Xtratime Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kevin it seems you were right that teams are interested in our little Lee....but it's Leeds not Coventry according to Skysports!

CRUNCH TALKS LOOM FOR HENDRIE

Lee Hendrie could be on his way to Leeds - depending on the outcome of talks with Aston Villa boss John Gregory next week.
The midfielder, who returned home on Friday with the England Under-21 squad after their elimination from the European Championships, admits that he is uncertain about his future at Villa Park.

"I've heard a few things about it (joining Leeds)," he said.

"I don't know for sure what's happening because I've been away from home and I'm not too sure how far it has gone. I will have to see what the manager says first. I am happy at Villa and have not stated I want to leave, but there have been rumours I am leaving.

"I saw in the papers I am on a list to go, so I will sort that out when I get back. All I want to do is play at the highest level and get a regular place in the first team."

David O'Leary has already acquired the services of Olivier Dacourt from Lens for a club record £7.2m this summer, but is conscious that David Batty could be out for some months yet with his persistent Achilles problem.

The 23-year-old Hendrie, who ended his Under-21 career with a substitute appearance in the 2-0 defeat to hosts Slovakia, would cost around £5m.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
sorry to be right ;)

But if he has transfer listed then the best thing he could do is actually leave. Gregory will have other plans and if he doesn't fit in them, he can better go to a team where they need him and he can play..

Leeds would actually be a better choice i think because in Coventry he won't play either. We are already after THREE (??) Honduran players and one from Peru. And for the midfield we probably get Don Hutchison or Dane Claus Jensen as replacement for McAllister so no place for him there..

BTW, i don't get it why you can't use such a talent in your team. Most teams are looking for such players and now you have one, they are being sold to another team.. Strange move if you ask me !

·
Xtratime Allstar
9,820 Posts
leeds are always after youngsters,ok if they sign someone from boton or something but youngsters from villa are untouchables
so don't worry.....

·
Registered
17,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I;m not sure if this is newspaper rumours or not because Lee is a valued memeber of our team...he was given his big break by JG and has only not played too much this season because of Injury...it would be a mistake to sell him! :(

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Well, most times there is something true about rumours ..

And like i read it in the article it isn't Lee who wants to leave but Gregory who wants to sell him. If that's true then it's a stupid move from him ! But when he is such a valuable member of your squad like you said Gregory won't sell him i think and is this just a rumour.

And as long nothing is sure or signed , he still plays for Villa next season :)

nasty nick : And why would youngsters from villa be untouchable ? You can buy everyone for the right price and there are many teams who sell some good youngsters.. Don't ask my why, but they do ;) !

[This message has been edited by Kevin (edited 04-06-2000).]

·
Registered
17,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wish some youngsters from Villa were untouchable, but with an unpredictable manager such as JG, you never know! Unfortunately!

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I was just surfing some Villa sites (HELP, i am turning into a Villa fan !! ;)) and found good and very bad news.

Read it your self, i'm copying the article :

Villa and Leeds could be doing transfer business this summer - but it will not be over Lee Hendrie.

Reports that Hendrie is either the target for Leeds manager David O'Leary or on a hit list' of players Villa boss John Gregory is looking to move on have been dismissed as rubbish by both parties.

But there may yet be a move from Elland Road on Ugo Ehiogu, who has re-emphasised his determination to leave Villa in the wake of the FA Cup Final disappointment.

Hendrie's future was in the spotlight following reports from the England under-21 camp that the attacking midfielder had become a Leeds' target.

Their chairman Peter Ridsdale put the idea to the sword today by declaring: "I don't know where the idea has come from. He is not a player we have discussed and he is not on a target list. The story is nonsense."

Gregory has made it a policy to keep his own counsel in the wake of unsettling post-Cup final outbursts by Ehiogu, Paul Merson and now Hendrie but a couple of months ago, when the first rumours about a Hendrie sale to Coventry took flight, declared simply: "Hendrie is not and will not be for sale."

But Ehiogu's dissent at Villa has now become so serious that they will have to consider selling him at some stage in the next year.

He is into the final two years of his contract and made it clear he will walk away for nothing in 2002 rather than sign a new deal.

Villa have always been reluctant to sell because of the hefty chunk of the fee that Albion would snaffle under the terms of Ehiogu's departure from the Hawthorns eight years ago.

But losing 30 per cent of potential £5m-plus fee is better than nothing at all and if the right deal comes in, Ehiogu is likely to have his wish granted.

Leeds would be the most likely source of interest from the range of Premiership clubs that would appeal to the defender.

They are worried about the future of young England defender Jonathan Woodgate and have Michael Duberry on the way out. Ehiogu is likely to be the subject of talks between Ridsdale and David O'Leary when the Leeds manager returns from holiday.

·
Registered
17,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well we all know that Ugo has to go...it would be impossible for him to stay and we have a replacement in the young and talented Jlloyd!
Leeds would be interested with Woodgate maybe going to prison (serves him right, racist bastardo!), Ugo would do well there!

Kevin, become Claret and Blue!!!! :) A lot better that the skyblues of Coventry!

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Yeah, i heard some news about the rascist thing concerning Woodgate. Wasn't Bowyer and another one also arrested ? But i thought it was already over and the case was closed.

If you already have a replacemnt for him it's not that bad. And Hendrie is staying so actually it was just good news all the way :)

And thanks, but i'm staying with the Skyblues . Between this and 2 years i'm going to be rewarded for that i hope :)

·
Registered
17,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I think that you should be a Villa fan, but then I am biased!!! :)

As for Bowyer and Woodgate, the case is far from closed, they were charged with GBH (Grevious Bodily Harm) against the young man, I personally think that it is a disgrace that they are still playing in Leeds' team!

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I think you're right. As long as they are on trial they shouldn't be allowed to play. I hope they get the punishment they deserve and don't get away with it too easy ! But i think that they will get a different treatment because they are soccer players and not just a man of the street, don't you ?

Well, you better give up cause i'm not turning claret and blue. Only half, the blue part ;) Sky Blue ..... :)

Oh yeah, with the uefa cup final the commentator on belgian television said that Hakan Sukur probably would go to Aston Villa and today i read again that Gregory would like to have him instead of Carbone, what's true of it ?

I don't think he would come from Galatasaray to Villa but who am i :) ?

·
Registered
17,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Like you Kevin, I did not and do not think that Sukur will come from Gala to Villa...Villa are never that lucky..unfortunately! But I would welcome him with open arms if he did move!

As for Woodgate and Bowyer, without a doubt they get special treatment because they play high profile football...I think it is disgusting! And I hope if they did do it, then they get found guilty and put away!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts