Xtratime Community banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Rising Star
1,065 Posts
(Official Thread S.S. Lazio - Internazionale)

... I'm starting the match thread vs. Inter!!!:D :D :D :D :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil:

Seriously, now, the atmosphere in Rome is virtually unanimous: we should let Inter win! There are several reasons for that.

First is just looking at the table. Inter is first, one point ahead of Juve and two ahead of roma. At first it seems Juve has a better chance of surpassing Inter if we beat them, but considering the fact that Juve plays Udinese which is not entirely safe, it could turn up like this: Lazio wins+Juve draws+Roma wins = Roma wins the Scudetto(perish the thought!) Trust me, this is not a crazy combination!

What's so bad about Roma winning? We need look no further then last year, when for a whole week the City of Rome was thrashed, littered mutilated in a rampage not seen since Alarich! Tons of garbage was left in Circo Massimo, shop windows were smashed and riomisti engaged into sports such as "Laziale hunting" or seting up road blocks through which Laziali couldn't pass and so on? Do you want your brothers in Rome to go through that again, only this time 10 times as bad?

Second reason is our relations with Inter fans. We had a great relationship with them for years and it has always stood regardless of the fact that Inter hasn't beaten us since 1995. or that they took two precious points from us last season. Why should harm our best friends to help our worst enemies?

Third, even if we win, what good will the three points be? Look at the schedule of our competitors: Milan plays at home against Lecce which is relegated already, Chievo plays at home vs. Atalanta which is safe and has nothing to play for, while Bologna goes away to Brescia and that is the only game we can rely on. Realistically, there is very little chance of even a UEFA cup spot. And what if we don't make it? It's not the end of the world it has happened to bigger clubs then ours.

These were my points on which you should reflect. I believe you'll reach the proper conclusion.

·
International
8,545 Posts
If Lazio doesn't play to win, it only goes to show a lack of integrity by the players and the club.

I understand that the tension between Roma and Lazio, but if the players let their "hatred" of Roma outweight the love of their own club, then something's wrong. These are professional players who play for Lazio and I'm sure they won't let the influence of the fans get to them.

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
and with all the meeting Crag had with moggi in the recent months:D

I find it hard to believe that Players will treat this game any different.

Wishes of the fans on the stadium will be/ are obvious to everyone. They will make it clear that they dont want a victory.

The issue is.....is the Roma hatred more important than Lazio's financial situation getting even slightly better?

Fan on the stadium & fan in Rome sees the things through his heart. Me, from the distance cant see it that way. I'll rather have Roma Champion & Nesta's future in the team safe, than Inter champion & Nesta up for sale.

But considering how the guys play......who knows, maybe they'll actually lose, fair & square.

·
International
8,545 Posts
It's one thing for Laziali to say that they don't really care if they lose the game, which is understandable. But it's an entirely different thing for any to say that they hope they lose, or that they hope the players don't play to win, however they go about wording it.

·
International
8,545 Posts
I will, but keep in mind, I'm not suggesting that Lazio the club will not play to win, I'm more concerned in this case, with some of you "wanting" your club to lose.

So do you think that in the game, if Lazio score a goal that their own fans will "boo" at this? If it happens, it'll be a disgrace to the club and those who truly love the club won't try to cause it any disgrace.

·
Registered
22,168 Posts
Well- If Lazio puts in an effort there will be no complaints from me.
However- overall I have to agree with IVO and JKris (and some Laziali too I'm sure).

You won Lo scudetto two years ago because a team that is not half as strong as Lazio, which had less to play for, didn't give in, and honered it's professional obligation. That- and nature, or God if you are believers :D .
Moreover- it would clearly be detrimental to the clubs image as a whole- seing that Lazio is a public company which also relies on results and proper financing- deliberately causing harm to it's financial opportunities isn't likely to be popular with the market- not to say public opinion. Getting a UEFA place is much, much better than the Inter Toto.
But I don't really need to say this as I'm sure Cragnotti and the players know already :).

Ciao.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I undertstand the problem with this. I have been to Rome and felt the hatred close by. You don't find hatred between two clubs like that anywhere. It must be Feyenoord and Ajax, Olympiakos and Panthinaikos that gets near to our hatred, but still. We can't lose on purpose. We have to think about our honour. It is not fair play, and the Inter fans do not want to win that way. Always should we do our best, always. Others can't take us seroiusly if we do this. However, it is a problem if Roma win, a big problem. We should take the outcome no matter what it will be as professionals though. If you are a soccer fan, you have to take the good moments as well as the bad moments. You can't refuse to go through the bad moments, then you are no soccer fan.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Actually, there have so many such hesitation these days, both in the forum and in mind. If can, we all like barter anything except fair and fighting spirit for Roma's lose without any doubt.

Now, the reply from a Juven fun above made me decide to say NO !!!!

Yes, we love fair play and we've already accepted what fair play brought us. BUT, NOW, don't tell me you -- JUVEN & ROMA -- need one more fair-play from Lazio, you don't deserve FAIR PLAY, she's already died cos yours rape, time after time's !!!!!!:devil:

I don't want speak anything more.
Just waiting the judgement from God, you thief !!!!

·
Flop
5,498 Posts
I really don't understand why there is so much focus on if Lazio will loose thi match on purpose or not, while there is the exact same situation is in Torino but NO ONE CARES ABOUT THAT. The feelings between Torino and Juve fans are about the same as between Lazio and roma. Torino could loose their match on purpose too to try and prevent Juve from winning. Why don't ppl pay attention to that?

I don't know how the Lazio management and players want this to go, but there is no doubt what the fans at Olimpico would want. I don't really care if Inter or Juve wins Lo Scudetto as long as it isn't roma. To be honest, I hope Lazio wins to take the UEFA cup and roma looses. If Inter or Juve then take the title I really don't care.

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
I know some PPL will disagree with me, but at this point in time i cant care less who wins the scudetto.

The Glory of Victory & Misery of Defeat are part of football. We had Roma fans gloating for a year. I can live with another one, IF this does good to my team.

I'm a fan of football. The name of my team is Lazio. We are talking about a football game.

Let the better team win.

·
Rising Star
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
laziali, thanks for pointing out Derby della Mole! I've been to some Torino forums as well and the atmosphere over there is about the same as in Rome amongst Laziali. Turin derby can potentially be very nasty, if it wasn't for scores of riot police occupying the city on matchday!

·
International
6,519 Posts
Sorry once again, Lightoller, but I disagree with the fact you want Lazio to lose against Inter to make sure Rioma doesn't win it again. How can you say that ? Sorry, but I just don't get it. If Roma fans really destroy the city of Rome after winning the scudetto, then what is the point of winning it anyway ? You win and destroy things, you lose and destroy. SO what's the point then ? We are all football fans, we are here to enjoy the game called football, and if we are real fans, we should not tolerate this kind of behaviour. This is disgusting to even talk about, because money is not the way to play the football, and so is not cheating in any way. Serie A is allready known as a league of CHEAT, and I for once don't want to see this happenings at Curva Nord.

If we lose the fair way, I will be fine, but if we play to lose, than I will be embarrased as hell. Sorry, but I am not a die hard fan, I enjoy football and I love Lazio, but to see Serie A being screwed even more as it is, no thanks. One has to think about it first.

·
Rising Star
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Matjaz, read again about the destruction of Rome part!

Anyway here are excerpts from an article from Il Messagero by Vincenzo Cerrachio. I translated it to the best of my abilities, but I think you'll get the sense of it.

Here they are, the "decoubertainianes", juventini alla Mughini in the front row! Regularity, loyalty, sportivity, stile: please, Lazio, do your work on the pitch, play like... But let the fans be fans. That of Lazio is universally anti-romanista and predominantly anti-juventino, because of the previous Scudetto venoms...

They'll support Inter and not an entry in Europe, not likely but always possible? And so what? What is so bad about it? In this football of ours, ful of whispers, suspicious stuff, premiums for a win that nobody talks about but everybody knows? In this football where the announcements of referees is awaited with anxiety? (...)

To speak the roman way: if Lazio contributes to Roma winning lo scudetto, leaving Inter as well as Juve just one point in two matches, Lazio fans would not only not be gratefull, but would be screwed for the second time! (...)

There are those who think that Roma is out of it. And who knows why but nobody speaks of Torino whose fans share the feelings of Laziali but this time directed towards Juventus. The fact remains that biancocelesti fans, to put icing on the cake, befriended with Interisti, will not be so happy with Juve winning it either, excluding Nedved. If for nothing else then for the last day of 1973. in which it was Roma who submitted to Juve "determination" while Napoli didn't do any favours to Chinaglia and Wilson. Why take risks?This is the point. And one more thing, do not condemn those who speak of a pitch invasion. Lazio will be dedicated, give what it has left, and follow the results of it's competitors. This is the game, this is what counts. And if the Olipmpico turns out to be entirely black and blue nobody cry "scandal" please! The real scandals are not publicized. Or better, not public.

·
Registered
415 Posts
My personal opinion on this controversial matter is that I DO want Lazio to play to win, BUT I hope Inter is the better team and wins it on their own merits.

While I would do anything to see Roma not win the title this year, I don't want to see my team lay down and lose on purpose. I'm sure that makes me seem hypocritical, but that's how I feel.

However, I do think that a Lazio victory is unlikely. Why? First of all we've hardly been brilliant this year, but that's beside the point because we have such a fantastic record against Inter in recent times. The big reason, in my opinion, is that there will be 80,000 fans at the Olimpico cheering for Inter and demanding their own players to lose. Now even for a professional who expects this to happen, this is not a situation that is easy to play in. I fully expect our players to be distracted on the pitch and play disorganized, and if Inter scores early or if our UEFA Cup rivals go up against their opponents, I think we'll see a very demoralized Lazio team on the pitch getting torn to shreds against a jubilant Inter.

Now in the unlikely event of a Lazio victory, JUVE HAD BETTER WIN AGAINST UDINESE. As much as I dislike Juve and would love to see Nedved eat his "bigger club" words, I dislike Roma more, especially given their championship last season.

EDIT to add: I have nothing against those who want Lazio to lie down and lose. I understand the enormous anti-Roma sentiment among Italian Lazio fans and I won't begrudge them of it. And even though I hope Lazio makes Inter work for it, if I were at the Olimipico I'd give my voice to the other 80,000 cheering for Inter to win.

This is a very complicated situation, really a no-win situation for the club overall. But for the fans, there is only one way to win in this situation, and that is to lose.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts