Xtratime Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It disgust me when all the people keeps having a go at Heskey for his performance against Sweden..They just don't realise that Heskey IS a Centre Forward!!!...

Ditto for the Owen situation..how do u expect him to score when he doesn't get the service???

Having given my above view, I am sure that England will improve dramatically with Heskey and Owen as our forwards...

The question remains about who should play on the Left...

My vote goes to Wayne Bridge ...

Come On England!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I agree, we MUST play Heskey upfront. He will form an effective partnership with Owen against Argentina if we play him upfront. I hope Sven does.

I would go for Sinclair on the left, as he can put crosses in and get forward, he'll also score goals. I would go for Butt and Scholes in the centre and Beckham on the right. The defence and keeper would be the same but with Brown possibly replacing Mills.

·
Registered
9,967 Posts
Everyone is saying that Owen was disappointing though. Sad to hear that. Even some wanted him dropped for the Argentina game.:( And Heskey? Of course, little good words for his contribution, which is ordinary that night. He was average, but not poor. And so were every English player that played, except Cole.

Did anyone see Dudek last night? Great stops, especially the double stops at the end. But just to add one thing.. Does anyone realise that Dudek could get caught at times and not move. Reminds me of Westerveld at times, but generally, his reflexes in close situations are superb. It is just that sometimes his judgement, well... I am not particularly impressed yet. But it is ok.
He is a great goalkeeper for us and Poland.:)

Now, I am watching Hamann does what he does week in week out for Liverpool -- Winning the ball. Great stuff by the German. One of the best ball-winner and/or No4 man. If not for his less than impressive goalscoring records, he would have been better than Viera.:)

paw:)

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
I watched Dudek too. I think he could catch some of the crosses but he did not. Anyway, some great stop by him and if our SH x2 are polish, then... hehehe.... Poland will have the best defence.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I heard people criticise Owen as well and i defended him. Hes a striker, not a midfielder. Hes there to score the goals primarily and provide goals secondly. The service was non-existent. I'm not a great fan of Heskey either but hes being played out of position so what do people expect? Vassell and Owen are too similar so Heskey should be upfront. Although actually we needed an intelligent passer of the ball, like Sheringham, as Gerards injured and Beckham wasn't 100% fit.

I'd play this formation:

--------------------Seaman

Mills----Ferdinand-----Campbell-----Bridge

Beckham---Butt------Scholes--------A.Cole

---------------Sheringham
-------------------------Owen

I think Heskey should do well though against Argentina so maybe he should play. I remember the last time we played them and Heskey was brilliant. Hes big, physical and fast and the Argies didn't like that. He is also able to fall over at a moments notice, a skill more associated with Argentina, so he can annoy them quite a bit.

Dudek should've saved that second goal but hes still one of the best keepers in the WC. Hamann was ok but Duff was brilliant. We have to buy him.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Personally I'd keep Sheringham for later in the match and have Owen and Heskey up front.

Heskey is a striker and if you play anyone out of position its a gamble. Personally I thought he played ok against Sweden - kept the ball, passed to colleagues, made some pretty good challenges - no midfield runs with the ball obviously but what do you expect from a striker on the left wing ! When he moved to the middle he was far more effective.

I'm not surprised he's getting stick though. Everyone needs a scapegoat when things don't go right (even though it wasn't Heskeys fault ! Our defence for the Swedish goal was second division stuff, but obviously thats Heskeys influence) - he's a perfectly capable striker that will cause any team problems. But again I think most footie fans have their feet on the ground - just the prawn eating glory hunters having their gripe as usual. The simple reason we drew that match was because our midfield didn't exist.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Both of our lads scored ...

Owen's first touch was great and the finish cool

Heskey was a bit lucky with his - Keeper should have got it ...and he showed tremendous pace and power and nearly got one earlier ...

The goals will give them the lift they need and hopefully they will carry on the confidence into the 1/4s....

Both went off after that ...Owen with groin strains and Heskey with knocks but thats just precautionary measure...

Come on Lads!!!

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
I was so happy to see them score. This will give them the confidence, especially in the Brazil game, if they win. Brazil is good @ attack but their defence is weak. With Owen and Heskey back in scoring, England have the chance to win the game!

Come on Lads! You can do it!

·
Registered
516 Posts
Very pleased to see them both score, especially Owen. I also pleased to see Robbie the God get some time on the pitch. The disappointing thing is by then England were just sitting back and defending so God only got once chance and even that wasn't that good.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts