Xtratime Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These three players are between forward and striker but I have to select one to them.

To be clear, I'd fix my criteria that these three players could be considered as striker if they were outstanding in penalty box and being great in instinct of striking only.

As we know, These three have been known as running forward who usually took thier speed and technique to beat defenders and I mostly saw them did not score in penalty box in clip.

Example, Puskas was prolific scorer but I still rank him as forward because he hardly wait the ball in penalty box

Please help me for this point.

·
Registered
6,487 Posts
I'd label Quarentinha as a forward since he was equally capable of leading the line and attacking from out wide, and he didn't always play in the center for Botafogo.

Ademir de Menezes was an atypical "9" (small and quick), but also played out wide more than once. I'm certain he played as a "9" for Vasco, though.

Not sure about Leonidas.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Dekalog is right, Quarentinha was more of a ponta-de-lança (mix of AM/FW of today), but he could also play as a striker. In the late 50's, with Paulo Valentim as the striker, Quarentinha played behind him in his original position.
When Paulo Valentim left Botafogo and Amarildo arrived, Quarentinha became the improvised striker and hat a lot of sucess there as well, becoming Botafogo's all time scorer, but his original style was indeed coming from behind.

Botafogo in the late 50's: Didi (playmaker CM/AM), Garrincha(right winger), Zagallo(left winger), Quarentinha(ponta-de-lança, mix of AM/FW of today) and Paulo Valentim (striker).

Botafogo in the early 60's: Didi (playmaker CM/AM), Garrincha(right winger), Zagallo(left winger), Amarildo(ponta-de-lança, mix of AM/FW of today) and Quarentinha (striker).

·
Administrator
29,386 Posts
I would say they are neither, when they played such distiction didnt existed and in a offensive line you had two functions: scoring guys and wingers. All central attackers had to be good scorers and play in both positions .During Leonidas even more. For example, who would say which one was a striker or which one was a foward between Pele and Coutinho if the great power of the duo was the capacity to change places and function all the time?
What was sometime usual is that you use to have a stronger, for physical contact player, and other more mobily.
And yes, Ademir first years was in the left wing. He moved to the middle with the arrival of Chico if i am not mistaken.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Barsileiro;

Are you sure Ademir and Leonidas were an outstanding player in penalty box as I set definition of striker in my series ?

As I saw clip of Ademir, I always saw him just score after his accelrelation.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Barsileiro;

Are you sure Ademir and Leonidas were an outstanding player in penalty box as I set definition of striker in my series ?

As I saw clip of Ademir, I always saw him just score after his accelrelation.

Dearman, I've read some more about them and by your criteria, Ademir should probably be in the forwards list. Ademir was famous because of his pace and his running coming from behind to the penalty box. His playing style actually influenced the creation of the Ponta-de-lança (AM/ST) position. http://geniosdofutebol.blogspot.com/2006/09/ademir-menezes.html

About Leonidas, most brazilian websites have him as a "Centroavante" (striker).

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
Leonidas was a striker, alright. Ademir and Quarentinha were more versatile and could play as either strikers or forwards, but Leonidas was an extremely agile and fast striker.

·
Bernard > Messi
2,687 Posts
Did anyone here watched full games of these players?

Based on what I read, I would choose leonidas...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts