Xtratime Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We welcome David O'Leary back to Elland Road for this match and personally I hope he recieves a very warm welcome from the fans there. He was a great coach that Leeds never should have let go (another one of our many mistakes) and he did great things for our club. This game will be a good one, especially because of O'Leary. In our past for we have seen some better performances with our last drawing with Manchester City. I think we will win this one, a close 2-1 score line because I have seen that Villa are one form aswell. I hope Viduka can keep up his scoring aswell. Is this the start of his scoring haul like last season?

----------------------------------------------

Eddie: No Hard Feelings

Eddie Gray says there are no hard feeling when he welcomes David O'Leary back to Elland Road for the first time on Boxing Day.

Ex-boss O'Leary lived former chairman Peter Ridsdale's dream, and now Gray is one of the men attempting to get United out of the nightmare he left behind.

Despite having been moved aside as head coach by the Irishman to make way for Brian Kidd to take over the coaching duties, Eddie is keen to play down talk the match being billed as Gray v O'Leary.

"It's not like that for me," said Eddie.

"This is Leeds United against Aston Villa, which is always a good fixture regardless of David or me.

"It doesn't matter whether it's Aston Villa or Manchester United. When teams come to Elland Road we've got to make it tough for them and that's we're trying to do.

When former Blackburn boss Kidd took over as head coach, Gray admitted it was a decision that hurt him and one that was wrong for the club, who at the time were riding high in the Premiership and challenging Europe's finest.

"I was disappointed for the club because I felt, and David knows this, that we went down the wrong road, but that's opinions.

"It's not even a case of let bygones be bygones. David was manager at this football club and he made
the decisions. You don't necessarily agree with them all.

"But that doesn't worry me and I've not got a point to prove."

Gray though does have one issue to correct O'Leary on; recent comments that Gray is getting United out of trouble with 'his' old team, have been met with raised eyebrows at Elland Road. Only three players of the current regular eleven were O'Leary buys, Michael Duberry, Dominic Matteo and Mark Viduka.

"It's not his team," said Eddie. "He's manager at Aston Villa. But the team that is playing for Leeds United at the present time is my team.

"I would never really talk about the past. I'm only interested in the future."

O'Leary still holds a candle for United, saying he would love to come back to the club one day, and always appreciates the support he got, and continues to get from some supporters.

He said:"I've received lots of Christmas cards from Leeds fans saying things like: 'I wish you were still Leeds manager', which is nice but that's all gone now."

·
1st Tier Poster
49,696 Posts
And 0-0 is the final score too...

Leeds 0-0 Aston Villa

Leeds remain in the drop zone after being held at home to Aston Villa.
Both sides showed plenty of effort and desire but the game was desperately short of goalscoring opportunities.

Juan Pablo Angel had a goal ruled out for handball while Leeds had the ball in the net but defender Michael Duberry was offside.

Former Leeds boss David O'Leary got a mixed response on his return to Elland Road for the first time since being sacked by the club 18 months ago.

As expected O'Leary was booed by some Leeds fans, but he also heard some cheers from fans who remembered the good times of his rollercoaster reign.

Once the game got under way there was not too much for the fans to cheer about with hardly a clear-cut chance in sight.

Villa's in-form striker Angel had the first shot in the seventh minute with a 25-yard effort which bobbled past Paul Robinson's right-hand post.

Leeds responded with Jermaine Pennant superbly controlling a high hanging ball from Mark Viduka before drilling in a cross from the right-hand edge of the area.

Villa keeper Thomas Sorensen could only parry the cross but Dion Dublin came to his keeper's rescue by clearing.

KEY MOMENTS
35 mins: Angel's effort is ruled out for use of the hand
54 mins: Duberry has the ball in the net for Leeds but it is ruled out for offside
The visitors were happy to counter-attack and a low cross from Jlloyd Samuel was flicked goalwards by Stefan Moore, but Robinson collected easily.

James Milner latched onto a Robinson clearance, but the 17-year-old completely mis-hit his shot and Sorensen comfortably saved.

Villa looked to have taken a 35th-minute lead when Angel bundled over the line from a Lee Hendrie left-wing free-kick.

But the Colombian clearly used his right hand and the infringement was spotted by one of the assistant referees.

Leeds looked more lively in attack in the opening exchanges of the second half and had the ball in the net themselves.

A free kick from Milner was sidefooted home by Duberry but he was adjudged offside.

Villa's Peter Whittingham had a volley deflected over the bar by Duberry but it was Leeds who looked the more likely to break the deadlock.

Alan Smith had a shot blocked by Dublin and then skipper Dominic Matteo fired a 25-yard shot over the bar as the home side desperately looked for an opening.

Teenage defender Matthew Kilgallon was making his first Premiership start and he was lucky to get away with a shove on the back of Moore inside the penalty area.

Villa threw on Thomas Hitzlsperger and Darius Vassell in an effort to force their way back into the game.

There was a late flurry of chances with Gareth Barry, Vassell and Angel firing off target and Smith's 30-yard effort saved by Sorensen.

But neither side really did enough to deserve the three points.

And as the campaign approaches the halfway point the only thing Leeds and Villa are likely to be playing for come the end of the season is their Premiership safety.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Leeds: Robinson, Kelly, Duberry, Kilgallon, Harte, Pennant, Smith, Batty, Matteo, Milner, Viduka. Subs: Carson, Sakho, McPhail, Bakke, Lennon.

Aston Villa: Sorensen, Delaney, Mellberg, Dublin, Samuel, Hendrie, Barry, McCann, Whittingham, Angel, Moore. Subs: Postma, Vassell, Hitzlsperger, De la Cruz, Johnsen.

bbc

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Hiya, didn't know where to put this at a quick glance of your forums and I didn't think it deserved a new thread..

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Sky Sports-

David O'Leary has supported calls for an inquiry into what happened to the money at Leeds United, following his rousing reception from the Elland Road crowd on his return.
O'Leary was delighted to be welcomed back by the fans, admitting he felt the support of the club was the thing that would always make Leeds a big club.

The Irishman was sacked by the club after one of its most promising periods, but cannot believe the financial collapse that took Leeds to the brink of bankruptcy.

"I would support an inquiry into what happened at this club," said O'Leary.

"At that time we had the Champions League semi-final, a sell-out of course, and a big sponsorship deal with Nike and I was never aware of any financial problems.

"I let the financial people handle things because that was their strength, I thought.

"I believed that a couple of people were overseeing things and that doesn't appear to have been the case.

"I have an inkling about what went on but I'm not prepared to say at this stage.

"I will say I would support an inquiry because I would love to know just where the money went."

O'Leary, now at Aston Villa, was proud to be cheered by the home crowd, but not surprised by his welcome.

"The fans make this club,” said O'Leary. “I was never worried about coming back here because I liked being manager here and I think I did a good job.

"I want them to stay up and if they keep this form up there is no chance of them going down."

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Poor game today chaps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts