Xtratime Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
James rescues point for Man City at Leicester
tribalfootball.com - April 25, 2004

Manchester City goalkeeper David James pulled off a brilliant penalty save to rescue a point against Leicester City yesterday.
James Scowcroft had given the Foxes hope with a 65th minute header after Michael Tarnat's first half opener for the visitors.

Then eight minutes from time Muzzy Izzet was hauled down in the box by Tarnat, sparking fury amongst City players who believed Izzet had previously handled the ball. Paul Dickov stepped up to take the spot-kick, but saw his effort saved by an inspired James.

City boss Kevin Keegan: "It was a great game of football given what was at stake and we stood up to them.

"Team spirit was good and we were only missing two vital ingredients - composure and confidence.

"But now we don't go into the bottom three tomorrow and we've still got it in our own hands and might be able to drag somebody in.

"Whilst it might be tense we've got to handle it like we did today and find that bit of composure now."

·
Registered
38,223 Posts
I don't get why the media plays up this fracas. No surprises to see the Daily Mail making the most of it. They're always making a mountain out of a molehill when it comes to city. I can remember the time our players were found in a DRY BAR at leicester's ground. Shock horror.

It was a tense game, and leicester didn't exactly hold back, especially Freund. I doubt you can talk of the lack of commitment the way the players pleaded with the ref for a disgraceful decision. It was a foul but Izzet clearly handled and justice fortunately prevailed as Dickov proved he's still a blue.

A decent point especially now with Leeds currently losing to Pompey 2-0 with 15 minutes left. Hopefully pompey can see it through. If so it'll mean we're 3 points above leeds with a goal difference better by 33 goals as things stand.

Play up Pompey!

~ The Green ;)ne

·
Registered
38,223 Posts
Penalty to Leeds which is scored by Harte :(

C'mon Pompey fight the pressure for City!

10 minutes left. Even if Leeds pull it back to 2-2 they'll be 2 points behind still with inferior goal difference, buts let not think like that...

~ The Green ;)ne

·
Registered
38,223 Posts
Its over at Elland Road!

2-1 to pompey to leave leeds languishing 3 points behind with an inferior goal difference. They basically need 4 points from their last 3 games and for us to pick up 0 to stay up. I cannot really see that happening, touch wood.

~ The Green ;)ne

1 - 4 of 4 Posts