Xtratime Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
LEEDS GIVE SUNDERLAND KEANE PERMISSION
by Graham Walker

Leeds United have given Sunderland permission to speak to Robbie Keane about a proposed transfer to the Stadium of Light.
The Black Cats have been given permission to begin talks with Keane and his representatives to complete the final details of the transfer after an undisclosed fee was agreed between the two clubs.

Black Cats boss Peter Reid is an admirer of the 21-year-old who moved to United from Inter Milan for £12 million 18 months ago, but found himself unable to command a regular starting place since the arrival of Robbie Fowler at the club.

Keane's stock has been boosted by his success at the World Cup finals as he scored three goals to help the Irish qualify for the second round before losing to Spain on a penalty shoot-out. The striker has 37 caps and 13 goals at international level.

More news on this story to follow.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

I feel sick that the board even thought of selling him, after his performance at the World Cup Leeds would have to be on drugs to sell him to rivals in the league! I will personally burn my shirt if Keane is sold! I will go on a hunger strike! I swear! :mad:

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
KEANE TO REJECT BLACK CATS
by Graham Walker

ROBBIE Keane has revealed he does not want to speak to Sunderland, despite Leeds and the Black Cats agreeing a fee for the striker.
Keane, whose outstanding performances at the World Cup have brought him to the attention of clubs all over Europe, has reiterated comments made to www.lufc.com before he left for the World Cup that he is determined to make a success of his spell at Elland Road, and doesn't want to leave until he's done that.

"I do not want to speak to any other club, " said Keane.

"I am happy at Leeds and am confident that I can impress any new manager with my ability and commitment."

The news will come as a blow to the Black Cats who were preparing to speak to former Wolves and Inter Milan striker, eventually hoping to unveil him to their fans as their major summer signing.

Keane said before leaving for the World Cup: "I've had this sort of thing loads of times.

"Every club I've been at, I'll have been there about eight months and people start saying I'm going here, there and everywhere. "But I'm happy to be at Leeds. I've always said that. I love Leeds, it's a good club and I feel at home."

"It's frustrating and no one wants to be on the bench.

"I feel good and feel sharp. I haven't started a game in a while but there's not much I can do about that. I've just got to keep doing what I'm doing."

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Still, it is in the heads of the board that they can sell him. I know what they are thining, and it isn't good. Keane is Leeds best player and I will be so disqusted if the sell him! Pure hatred for the Leeds board!!!

·
Registered
9,325 Posts
If Leeds wants to do well in the Premiership next season then they shouldnt sell Robby Keane to Sunderland. Robby Keane is a very talented, classy and YOUNG striker. Selling him to Sunderland will be a big big mistake. However selling Rio to Man U is an excellent idea ;).

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Robbie Keane is leaving!!!

UPDATE: Keane Wants To Stay At Leeds Despite Agreement Over Fee With Sunderland
News Archive

Keane doesnt want to leave Leeds (Allsport)
07/02/2002. Sunderland have agreed a fee with Leeds United for striker Robbie Keane, however the Irishman says that he wants to stay at the club.

The 21-year old struggled to earn a first team place at Elland Road last season with Robbie Fowler and Mark Viduka in the pecking order ahead of him, and looked set to become the first big name player to leave the club as they look to ease their financial problems, whoever as Leeds strive to appoint a new manager to replace sacked boss David O'Leary, Keane says that he doesnt want to leave.

He said, "I do not want to speak to any other club. I am happy at Leeds and am confident that I can impress any new manager with my ability and commitment."

Keane cost Leeds ?2m a year ago when they signed him after an unhappy spell at Inter Milan.

soccerage ;)

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Tuesday, July 2, 2002
Keane: I'll fight for my Leeds future
By Andy Hooper

Robbie Keane has vowed to fight for a future at managerless Leeds United despite the club having agreed a fee for his transfer to Premiership rivals Sunderland.

Keane: Unmoved
(RossKinnaird/Allsport)
The Black Cats are hoping to open talks with the 21-year-old striker, who scored three goals in the Republic of Ireland's run to the second round of the World Cup, when they were defeated on penalties by Spain.

But a defiant Keane said today: 'I do not want to speak to any other club.

'I am happy at Leeds and am confident that I can impress any new manager with my ability and commitment.'

Keane cost Leeds ?2million when they completed his transfer from Inter Milan in May last year, but it is understood Sunderland boss Peter Reid was hoping initially to sign the former Wolves and Coventry player for a price in the region of ?m.

Leeds chairman Peter Ridsdale admitted earlier this year that the Yorkshire club, who failed to qualify for the Champions League after finishing fifth in the Premiership, needed to make a net profit of ?5m on its summer transfer dealings.

However, the urgency of their financial situation has been made clearer by the fact that they are willing to sell players without yet having found a replacement for sacked boss David O'Leary.

Keane became an instant hit at Elland Road after his arrival on loan from the Serie A giants, scoring nine goals in 12 Premiership appearances in the second half of the 2000-1 season.

But the ?2m signing of England striker Robbie Fowler from Liverpool, plus stiff competition for first-team football from fellow forwards Mark Viduka and Alan Smith, meant a frustrating season last term when Keane bagged only three league goals.

While Keane may be forced to reconsider, his rebuff is a major disappointment for Reid as he seeks a long-term replacement for another Irish World Cup star, Niall Quinn. The capture of Keane could do much to ensure the retention of former Premiership Golden Boot-winner Kevin Phillips, who has been the subject of offers from other clubs.

Keane's stunning World Cup form, the highlight of which was his last-gasp equaliser in the group match with Germany, is likely to attract interest from other clubs across Europe, although Sunderland's North East rivals Middlesbrough are a possible Premiership alternative for the striker.

soccernet ;)

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And Carson starts a thread after I already did. I would never have guessed... :rolleyes: Thanx anyway mate...:tongue:

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know, and I can't understand why the board would even think of selling Keane. That would be the dumbest thing they could do apart from selling Rio to Man U!Kean is a great forward and he proved his world class abilaties at the World Cup with Ireland, if Keane goes that will be a very sad day!:depress:

·
Registered
518 Posts
leeds_utd_lad said:
I know, and I can't understand why the board would even think of selling Keane. That would be the dumbest thing they could do apart from selling Rio to Man U!Kean is a great forward and he proved his world class abilaties at the World Cup with Ireland, if Keane goes that will be a very sad day!:depress:
Like what Crag did this years in Lazio:depress: :depress:

You know, sometimes, cash is the biggest talent :D :D

·
Registered
4,961 Posts
GOOD FOR YOU ROBBIE! YOU TELL THOSE IDIOT BOARD HOW IT IS!! Selling Mark Viduka would be alright, but we need to keep both Robbies!

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I know! :rolleyes:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts