Xtratime Community banner
1 - 20 of 149 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In one of threads we've talked about players from 90-91 Sampdoria team.Of course they are part of Sampdoria Legend...But any other?

Please write down players who are (and will be) remembered, who made great things for Sampdoria, who are club sign.I would like to know them very much.

For me such a player is of course Roberto Mancini :star: :strong:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,539 Posts
If you don't count players from 90-91 then there aren't many afterwards, as even though we've had countless great players (Veron, Seedorf, Platt, Jugovic, Ortega, Montella, Gullit, Chiesa, etc) most didn't stick around for enough to really be regarded as Samp legends, even if they were idols at the time (though I have a bit of a soft spot for Montella!). The only player in the current squad to came near to that status is probably Flachi, though a few more have a chance if they stay for a while longer and achieve something.

Before that I'm not really sure - someone slightly older than me can probably help me here!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
48,720 Posts
Good thread, Piotrek. :thmbup:

As regards me I started to follow Sampdoria in 1982-83. At the beginning of that season Paolo Mantovani made some extraordinary purchases. First of all he bought the not-yet-18 years old Mancini from Bologna for an incredible amount of money considering the age of il Mancio. Then he bought Liam Brady, who had just won 2 scudetti in his 2 seasons at Juve and had been sold by Juventus just cause there was room just for 2 foreign players and Juve was going to get Boniek and Platini. And the third great purchase of that season was the English ace Trevor Francis.
Trevor Francis was a formidable forward but he was damn fragile. I remember a map of his injuries when he was at Sampdoria, he spent more or less a half of the games out for injuries. And that was a pity cause with Trevor Francis the score of Sampdoria was fantastic. Season 1982-83: Sampdoria are just promoted to serie A and they must face Juventus, Inter and Roma in the first three games. Three incredible wins! Unfortunately Trevor Francis gets heavily injured in the game against Roma and in the following game against the historical rival Pisa at Arena Garibaldi Sampdoria loses 3-2. Trevor Francis will miss the following 16 games and the score of Sampdoria in those games will be very mediocre.
The following season will be similar for Francis, but in 1984-85 he becomes the leader of the team which gains the 4th place in serie A and wins the Italian Cup. Francis is also the top scorer in the Italian Cup. The Scottish ex-Liverpool midfielder Graeme Souness is the other foreigner in that season. He has replaced Liam Brady, who moved to Inter. Souness is famous for his fantastic long passes but also for the temper. The temper of Souness, together with the excess of forwards (four: Vialli, Mancini, Francis, Lorenzo for two places) originates the crisis of Samp in 1985-86, when the team is almost relegated. But, in spite of that mediocre season, the team of 1990-91 was forming, with the promising youngsters Mannini, Vierchowod, Pari, Vialli who had joined in the period 1983-86.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
822 Posts
Perhaps rather an Inter legend than a Samp legend, I feel I must mention Lennart "Nacka" Skoglund. He did a couple of seasons at Samp after leaving Inter and was truly a great player. He took part in the silver-medal winning team of 1958 and always played on the left wing. Unfortunately he is also a player very much connected with Hammarby ( :yuck: ) here in Sweden, and died as an alcoholic in the 70s (Hammarby, or "Bajen", is known is a bit of a bohemian, or rather hobo :D club in Sweden).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
bogliaschino said:
even if they were idols at the time (though I have a bit of a soft spot for Montella!)

What with Montella?
He played for us quite long time,he was Samp capitan and he scored some important goals...How Samp supporters finding this player?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,539 Posts
Montella was a great player, and I'm convinced that had he not been injured for most of his last season with us we wouldn't have got relegated (anyone else remember him and Ortega destroy Inter 4-0?).

However, he only stayed for us for 3 years which isn't really that much, so that's why I personally didn't count him as a Samp legend. For example, Volpi and Palombo (and Bazzani, though he was away for 6 months..) have been with Samp for 3 years now, but despite what we've achieved in that time would you count them as Samp legends?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
And what with legend coaches?
I guess that Vujadin Boskov may be called this way :D
Anyone else?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
48,720 Posts
I think that in the period I followed Boskov is the only one who deserves the title of "legend". Eriksson was a great coach but his successes came above all in other clubs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
823 Posts
Lennon said:
Perhaps rather an Inter legend than a Samp legend, I feel I must mention Lennart "Nacka" Skoglund. He did a couple of seasons at Samp after leaving Inter and was truly a great player. He took part in the silver-medal winning team of 1958 and always played on the left wing. Unfortunately he is also a player very much connected with Hammarby ( :yuck: ) here in Sweden, and died as an alcoholic in the 70s (Hammarby, or "Bajen", is known is a bit of a bohemian, or rather hobo :D club in Sweden).
nice story!
 

·
Mourinho & Cassano!!
Joined
·
45,797 Posts
What I don't understand is why the Samp Ultras turn on their legends

Yes, Mancio was not the first

Toni can gladly tell you the name of the other legernd for Sampdoria that the fans turned against

I can't remember his name but it was acknowledged by him a few months ago in a post somewhere
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
48,720 Posts
Pulsar36 said:
What I don't understand is why the Samp Ultras turn on their legends

Yes, Mancio was not the first

Toni can gladly tell you the name of the other legernd for Sampdoria that the fans turned against

I can't remember his name but it was acknowledged by him a few months ago in a post somewhere
Mancini, Pagliuca and Vierchowod.

There is a good reason or a debatable reason for all of them. What is certain is that the supporters prefer to love the legends rather than turn against them, but what is also certain is that we cannot kiss the ass of the legends forever when they show that they don't care for their old supporters any more... nor for the team in which they spent their life gaining millions.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
48,720 Posts
piotrek:) said:
What are actually feelings among Samp supporters and Mancini?
There are two different factions: those who love him and those who hate him. The second faction grew after the last season and while he received above all indifference during the last game and was contested just at the end of it, I'm quite certain that he will be sonorously booed during the next Samp-Inter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
318 Posts
I adore the legend #10 Mancini, he gave us his best. Mancio has a new job now which includes giving Inter its best, unfortunently. Beating Inter last season at home was OUR job, not his! Seing him do his best against us is not pleasant but I prefer to remember him in our colours. Being an "allenatore" at Inter is a stressful insecure job. I don´t wish him the best there, that is for sure. Playing with is heart, mind and soul for Samp last decade during our best years, he will allways be a legend in my mind......... I am sure he has a place in his heart for Samp and that a big one.

Roberto Mancini had his best years as a player playing for us and gave me too many memorable moments for me to understand our fans giving him that welcoming at Marassi.......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,111 Posts
Mancini undoutedly lies in our hearts for ever no matter where he goes and and what he does.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
100 Posts
ToniSamp said:
There is a good reason or a debatable reason for all of them. What is certain is that the supporters prefer to love the legends rather than turn against them, but what is also certain is that we cannot kiss the ass of the legends forever when they show that they don't care for their old supporters any more... nor for the team in which they spent their life gaining millions.
Correct me if I´m wrong but didn´t Mancini go to the press and promised the Lazio fans that he never would leave them when he already had signed a contract with Inter. I don´t know if this is true or not, but if it is it´s pretty low :thmbdown: Still I belong to the people who love him for what he did in Samp, he is, no doubt about it, in my eyes a true legend.

Here´s one, probably not a legend (and if he is it´s probably in Milan) but as I recalled it, a great teamplayer. Alberigo Evani. Don´t remember to much about him, only that he played out on the left and always did a deacent job for Samp, and I also vagly remeber him scoring a goal for italy in an international tornament. Anyone care to refreash my memory....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
48,720 Posts
ForeverSamp said:
Correct me if I´m wrong but didn´t Mancini go to the press and promised the Lazio fans that he never would leave them when he already had signed a contract with Inter. I don´t know if this is true or not, but if it is it´s pretty low :thmbdown: Still I belong to the people who love him for what he did in Samp, he is, no doubt about it, in my eyes a true legend.

Here´s one, probably not a legend (and if he is it´s probably in Milan) but as I recalled it, a great teamplayer. Alberigo Evani. Don´t remember to much about him, only that he played out on the left and always did a deacent job for Samp, and I also vagly remeber him scoring a goal for italy in an international tornament. Anyone care to refreash my memory....
Yes, Alberigo Evani was a very underrate player, at least at Sampdoria.
A modern winger on the left flank,the kind of player every coach loves, when he joined us in 1993 coming from the SuperMilan many people thought that he was already on the way down. Instead he was very useful for Sampdoria and even for the NT, infact he was convoked by Sacchi for the WC and played some minutes in the final of the WC 1994 against Brazil, when he replaced Dino Baggio in the extratime and scored an unfortunately useless PK in the PKs tiebreaker.
Probably the fact that he has been a legend for Milan (he also scored the winning goal against Higuita's Medellin in an Intercontinental Cup) prevented him from becoming a favourite of the supporters of Sampdoria, infact he is hardly mentioned.

 
1 - 20 of 149 Posts
Top