Xtratime Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lee Dixon has announced that he will be retiring after todays game... :(

Well, he will be missed. He is part of the legendary defence of the George Graham era, with over 400 games for us. He signed for us from Stoke City for £320,000-ish? Steve Bould joined from the same club a few months later (or earlier, my mind is dulled by the alcohol intake of the last week....!)

He played 21 times for England, scoring once against Ireland, in 1992.

He said, 'My knee and ankle arent strong enough for top-level football anymore. I've known it for a while but I needed someone to tell me."

We'll miss you Dicko!

Favourite Dixon memories?

Well perversely I now look back fondly on that own goal agaisnt Coventry in 1992...!

But he was always so consistently excellent that no one game really stands out, and he was very unsung.

Nice one Lee, you've been top man for 14 years.

·
World Class Player
7,673 Posts
Playing 617 games for one club in the modern era is a momentous achievment. Add to that his appearances for Stoke, Burnley, Bury and Chester, he totals a staggering 796 games! :eek:

I'll miss you Dicko, as will everyone related to Arsenal.

Please join the coaching staff! Please! :angel:

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Dico you are a true Arsenal legend and an inspiration to us all!
We will miss you greatly and shall never forget what you have done for us Gunners!

·
Registered
11 Posts
A member of a dying breed of true pros. Criminally underrated, he deserved more chances at international level, and was desperately unlucky to miss out on his only chance of a major tounament (injured freakishly just before Euro 92), but I guess those four Championship medals make up for it a little.

The Arsenal team will not be the same without him. A real legend, he deserves hie place in Arsenal folklore.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Lee Dixon:

The best thing I could say about him is that no matter what, he never let Arsenal down.

Us fans will miss him, the club will miss him and im sure his fellow players will miss him to.

A true legend.

·
Registered
66 Posts
legend is a term used too feequently nowadays but lee dixon deserves that accolade.
a real grinder, who always gave everything.
thanks for the memories lee:)

·
Registered
6 Posts
lee dixon hit the long ball from right back from which alan smith
nodded on for michael thomas to score at anfield. as he hit it
brian moore says something like "surely this is the last attack"

say no more

lee dixon - legend.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts