Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Legrottaglie hits out at critics Saturday 3 January, 2004

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Juventus are rumoured to be bringing in a host of new defenders, but Nicola Legrottaglie insists he isn't a flop.

¡§I accept criticism,¡¨ insisted the Italian international, ¡§but I have a five year contract with Juventus and during that time I will show my true worth.¡¨

The 27-year-old chose Turin following a bitter transfer battle between Juve and Roma this summer, but a series of errors have seen him singled out for criticism.

¡§At the start of the season everyone said I was a great buy,¡¨ continued the ex-Chievo man. ¡§Five minutes later I am a disaster. I never knew a single mistake could have such weight.¡¨

¡§I feel that Coach Marcello Lippi and the club have faith in me and that is the most important thing. I will prove that I deserve to be in this squad.¡¨

The press has been particularly critical of Legrottaglie as it was after losing out on him that Roma opted for the far more successful Cristian Chivu.

¡§The Giallorossi are a great side,¡¨ added the defender, ¡§but I shall never regret joining Juventus. They may even win the Scudetto this season, but I have another five years to win in Turin.¡¨

Legrottaglie is currently sidelined with a hip problem and will be forced to sit out Tuesday¡¦s match with Perugia.

channel4

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
i wouldnt go so far as to call legro a flop, but he hasnt met expectations. maybe those expectations were unrealistic to begin with. and i may sound like a broken record but there was no reason to bring him and leave tudor in the midfield. you had a world class defender and you killed him.

·
Registered
23,142 Posts
... if all people start to judge him in badly way he will lose trust and he will play for ever bad ...
give him the opportunity to grow and become the great player he was in the Chievo years

·
Fine Gentlemen
15,599 Posts
They bought him because they thought he can perform solid and consistently(Juve formula)...at Juve a player is under-pressure everyday...there is no relaxing...the need to perform all the time is there...and I think Juve bought a dud...IMHO he sticks out like a sore thumb in the Juve defense, if Juve wants quality they can come raid the Parma defense. ;)

And haven't Juve let in more goals this season then compared to last season? Might be an indication? right?

·
Registered
9,947 Posts
Legro should work on himself more and harder. He is great for Chievo, but not for Juve. I haven't enjoyed his perfomance so far, but I really really hope he improves in the second part of the season(and the most important one).

BTW, guys, I will not be able to get online soon, cause I am facing very many exams soon. Excuses:)

·
Registered
12,570 Posts
And so my predictions come true again.
Legrottaglie was ok in Chievo because the whole team played a diff game and no great footballer spiked out for skills, they were all average players with a great sense of teamwork.
But now in Juve, you need to show your TRUE skills. People were arguing that "who cares if he never made it in Serie B", or that he was great.
I said NO, Legro sucks.
Legrottaglie is not a flop he is a TOTAL flop. Just look at the games, Roma, Inter, Lazio, All of the goals Juve got are his mistakes! I mean to get dribbled by Corradi! That is pure humiliation! Corradi someone who has only air control, no dribbling skills what so ever!
Case closed!
I WIN! Thank you.
:D

·
1st Tier Poster
48,891 Posts
There was no reason to expect him perform any better than he has performed so far.Playing good for Chievo doesn't mean that he has what it takes to meet Juve's standards.And he is not that young anymore (27?).Why Juve hurried to buy him instead of waiting for Chivu (younger and more talented ) is a mystery to me.

·
Fine Gentlemen
15,599 Posts
Maybe it's a sign that Juve are misjudging talent...;) :tongue: :D

I think Juve just didn't feel the praise put on Chivu was justified and prefered going with a safer option of Legrottaglie who has Serie A experience...But I think Chivu proves that doesn't matter.:)

·
Registered
10,868 Posts
GaGa said:
Maybe it's a sign that Juve are misjudging talent...;) :tongue: :D

I think Juve just didn't feel the praise put on Chivu was justified and prefered going with a safer option of Legrottaglie who has Serie A experience...But I think Chivu proves that doesn't matter.:)

stupid them though....Chivu was one of the best CB's in the CL...dunno why they didnt try to get him but i dont care.....they missed out on probably a kid who will be the best CB in the world in the next couple of years....as well as being one of the best right now....what can you do....just something that worked out for Roma and didnt for Juve......doesnt happen often...but im glad it did

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I have been a severe critic of the defense this season, and of Legro in particular. At the same time I would like to highlight the fact that he has been with the club for half a season, he has had some injuries and stepping into the Juve defense is by no means easy for anyone! The spotlight will be on you 24/7, there are some huge historic shoes to fill as a defender for Juve, I can only imagine the pressure. With that said, if Nicola would like to continue to play for the big boys, he will have to shake off the excuses I just stated and prove that he belongs in front of the great Buffon in this second half of this season. At the same time more defensive reinforcements will be needed for the near future and I trust Master Moggi will deliver as always.

Forza Juve!

·
Registered
12,570 Posts
How about Juve did not get Chivu because Roma had an advantage on him?
Moggi tried to be in line with Juve great record of the "bilancio". But it seems that now he was way too greedy. Legrottaglie was an obvious mistake by Moggi.
It's funny for me to see Juve fans deciding who to buy and stating the names of Chivu and Samuel, when all summer long they have bashed our Roma defensive lineup and stating that Legrottaglie was then next Moore.
Plus, forget Chivu or Samuel, they are Roma players. Period.
Maybe you can try for Mexes or Lucio.

·
Registered
17,518 Posts
Hmmmm, a lot of pseudo-experts form others teams making final judgments so soon. I mean, it's less than half way through his first season. Not that conjecturing predictions of Legro's descent from prominence requires much testicular fortitude nor marvelous intellectual capacity, it's just putting two and two together...
Legro has indeed disappointed terribly, i think he's committed more mistakes in his short duration as a Bianconero than a Juve defender normally does in a whole career. Having said that, i don't think it's due to a matter of quality but rather a lack of confidence and support from the rest of our D.

He was playing reasonably well up until the Inter game, with an imperial display against Milan as the highlight of that before having shockers against Inter and Lazio consecutively. Both games coinciding with our decline in form as a team. There's no doubt of Legro's own personal inadequacies and follies during both games, against Inter he was woeful and gifted Martins Inter's third goal with a bad backpass, and against Lazio he was directly responsible for both goals we conceded.

There's no better way than Legro to proclaim he's not a flop than on the field. We need consistency and excellence at the back desperately, and there's no doubt that we will need reinforces for that to be achieved completely. But i think Legro is capable of being a good defender for us, he just needs to deal with the pressure more effectively, get his game into gear and stop making silly mistakes.

The margin for error has already been exceeded by Legro, but if he wants any chance of staying as an integral part of Juve then he needs to demonstrate with unerring brilliance that he deserves to play for Juve. If he can, well and good if he can't then we'll simply dump him for someone better.

·
Registered
12,570 Posts
No need of "pseudo-expert" talk like you like to name me, but just reasonable expert talk.
Juve is not Chievo. Legrottaglie in half a season has proven nothing good. Not even a spark of good playing. HE is lost in the field. He was the reason for all of the goals you guys got against us Roma, Lazio and Inter. You did watch the games right?
Easy as that, Legrottaglie was a Juve mistake. Nothing wrong with admitting that. Roma bought Guigou thinking he was good but he is not very good. All the teams in the world makes mistakes, look at Real with Becks!

·
Registered
17,518 Posts
I find it odd that you ask whether i watched the games, when i cited the incidents already in my first post against Inter and Lazio respectively. Did you read my post in its entirety or did you just read the first paragraph?
Against Roma i don't think he had any outstanding blame for the goals conceded, Roma were lucky to gain a point with a deflected goal from Zebina that none of our defenders could stop including Legro.

You then proceed to claim he hasn't played well in any games; did you watch our match against Milan in the San Siro? Legro played very well and neutralized Sheva as a threat. He also did reasonably well in the games preceeding that one and afterwards until we hit our slump against Inter and Lazio.

You may have your own opinion of Legro which you're entitled to, but i see no reason for me to admit anything yet other than Legro has underperformed immensely recently. I think he is capable of playing much better, and hope he does so when Serie A and the CL resume.

·
Registered
12,570 Posts
Sir, I never meant to state that you have not watched the games.
Maybe you misunderstood it. You can have your own opinion about Legro, but you got to admit he is not what you thought he would be. And I did see him against Milan and I do not recall this great performance that you speak of. However, it’s also always a matter of opinion. Sorry but I did not read your posts, I must have missed them. Zebina does/did make mistake but it was more of a past thing.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts