Xtratime Community banner

21 - 40 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
40,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
after Foxes pre-season completed, Rodgers is focusing now on Wolves match next Sunday

·
Registered
40,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Harry Maguire: Man Utd sign Leicester defender for world record £80m

Manchester United have signed England centre-back Harry Maguire from Premier League rivals Leicester City for £80m - a world record fee for a defender.

The 26-year-old has agreed a six-year contract at Old Trafford, with the option of a further year.

The fee for Maguire eclipses the £75m Liverpool paid Southampton for Virgil van Dijk in January 2018.

"When Manchester United come knocking on your door, it is an incredible opportunity," said Maguire.

Maguire is the second most expensive signing in English top-flight history after new team-mate Paul Pogba (£89m), and becomes the second most expensive British player after Wales winger Gareth Bale, who joined Real Madrid from Tottenham for £85m in 2013.

He is United manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's third summer signing, after right-back Aaron Wan-Bissaka arrived from Crystal Palace for £50m and winger Daniel James joined from Swansea for £15m.

Maguire added: "From my conversations with the manager, I am excited about the vision and plans he has for the team.

"It's clear to see that Ole is building a team to win trophies. I am now looking forward to meeting my new team-mates and getting the season started."

Solskjaer said: "Harry is one of the best centre-backs in the game today.

"He is a great reader of the game and has a strong presence on the pitch, with the ability to remain calm under pressure.

"He will fit well into this group both on and off the pitch."

Premier League clubs have now spent more than £1bn this summer with three days remaining until the transfer window closes.

From £2.5m to a world record fee

United had a long-standing interest in Maguire but backed away from a deal 12 months ago because they felt the £70m asking price at the time was too high.

Maguire, who signed a five-year contract at Leicester last September, made 69 Premier League appearances for the club he joined from Hull City in 2017.

He began his career at Sheffield United, making 139 league appearances for the Blades before moving to Hull in 2014.

He was part of the side that earned promotion to the Premier League via the play-offs in 2016, but left for Leicester in a £17m deal following the Tigers' relegation 12 months later.

Maguire made his England debut in August 2017 and helped his country reach the semi-finals of the 2018 World Cup in Russia, scoring in the 2-0 quarter-final win over Sweden.

He becomes one of seven centre-backs in United's squad, alongside Eric Bailly, Phil Jones, Victor Lindelof, Marcos Rojo, Chris Smalling and Axel Tuanzebe.

Analysis
Maguire's former Hull team-mate Michael Dawson, speaking on BBC Radio 5 Live

What makes him an £80m player is his distribution. He can bring the ball out from the back, he is comfortable in tight areas, he gets out of trouble. That is what makes him an elite player.

He is one of those lads who will walk into the dressing room and settle in straight away.

One day you can see him being a captain of Manchester United.

·
Registered
40,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
now with only Morgan, Evans and Soyuncu, fans wonder now if Rodgers gonna sign a new CB for such a long season.

is a defender available in coming few days?

and how the club will invest such a high $$$ of money (80m) after selling Magurie to Manutd??

·
Registered
40,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Maguire is a strong physically, a decent defender in set pieces, good tackling and can score goals sometimes, but not dynamically superb while holding the ball.

i don't know but for me i think he is not worth such a huge amount, 80m so high tbh.

·
Registered
40,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
latest update about LCFC

-Bournemouth's Nathan Ake and Burnley's James Tarkowski have been earmarked as the leading candidates, with a reported bid of £20m for Tarkowski rejected yesterday.

-Dennis Praet (Sampdoria player) is understood to be a target for City and Sky Italia are reporting that advanced negotiations are underway over the €20 million man.

·
Registered
40,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Winger Rachid Ghezzal has been also linked with Sampdoria as part of a player plus cash deal for Dennis Praet

·
Registered
40,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
recent update, nothing new yet

The big story is likely to revolve around Dennis Praet with City hopeful of bringing in the Belgian international from Sampdoria to strengthen their options in attacking midfield.

City are also on the hunt for a centre-back as they look to replace Harry Maguire, who this week completed an £80 million transfer to Manchester United

·
Registered
40,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Juventus centre-half Merih Demiral is a reported loan target for Leicester City as they look to strengthen their back-line before the transfer window shuts.

daily mail

·
Registered
40,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
officially

Leicester bought Sampdoria's attacking midfielder Dennis Praet for a reported £18m.

·
Registered
40,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
2 hours left for the 1st official match this season

Leicester City vs Wolverhampton
16:00 pm

·
Registered
40,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
LCFC vs Wolves
FT 0-0

Leicester City
(4-1-4-1)

Schmeichel
Evans
Ricardo Pereira
Ç. Söyüncü
Chilwell
Tielemans
Ndidi
Maddison
Choudhury
Vardy
Ayoze Pérez

Coach: B. Rodgers

Wolverhampton Wanderers
(3-5-2)

Rui Patrício
Bennett
Boly
Doherty
Coady
Jonny Castro
João Moutinho
Dendoncker
Rúben Neves
Jiménez
Diogo Jota

Coach: Nuno Espírito Santo

·
Registered
793 Posts
I’ve got high expectations guys ..

Thinking top 4 !!

You had Maddison supplying Vardy and added Newcastle’s Perez plus Preit and Teilemans !!

Apologies for the spellings of those last two lol )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
40,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
generally the match wasn't of the high level especially in the 1st half. ball was most in the midfield, i watched nothing superb or special although of the high ball possession by the foxes, that's to say useless match control.

the 2nd half was much better, at least i watched more open and faster game. some chances were available for both side since the 1st minute when Schmeichel saved a counter attack. also there was a goal for them but good that was not counted due to hand touch by Dendoncker if i'm not mistaken.

i think Vardy missed the creativity behimd him. Maddison, Perez and Tielemans were not at their best.. they were average tbh while Vardy try alone upfront, fighting against defenders and keep pressing in every possible ball reach to him.

Evans was so close from the scoring the winning goal in min 89' inside the penalty area!

·
Registered
40,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I’ve got high expectations guys ..

Thinking top 4 !!

You had Maddison supplying Vardy and added Newcastle’s Perez plus Preit and Teilemans !!

Apologies for the spellings of those last two lol )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Top 4???

i think it's tough to think seeing the foxes among the top 4 this season, at least on paper there're stronger sides than them. but who knows in football we may see LC do it

realistically, i think it's be a very good acheivement if they finish the season among top 6

Praet was in the bench and didn't play this game

·
Registered
40,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Leicester City will come up against Newcastle United at St. James' Park in the second round of the Carabao Cup later this month.

- An away clash with Newcastle United awaits Leicester City in the Carabao Cup Second Round

- The tie will take place the week commencing Monday 26 August

·
Registered
40,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Everton U23s vs LCFC U23s
FT 0-0

Match report by the LCFC.COM

Leicester City's Development Squad battled with 10 men for much of the second half as they opened their Premier League 2 Division 1 campaign with a 0-0 draw at champions Everton on Monday.

City’s line-up in Southport included two new faces as Irish forward Ali Reghba and defender Mitchell Clark made their full debuts for the Club’s Under-23s outfit.

There were also returns for Darnell Johnson and George Thomas, who enjoyed loan spells with Hibernian and Scunthorpe United respectively last season.

Wales international Thomas, 22, skippered the Foxes for their league opener after making 38 appearances for the Iron in Sky Bet League 1 throughout the 2018/19 campaign.

Johnson, meanwhile, carved out Leicester’s first opportunity of the clash, firing wide from distance, as the visitors made an assured start.

City imposed themselves on the game early on with Reghba and Admiral Muskwe, a full Zimbabwe international, going into full-blooded challenges in the early stages.

Just after the half-hour mark, Reghba thought he was through after a sublime pass from Thomas on the right wing, but the linesman’s flag was raised to curtail their hopes of opening the scoring.

In the latter moments of the first half, the Foxes asked for a penalty when Nathan Markelo felled Muskwe in the 18-yard box, but the official was unmoved by their protests.

Elsewhere, with seconds of four minutes added time to go, Everton's Dennis Adeniran broke and fired a powerful drive at goal, only to be denied by a brilliant stop from Viktor Johansson.

Leicester were comfortable for the first 10 minutes of the second period, too, but their chances of victory were about to be cut considerably as Johnson was shown a red card.

As Fraser Hornby appeared to have plotted a path through in on goal, the Scot found Johnson in his way and the tangle which ensued led to City being reduced to 10 men.

As a result, Sam Hughes was instantly introduced to the action in response to the set-back, replacing Callum Wright and filling the hole in Leicester’s defence for the final 30 minutes.

Naturally, the Toffees applied greater pressure with a numerical advantage and Johansson was required to make a fine save from close range to deny Kyle John on 64 minutes.

He had to be there again with 10 minutes to go as well when Hornby unleashed a fearsome effort at goal, but the Sweden Under-21s goalkeeper got a firm hand to it.

City hearts were in mouths at the very end when Ryan Astley's cross landed at the feet of Anthony Evans. However, Evans missed the ball and Leicester survived with a point.

Major moment…
While the match may have already been waiting for a moment to spark life into it, the dismissal of Darnell Johnson 10 minutes after the break did not help matters.

Even before that moment, the clash regularly got stuck in a rigid midfield quagmire and, with City digging in to seal a point, they were pleased to stifle their hosts further.

Johansson Saves Well Late On

Former Fox and LCFC TV pundit, Sean St Ledger said: "I thought Johansson was absolutely fantastic today. He’s made some really important saves at crucial times.

"His handling from crosses has been superb, as has his kicking. He’s picked up from where he left off last season and I think he’s instilled confidence into Leicester’s back four."

City:
Johansson; Clark, Johnson, Pașcanu, Ughelumba; Leshabela (Shade 66’), Thomas (c), Dewsbury-Hall, Wright (Hughes 56’); Reghba (Daley-Campbell 89'), Muskwe

Subs not used: Davies, Tavares

Red card: Johnson 54’

NEXT MATCH

Blackburn Rovers are the visitors to King Power Stadium next up in Premier League 2 Division 1 next Monday (7pm BST kick-off) – a clash which is available live and free on LCFC TV.

21 - 40 of 75 Posts