Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
6,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a strange game against the brummies,one in which we never really took off,we welcome Leicester at home.The Foxes have had a terrible run of late and been dropping points regularly.

A win and nothing less will please Fergie and the fans but it'll be interesting to see what team he puts out for the game.Ronaldo could start having started the game on the bench on Saturday.If Saha's achilles doesnt flare up again then he should lead our line up front while at the back everybody picks themselves.Fergie has stated that Carroll will be in goal for the remainder of the season and so far the Northern Irishman hasnt disappointed at all.

WE should start with two strikers since we are playing at home and perhaps even see Bellion or Kleberson given a start on the right flank to give Giggsy a much needed break.

Hopefully,it'll be a good win in front of the home fans.

·
Registered
9,811 Posts
Nothing less than a win will be acceptable, Leicester have struggled with life in the premiership and look to be heading back to the Nationwide. I'd go for a 3-1 win, United at home will be to strong for Leicester. There only real threat upfront is muzzy Izzet, he has to be watched carefully.

·
Registered
9,325 Posts
I dont think its gonna be a very difficult game for us. Leicester are not having the best of forms and we seem to be getting back to form. It should be an easy win. I predict a 3-0 win. Hopefully our defenders will do a great job and we'll have a clean sheet at the end of the game.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
No pressure at all on us now, and Leicester aren't exactly in the best of form; so I think we'll really do a job on them tonight. 3-0 or 4-0.

I'd go for a 4-2-3-1 formation, considering Ruud is still injured.

---------------------Carroll--------------------

---Gaz-------Brown--------Micky-----O'Shea---

------------Fletcher--------Keane--------------

---Ronaldo-----------Scholes-----------Giggs--

----------------------Saha---------------------

Leave Ole out for this one to give him a well deserved rest. Fletch playing in the middle where he's obviously at his best.

I'm really looking forward to this one. I'm just about to leave the house now to go to the match, hopefully I'll be coming back with a smile on my face.:)

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Tonight's teams:

Man Utd: Carroll, Gary Neville, Brown, Silvestre, O'Shea, Ronaldo, Butt, Scholes, Bellion, Forlan, Saha.

Subs: Howard, Giggs, Djemba-Djemba, Solskjaer, Fletcher.

Leicester: Walker, Thatcher, Dabizas, Heath, Scimeca, McKinlay, Izzet, Freund, Stewart, Bent, Dickov.

Subs: Nalis, Scowcroft, Guppy, Canero, Gillespie.

Referee: Mark Halsey.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
20 minutes played, still 0-0 but intesresting choice of front players and midfielders. Butt, Bellion and Forlan have all been given starts. I guess its an easy match, with 3 points garunteed, so fergie can afford to rest some of the better players. Nice to see Butt, Bellion and Forlan all getting starts as they need the games.

3-0 is my prediction

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
kingkobra83 said:
I guess its an easy match, with 3 points garunteed, so fergie can afford to rest some of the better players.
3-0 is my prediction
is that a touch of arrogance i detect Kobra ? surely not ,you are normally so saintlike and must have just been making a little joke :tongue: :D

about the game,sterile,boring,no invention,and Leicester were even worse , i wish i'd watched Eastenders instead.:(

·
63,337 Posts
Fred Elliot said:
Butty does a job Jern, and does it well. But feel free to shoot Sven if you wish;)
maybe that's why there was a queue of clubs rushing to sign him when he went on the list ? oh hang on there wasn't was there ? :D

he can stand there and pass sideways,he gives the ball away quite well when under no pressure and also his wrestling moves are coming on a bundle.

but when it comes to playing football he doesn't have a single aspect of his game better than Parker.

the only thing in his favour is the red and black shirt with the devil crest.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Poor performance tonight, with a few exceptions. We did enough to win though and that's the main thing.

Just a few rough ratings for anyone who didn't see the match:

Roy Carroll - Dodgy start, I dont think the defence trusted him 100% after that. Took a few crosses quite well, didnt have alot to do apart from that. 5

G.Neville - Great game for the Captain tonight, good defensively, in the air aswell, took his goal well considering hes not a natural finisher (you would never guess with his goal tally! ), proving yet again that he's one of the most solid RB's in the league. 8

Wes Brown - Solid performance from Wes against a very physical attacking force. Continues to prove critics wrong7

Micky - Swept up well, good performance. 7

O'Shea - Better, got forward alot more, won the ball quite a few times too. 7

Bellion - Didnt do himself any favours tonight, some promising runs but also alot of disapointing moments, after an improvement in recent matches, he went back to his headless chicken act: Poor. 5

Paul Scholes - Didnt keep things ticking over as he usually does, but some good moments of creativity. 7

Nicky Butt - doesnt influence the game as Roy does, not a brilliant passer and doesnt drive us, swept up well but nothing special. 5

Cristiano Ronaldo - Yet another great performance from the lad, we instantly look to him to give us something going forward, and the defenders are scared off him, I thought he dragged us through the game tonight. Man of the Match, 9

Louis Saha - Ran his arse off and worked all night, but a frustrating match for Louis. 6

Diego Forlan - Looking out of place, again. I wasnt aware that he had signed a sponsership deal with Nike iceskates slipping. On his arse as often as on his feet. I didnt think he gave us anything at all. Nice guy, but if he stays on in the summer then it will do him no good. 4

Fletch - Promising when he came on, showed a lot of invention and nice touches.7

·
63,337 Posts
I'd agree with Ronaldo as MOM but there wasn't much to beat tonight,i thought he started showboating,and the Left wing is not his best position,decent defenders will keep him on his left foot and suss him there.

Butt was appalling though,Scholes looked like he was asleep and Forlan is division One material.

also Micky Silvestre :eek: if he can play for France so can i ;)

United need lots of new players in the summer.

·
Registered
6,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Leicester came with a gameplan of not conceding more than a goal and in the process if they lose the game then so be it.Well it worked out perfectly for them though you won't find any United fan complaining.:D

Ronaldo is one special talent.The natural successor to Luis Figo for the Portugal NT,this guy will just continue to grow on and on.His talent is just scary and what an oppurtune moment for the decaying Figo to pass over the torch to this brilliant youngster.:proud:

Diego Forlan has probably played his last game in United colors.I thought that maybe this guy had it in him to wear the United shirt but I have been proven disastrously wrong.He lacked the passion and effort one comes to expect from a United player and his days at Old Trafford will end this summer.

Special mention about the defence who's been solid once again.Wes Brown is continuing to prove Fergie right with one solid performance after the other and kudos to him.Gaz was simply brilliant tonight and a nice goal to cap it all off.:D

A good result for us though it wasnt a great game to watch.Leicester City have nothing to offer at this level and are better off relegated so best of luck to them.Only 3 points behind Chelsea now and who's to bet that we won't be finishing the season on 2nd place.:)

·
International
9,526 Posts
Jern Lizardhous said:
maybe that's why there was a queue of clubs rushing to sign him when he went on the list ? oh hang on there wasn't was there ? :D

he can stand there and pass sideways,he gives the ball away quite well when under no pressure and also his wrestling moves are coming on a bundle.

but when it comes to playing football he doesn't have a single aspect of his game better than Parker.

the only thing in his favour is the red and black shirt with the devil crest.
Jern, like many people on here, you attack when theres no need to;) :tongue: 'Butty does a job', does not imply 'Butty is the greatest player who has walked the earth':cool: You can say what you like, but Butt was vital to us winning the European Cup and also, in England beating Argentina in 2002. For that, he has my respect:star: However, he is no creative genius, and I don't think anyone here is going to argue that point (although I might give it a go, if I've nothing better to do later on today;) )

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Forlan is getting absoloutley ripped to pieces on a phone-in I'm listening to for not applauding the supporters, and then running off down the tunnel.

Bit harsh IMO.

Diego has everything possible to make him a United player except talent. He loves the club and has a huge ambition to make it. It's just a shame he cant get it together because he is a really top lad, with stories of him giving his wages to his disabled sister, and visiting the kids in Manchester hospitals in his spare time.

He wont make it, we've probably known that for a long time. But I think that tonight, for the first time, Diego realised that. And it broke his heart.

Let's give him a fond fairwell, not for his footballing talent but for how much he wanted this.

With all the tales of money sniffing players and players professing their love for a team until another club comes in with a few grand extra in his paypacket. It is really good to see a player who would do anything he could to be at United. Unfortunately, he just couldn't do enough.

I really hope he finds his feet somewhere else and makes it, he deserves it.....

·
Registered
9,325 Posts
SuicideDD said:
Let's give him a fond fairwell, not for his footballing talent but for how much he wanted this.

With all the tales of money sniffing players and players professing their love for a team until another club comes in with a few grand extra in his paypacket. It is really good to see a player who would do anything he could to be at United. Unfortunately, he just couldn't do enough.

I really hope he finds his feet somewhere else and makes it, he deserves it.....
I sincerely hope he does well somewhere else. He might not have made it here, but he will always be remembered fondly by the true United fans for his effort. He had the heart to be a United player, unfortunately not the talent.

·
International
9,526 Posts
Forlan was vital to us winning the league last season...he scored some crackers when we really needed it....its a shame it hasn't happened for him this season, because like you say, he's a top man.

·
63,337 Posts
Fred Elliot said:
but Butt was vital to us winning the European Cup and also, in England beating Argentina in 2002. For that, he has my respect:star: However, he is no creative genius, and I don't think anyone here is going to argue that point (although I might give it a go, if I've nothing better to do later on today;) )
no that's the point Fred,he wasn't vital,any muppet could have done his job, he does easy stuff,he works hard but has no football in him,he was just lucky to be a yoot at United,if he had been at Oldham he would be playing at Birmingham at best,him and Phil Neville are the two luckiest footballers alive.:eek:

·
63,337 Posts
SuicideDD said:
Diego has everything possible to make him a United player except talent.
possibly the funniest thing i have ever read on Xtratime :howler:

exactly,he hasn't got any talent,i could make it at OT if i had talent,i reckon i'd have probably won 100 caps for England as well if i had been blessed with TALENT ;)

can't you see the lunacy in your statements?

Forlan is shit at football,he has basic technical ability but he is useless all the same,he doesn't know where the defenders are or where his teammates are,he is rubbish at football and all the hard work in the world won't make him a PL player,maybe he should go into labouring where hard work is all important and you don't need any skill.:tongue:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts