Xtratime Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Laziale, Independent
6,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This season I have been able to watch the majority of matches Lazio played. Some of the players were more consistent, some less. Some departments of the team were more consistent, some less.

However, I noted so far that besides the need for some extra tactical/players changes in the midfield, it is the left defensive wing that suffers far too much.

Radu and Kolarov are far to inconsistent. Radu has been brought to play in the middle, but Rossi plays him on the left. Sometimes he plays decent matches, sometimes poor.

However, Kolarov (in my view) is really the weakest link when he plays (especially against stronger teams). He may be more suited to play the left winger in a midfield with 5 players, rather than in a defense with 4 defenders.
He goes up front far too much forgetting that his duties are mainly defensive. Not only against Inter most of dangerous attacks came from Maicon.

From the beginning, I though that it was a mistake to ged rig of Zauri. He was quite experienced and reliable at the back.

What do you think ?

·
Registered
13,059 Posts
Judging by what I have seen of Zauri in Fiorentina, he wouldn't have done much better and was reportedly creating discord in the dressing room, so...

The problem with Kolarov is that he lacks experience and I am sorry to say, he lacks a footballing brain. When he sticks to his position, he can be surprisingly good defender (like in the derby we won last season) but he needs someone to cover for his attacking runs. Radu is usually decent but he also has major troubles with the offside trap. And I always harp about he should be used as a CB. If I were to choose I would use Kolarov in midfield or as a LB agaisnt weaker teams, and De Silvestri and Lichtsteiner as fullbacks. Now De Silvestri has a lot to learn about the art of defending but he is usually much, much better than Kolarov in combining with his teammates. Kolarov's obsession with long shots in quite infuriating.

·
Laziale, Independent
6,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kolarov having a no football (tactical) brain stroke me too, but I though that would be too much to say.
Sometimes I notice he strikes even when a better action can be made of the possession.
Then, he has lost his position and the opposition team attacks our left side knowing that our left back is out of position.

As far as Radu is concerned, he is not quick enough, but he is far more intelligent and game reader than Kolarov.

By the way: how about trying one game De Silvestri on the left and Licht on the right ?

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
And I always harp about he should be used as a CB.
Exactly. Me too, I wonder why Radu is used on the wing instead of being fielded as central defender. Usually in these cases, the obvious answer is that Rossi sees Radu playing evry day, while us, the far away fans, are able to watch him playing evry week (in the best case), so in the end, we have to rely on the coach's decisions. But for what I saw in the cases I watched Lazio playing, Radu this season is not playing well in the left back role. Why not trying him in the middle, Mr Rossi?

Kolarov has still to complete his learning about how to control himself when sometimes he is tempted to run into the wild open space thus leaving the door open for counterattacks. Maicon is hard stuff for evryone, and generally Inter's attacks come from their right wing rather than their left one. But Kolarov is a very promising player, in a future prospective much better than Zauri.

·
Flop
5,498 Posts
If Radu can't figure out the offside trap I think it's wise to not play him in the middle.

I too like the idea of trying De Silvestri on the left with Lichty on the right. If the choice is between radu and Kolarov, I prefer radu against strong teams aand Kolarov against teams like Catania, who come with no intentions to play football. There's no doubt Kolarov has the bigger potential of the two so he need the occational to get better.

·
Registered
13,059 Posts
I didn't say Radu can't figure out the offside trap, it's just that he seems to have troubles with it when he plays as a LB while he was clearly our best CB last season, even though he didn't play in many games in that position and the competition was not exactly stellar, to put it mildly. Of course, us playing different back four too often doesn't help the offside trap.

·
Laziale, Independent
6,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think the issue of left flank should be addressed sooner rather than later.

Proper analysis should be made and appropriate conclusions should be brought.

Rossi should make up his mind and play one regularly,just like it is the case with right back, with Licht given priority over DS.

·
Premium Member
14,067 Posts
It's a bit tricky...I see Kolarov as the long-term solution, though, so makes sense to field him more. Radu could indeed be better as CB, but I haven't seen him enough there...a few games last season when we had nothing to play for is not grounds for making judgments.

In any case, I don't think Zauri would have been the answer. Kolarov and Radu are both quality talents and need playing time. Zauri's presence would have been just negative.

·
Registered
23,432 Posts
I can only tell you guys that Radu played as CB at Dinamo Buc and he was pretty good there... I knew that he could play as LB too but he rarely played there in Romania

·
Laziale, Independent
6,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
...so, did we yet reach a conclusion regarding the left back situation here ?

Was offloading Zauri and not playing Radu as central defender Delio Rossi`s mistakes ?

·
Laziale, Independent
6,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Folks, after 2 consecutive decent appearances from Radu as CB, do you think he should be given more chances at the same position ?

I think he is currently in a better form than Siviglia and Diakite and Radu and Cribari partnership seem to work slightly better.

·
Registered
13,059 Posts
Well, as you can say I have been saying all along that Radu is a much better CB than LB. We just need to make sure Kolarov doesn't get sent off twice a month any more. :)

·
Flop
5,498 Posts
Radu is definitely much more of a CB than LB. Furthermore, I also think Kolarov has taken a big step and improved his performances and looks more solid now than he has before. He just need to get rid of his knack for red cards.

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Radu’s recent good performances as central defender have also been helped by Ballardini’s more cautious tactics, compared to Rossi’s ones, I think. This season Lazio are not so keen on using the offside trap (luckily. You have to have the rigt players for that tactic and Lazio have not got them), and that helped Radu gain more self-confidence, a virtue that is so precious in that role.

And whereas Radu has been shifted to the centre, the new back up for Kolarov on the left is no else than Del Nero. Ballardini tried him in that role during the friendly match in Zaragoza, and the experiment was pretty successful, since Del Nero was fielded as left back in Florence too.

·
Premium Member
14,067 Posts
It makes sense to play Radu at CB...not because his performances have been that spectacular, but because he has time after time proved very ordinary at LB. Give him a bit of time and a tall more physical defender beside him, and he could do well. Diakite-Radu might not be a bad pairing to use, even though the lack of experience is of course glaring...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts