Discussion Starter #1
Leeds v Tottenham

Elland Road
Saturday, 10 January
Kick-off: 1500 GMT
Referee:

Mark Halsey (Lancashire)

--------------------------------------------------------

David Batty could be out for up to a month with ankle ligament damage, to add to Leeds' woes.

Alan Smith serves the second game of his two-match ban but Eirik Bakke returns after being rested against Newcastle and Michael Bridges may play.

Mauricio Taricco and Anthony Gardner return for Tottenham after suspension and injury respectively.

Dean Richards is still out with a calf problem and new signing Michael Brown serves the last game of a suspension.

-------------------------------------------------------

Leeds (from): Robinson, Kelly, Harte, Matteo, Morris, Camara, Barmby, Bridges, Viduka, Pennant, Johnson, Duberry, Bakke, Olembe, McPhail, Lennon, Milner, Sakho, Kilgallon, Richardson, Carson.

Spurs (from): Keller, Carr, Taricco, Gardner, King, Ricketts, Poyet, Anderton, Keane, Postiga, Kanoute, Dalmat, Jackson, Davies, Bunjevcevic, Doherty, Zamora, Mabizela, Marney, Kelly, Burch.

bbc
------------------------------------------------------------

We face a club whose season has been almost as horrible as ours.They're only 4 points ahead of us on 16th place.Should be a good chance for Leeds to pick up some points.Too bad we're missing Smith.Still I would predict a home win for us.

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Ok, Spurs have had a really bad season aswell. We have to win this game or this shows we are relegated! That's my opinion anyway. I just wish Keane was on our side still...

·
1st Tier Poster
48,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Leeds 0-1 Tottenham

Robbie Keane plunged his former club deeper into relegation trouble as Tottenham won at Leeds.
Keane's 56th minute goal left the club he left for £7m in 2002 second from bottom and five points adrift of their nearest rivals Portsmouth.

It was only Spurs' sixth strike away from home this season and helped end a run of four straight away defeats.

Leeds, who lost Mark Viduka to injury at half-time, created few chances in a poor game.

The first half was especially poor in quality with few opportunities created from open play.

Keane had the game's first chance in the second minute but drove his shot straight at goalkeeper Paul Robinson.

From then on the main attempts on goal were from a succession of free-kicks - Jermaine Pennant going close for Leeds before an Ian Harte set-piece was almost converted by Dominic Matteo.

Another Harte free-kick - after Pennant was brought down by Taricco in a challenge which earned the Argentine a yellow card - sailed over.

And Nicky Barmby - recalled after a 10-month absence to face his former club - was inches away from scoring only for Ledley King to clear.

At the other end Robinson had to dive at the feet of Keane in the 27th minute and later the Leeds goalkeeper was fortunate to recover after spilling a Darren Anderton shot.

Spurs started the second half brightly, however, and after Keane saw a shot beaten out by Robinson, the breakthrough goal arrived in the 56th minute.

A long ball pumped forward by Tottenham exposed Leeds' out-of-shape defence as Keane raced on to it, held off Michael Duberry and fired a shot past Robinson.

That buoyed Spurs - Keane came close again soon after - while Leeds were struggling to create with solo striker Viduka having made way for Michael Bridges.
-------------------------------------------------------------

Leeds: Robinson, Kelly, Duberry, Kilgallon, Harte, Pennant, Bakke, Matteo, Olembe, Barmby, Viduka.
Subs: Carson, Bridges, Sakho, Richardson, Milner.

Tottenham: Keller, Carr, Doherty, Gardner, Taricco, Dalmat, Anderton, King, Davies, Kanoute, Keane.
Subs: Hirschfeld, Postiga, Poyet, Jackson, Kelly.
---------------------------------------------------------

Sound like a really poor performance from Leeds.Of course our lineup is less than average too, especially without Smith.Seems that we're heading towards First Division :rolleyes:

·
1st Tier Poster
48,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Gray sympathy for furious fans

Leeds boss Eddie Gray admitted the Elland Road crowd were right to boo his side after their lacklustre 1-0 defeat at the hands of Tottenham.
Leeds are now five points adrift of Premiership safety and Gray knows they will have to improve quickly.

"That's the first time the crowd have had a go and they were within their rights to do so," said Gray.

"The players must take responsibility - if they don't then the crowd will justifiably have a go at them."

Former Leeds striker Robbie Keane bagged the all-important goal just after half-time, holding off Michael Duberry and firing past Paul Robinson.

It was the first show of dissent from the supporters who have previously given vociferous backing to Leeds, despite the club's perilous position.

"That's the most disappointed I have been with a performance since I came back," added Gray.

"If we are going to get out of trouble you have to got to have the courage to play and that didn't happen.

"I have said the players have been working hard enough, but the confidence to go out and play has been lacking.

"The problem now is a gap has developed and that's very disappointing and when you look at the table you cannot be confident.

"But I still have the belief that we have players who are capable here and that we will get out of it."

bbc

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
And Keane does it again, just like last time. And my argument for not selling him comes back again and I win the argument again... ;) :rolleyes: Just as we thought we were back into some sort of winning streak, or at least not losing streak, we go down in two games. Relegation seems inevitable...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts