Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Legrottaglie wins dud award Monday 6 December, 2004

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nicola Legrottaglie of Juventus has netted an unwanted award after being named as the biggest flop of 2004.

The central defender has been assigned the ‘Bidone d’Oro 2004’ after listener votes compiled by Radio 2 Rai programme Catersport.

Legrottaglie, who succeeds former Milan player Rivaldo, has had a nightmare time since joining the Turin giants in the summer of 2003.

His debut campaign at the Stadio Delle Alpi was poor and he rarely features under new boss Fabio Capello.

Legrottaglie is joined by some illustrious names on this year’s podium as Inter’s Christian Vieri came second, while Alex Del Piero of Juventus was third. Inter’s Marco Materazzi finished fourth.

Meanwhile, Legrottaglie is not part of the Bianconeri squad for their Champions’ League game at Maccabi Tel Aviv on Wednesday.

Emerson, Ruben Olivera, Lilian Thuram and the suspended Mauro Camoranesi have also been omitted. The Italian outfit have already won their group after five 1-0 wins.

Squad: Buffon, Ferrara, Tacchinardi, Montero, Tudor, Pessotto, Ibrahimovic, Del Piero, Nedved, Chimenti, Birindelli, Appiah, Zambrotta, Blasi, Bonnefoi, Kapo, Zalayeta, Zebina, Cannavaro.

channel4

·
Registered
17,536 Posts
Well i have to say it is an award he deserves after last season's shambles, but he should also receive another chance to prove what he's worth. Unfortunately, i don't see it happening under Capello and at Juve.

·
Registered
43,403 Posts
Carson35 said:
Legrottaglie is joined by some illustrious names on this year’s podium as Inter’s Christian Vieri came second, while Alex Del Piero of Juventus was third. Inter’s Marco Materazzi finished fourth.
Music to my ears! :pp :dielaugh:

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
This is great. Keep'em comming. Last year Nedved deserved the Golden Ball more then anyone else, and Legro really deserving of this.:star::D

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
Povero Nicola :sob: He deserves so much more a nice honest lad,He needs to play regularland maybe at Roma,Lazio for example will suit him well.I'm convinced if he goes to Roma under Del neri he'll return back to the le grottaglie that we knew at Chievo.

·
Mourinho & Cassano!!
45,797 Posts
WTF Vieri

And matrix

fuk u italian media

**** u

·
Registered
17,197 Posts
i find it unfortunate but for some reason i always believe in legrottaglie. It must be because of his cool blond hair lol. goes nice with the juve jersey lmao

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
I don't think Legrots is as bad as he's depicted,It's only that making it into a big side is that difficult.he needs to play regularly,just like he did at Chievo where he proved that he can play well consistantly.His confidence needs to be restored.

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Legrottaglie ponders exit Thursday 9 December, 2004

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nicola Legrottaglie’s agent has confirmed that his client could leave Juventus after Christmas.

"He’s not finding a lot of space in the Juventus team at this moment in time," stated Alessandro Moggi.

"We may think about a change in January even if we haven’t spoken about it yet. After all, there are still 20 days until the market opens."

The defender arrived at the Stadio Delle Alpi from Chievo in the summer of 2003 but has struggled.

He was heavily criticised for his performances in his first campaign and now doesn’t feature in Fabio Capello’s plans.

Legrottaglie is no more than a squad player now after the signing of Fabio Cannavaro from Inter.

The Italian international defender has been linked with a move to Roma, to work under former Chievo boss Gigi Del Neri.

Meanwhile, Moggi has commented on rumours that he could soon become the director general of Roma.

"It would fascinate me to come up against my father (Juve director general) Luciano," he revealed.

"But I would only do that if I was asked by a big club. Roma? They are certainly that."

channel4

·
Registered
17,536 Posts
It would be a bad move if he left, especially so soon as his value has plummeted after last season and he hasn't been given any opportunities apart one coppa italia start, this season.
And with Thuram looking shaking recently, we may have to call on some back up sooner or later.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Why don't we loan him out? See how he does. :)

Should he perform well we might have a good alternative for Thuram in the future.

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
Nero said:
It would be a bad move if he left, especially so soon as his value has plummeted after last season and he hasn't been given any opportunities apart one coppa italia start, this season.
And with Thuram looking shaking recently, we may have to call on some back up sooner or later.
Yeah but in all respects to the guy he can't keep sitting in""a Panchina",He needs to pl;ay regularly he'll go to Roma back with Del Neri.

·
Registered
46,363 Posts
Legrottaglie more than deserved, I don't agree on Vieri, DP and Materazzi.
In my opinion there are many other players who deserve the podium more than them: Doni was a true Bidone for example, but he does not play for Juve-Milan-Inter that's all.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
I'd hate to see Legro leave...he has potential to improve from last season's shambolic performance. But then again, he wouldn't just want to sit on the bench.

·
Registered
11,477 Posts
Carson35 said:
Nicola Legrottaglie of Juventus has netted an unwanted award after being named as the biggest flop of 2004.

Was it me deciding on these awards or what? :D I think now it is time to dig up those old topics where I said he was overrated and wouldn't help your defense. I am feeling really smug right now.

·
Registered
22,168 Posts
The thing about Legrottaglie is that he was obviously not playing at a satisfying level last season, but then again noone in defence, perhaps aside from Ferrara, were.
What I cannot understand is why he hasn't been tried out at any other point than against Atalanta this season, and why he wasn't even selected for the Maccabi game.

Remembering that Iuliano is definately leaving, that Montero has only one year left, that Ferrara will hang up his boots after the season propably, that Tudor appparently wants to leave for England.... we have noone aside from Thuram/Canna. None, unless we consider Zebina a central defender which is a bit of a scary thought in a 4 man defence I think (he does rather well in 3 when he's covered by good defenders as we've seen from his last Roma season).

Legrottaglie does have talent, and it seems weird to me that Capello does not in the least try him out when he was keen on getting him when at Roma.
If Legro is set to leave, and it sounded like that when his agent (Alessandro Moggi) spoke earlier this week, we have to expect several incoming defenders for next season. That will be very important, and exciting. Until we know more about that- I think it's a mistake not to at least try Legro out. After a great Chievo season and a good start at Juve, it seems unfair to me not to give him a second chance. Heaven knows we've given it to other defenders.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts