Xtratime Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FRANKFURT (Reuters) - Coach Juergen Klinsmann has named Jens Lehmann as Germany's first choice goalkeeper for the 2006 World Cup ahead of former captain Oliver Kahn.

Kahn, who was extremely disappointed by the decision, says he will now chew over whether to retire.

Klinsmann decided to pick Arsenal's Lehmann ahead of Bayern Munich's more experienced Kahn after a meeting with his coaching team on Friday.

"It was the hardest decision of my time as coach," Klinsmann said in a statement released by the German Football Association.

Both Germany's senior goalkeepers are 36. Kahn has played 84 times for the World Cup hosts while Lehmann has won 29 caps.

Kahn captained Germany to the final of the last World Cup in South Korea and Japan, and was named player of the 2002 tournament.

"I'm very surprised and extremely disappointed," Kahn said in a statement on the website of champions Bayern.

"In the coming weeks I'll concentrate on my work with Bayern in the Bundesliga and German Cup.

"As to my future in the national team, I'll think it over in the coming weeks and comment in due course."

Klinsmann's decision follows days of heightened speculation, fuelled by a couple of bad mistakes by Kahn and Lehmann's faultless performances for Arsenal in the Champions League.

In four games against Real Madrid and Juventus, Arsenal did not concede a goal on the way to the semi-finals.

COSTLY MISTAKE

A mistake by Kahn in Germany's 4-1 win over the United States in a friendly last month may have sealed his fate.

"After the game against the U.S. we made an intense analysis of developments over the previous 22 months and then made a decision," Klinsmann said in the statement.

"Of course Oliver was disappointed but he took the decision like a true sportsman."

One of Klinsmann's first acts as coach after taking over in 2004 was to strip Kahn of the captaincy and inform the Bayern keeper he faced a battle with Lehmann for the first choice position.

The coach has since alternated the two players, saying he would make a final decision at the start of May.

His earlier than expected decision may have been due to pressure from Bayern.

The club's sporting director Uli Hoeness this week accused Klinsmann of waging a campaign of "psychological terror" on Kahn by not announcing his decision sooner.

The uncertainty was to blame for Kahn's two errors in a 2-2 draw with Cologne in the Bundesliga last weekend, the club said.

Germany get the World Cup underway with a Group A game against Costa Rica on June 9 at Bayern Munich's stadium.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
www.reuters.co.uk/football

What a boost this will be for Lehmann! Richly deserved!!

Congratulations Mad Jens!! :star:

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
Deserved IMO. Kahn has been awful for months now, whereas Lehmann has been the best keeper in the Premier League this season for my money.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Arsenal goalkeeper Jens Lehmann has agreed a one year extension with the club.

The German number one has not yet signed the deal but Arsenal manager Arsène Wenger considers the deal done and trusts his goalkeeper to keep his word.

Wenger said: "It is not signed yet, but it is agreed.

"I consider that to be done."

---------------------------------------------------------------------
www.arsenal-mania.com

Will hopefully reproduce this season's form and stay the number 1 choice going into the new stadium. Has been immense in recent months! :strong:

Another article in response to Twayka potential doubt...

Jens Lehmann has pledged to work harder than ever to vindicate Juergen Klinsmann's decision to make him Germany's number one for the World Cup.

The Arsenal goalkeeper was picked ahead of former captain Oliver Kahn on Friday after a series of faultless performances took his club into the semi-finals of the Champions League.

"I'm delighted the decision went in my favour," Lehmann said on the German Football Association website.

"I'm going to throw myself into it even more than I have done up to now, so as to live up to the requirements of the World Cup. I'll do everything to do justice to the confidence the coaching team has placed in me."

Lehmann has played just 29 times for Germany, making him a novice compared to Kahn, who has 84 caps. Both men are 36.

While Kahn has played in the last three major tournaments for Germany, Lehmann has had to look on from the sidelines.

"I've sat on the bench at a total of four World Cups or European championships," he said. "I know what it's like not to play."

Lehmann's first taste of major tournament action should be Germany's World Cup opener against Costa Rica in Munich on June 9. The hosts then face Poland and Ecuador in the group phase.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
www.rediff.com

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
I think Jens might be Germany's hope for a final at the World Cup, with Kahn i wasnt seeing Germany passing the Round of 16.
He deserves it!

·
Registered
14,870 Posts
Probably a wise choise, but Klinsmann needs to make more changes than that for Germany to have a sporting chance of making it to the final 8 in the WC :neutral:

·
Registered
14,870 Posts
DougCoglan said:
Yeah. Maybe we could give Shilton a run out too?
Given Englands current GKs, it would not be a bad idea :tongue:

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
The Godfather said:
Thats a shame, Kahn is a legend and deserves the spot.
Matthaus, Klinsmann, Effenberg and Bierhoff should play too, they're legends and deserve to play dammit. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
14,806 Posts
barracuda said:
Given Englands current GKs, it would not be a bad idea :tongue:
It doesn't get talked about much but we're really thin on the ground there aren't we. Robinson is solid but after that where do you go? Does that geezer at Norwich still make the squad?! Much like young english managers... I hear talk of the good young english managers out there and we should appoint an english manager - err... Allardyce, McLaren, Curbishley - as an England manager? Please. Pearce in time who knows, I'd take him other the others but still a massive gamble.

·
Registered
14,870 Posts
DougCoglan said:
It doesn't get talked about much but we're really thin on the ground there aren't we.
Certainly the weakest part of your team and frankly not much you can do about at the moment. A bit strange, England used to produce some fine GKs...

·
Registered
14,806 Posts
Yep. Suppose there was Shilton's ten year or so stint. Then Seaman's ten years or so. Must be Robinson now for ten... just hope he's as reliable as the other two because outside of him there's little around. Camp at Derby meant to be good, Carson at Liverpool? Richard Wright could come good. Kirkland if he can keep his brittle bones together is quality. Very thin - not much I'm happy to rely on at all.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts