have a posetive eefect on them and the NT ... and probably our teams as we just saw almost 7 milEuros of fresh money coming to the clubs ... you could argue these are money for the ownesr but so what - the owners have shown some willingness to invest big in some clubs (agani Levski and Litex at the top and most recently CSKA) so there we have fresh "clean"money ...

I think, both CSKA and Levski have amde a great move with thses trades ... the market is almsot close as tere are no money in it ... Italy, SPain and Germany are not investing ... ManU and L'pool being the only excpetion in EPL I guess ... So taking a low-profile and selling the players in the French 1st Devision (bioth Lile and Rennes are good teams I believe) for good money is a very very good move ... Lets hope it will pay dividents football-wise ...

·
Star Player
2,744 Posts
bono74, all very well said. Think about this- Russian clubs, for example, have been able to produce strong teams capable of competing in Europe and as a result the Russian League's ranking has been pushed up the European scale and they have two teams in the CL (one seeded). Ditto Ukrainian clubs, and their league is now quite competitive. Both leagues are even starting to attract foreign players, as both Spartak Moscow, Lokomotiv Moscow, Dynamo Kiev and Shaktar Donetsk all have a few foreign internationals in their ranks. Football has become a more cosmopolitan game and players move freely around.

If Bulgarian clubs can put in a couple of decent runs, it should improve the league's European rankings considerably. As such, Bulgarian clubs would also get more favourable draws (they seem to now already, relatively-speaking of course) and perhaps a base to build for further success.

The point about Levski though is that by signing players such as Lawal, a proven player at club and international level with considerable experience, they are making their intensions clear. They want to be seen as a club which can attract quality players rather than one which always has to sell its star players (despite selling Ivanov). They also want to build a base for not only domestic dominance but also strong European performances. Some might think that for Lawal, moving from Holland to Bulgaria would be seen as a "retrograde" step- but moving to a club with apparently (in their eyes at least) guaranteed domestic dominance and the prospect of decent European runs would hardly be a backward step.

·
Star Player
2,744 Posts
CL qualifying draw has been made. If Levski get past Skonto Riga (which they are expected to do), they'll face either Dynamo Kiev or Punyik Yerevan in the 3rd qualifying round.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
They are really expected to got to the Third round.They have to.
Then comes ...Dynamo sounds quite intersting.Great show:D

1 - 20 of 81 Posts