Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think we'll win. Radebe should be back, so we'll have a proper partner for Matteo in the center, with Harte and Mills on either side. Usual mid, and I think Keane HAS to start because he was apparently outstanding during the week. I say 2-0 for us, a Keane brace!

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Keane has to start. He play brilliantly against the USA in our 2-1 win. He is a starter for certain. I hope we can win this one, take over chelsea and not just come 6th. SHould be a good match though...

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Radebe should be back? Don't you mean Ferdinand, chris?

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Match Report
UNITED distant Champions League dream came to an abrupt frustrating end as they were beaten 1-0 by Fulham at Elland Road on Saturday
David O'Leary's side who were disappointing throughout the game with strikers Robbie Keane and Robbie Fowler both missing good chances, were beaten by a second-half goal by Steed Malbranque.

With Newcastle winning at home to Charlton, Leeds are now destined for UEFA Cup football after a frustrating afternoon against the London side who are now almost guaranteed Premiership survival.

United skipper Rio Ferdinand returned after a four week absence through injury, as Leeds made two changes to the side that won at Aston Villa last weekend.

Gary Kelly dropped to the bench with striker Mark Viduka surprisingly left out so Robbie Fowler returned to partner Robbie Keane in attack.

United threatened early on through an Ian Harte free-kick which Fulham keeper Ed van der Sar did well to punch clear and a **** by Danny Mills from the edge of the area which went wide.

But Fulham too had chances as Steed Malbranque shot over the bar from 20 yards out and Ferdinand twice had to mop up at the back as Leeds got themselves into a bit of a tangle under pressure from Louis Saha and Steve Marlet.

Despite there being a lot at stake for both clubs the game had a decidedly end of season feel about it as both sides getting bogged down in midfield and passes going astray all too often.

Keane shot straight at van der Sar from the edge of the area and Fowler had the ball in the net as he tapped home from five yards, but referee Rob Styles ruled the goal out for Lee Bowyer's challenge on the Fulham keeper as both players challenged for Harte's cross from the left.

On 27 minutes Harte popped up on the right to deliver a great ball to the far post but Keane sliced his shot well wide.

At the other end Sean Davies and Saha linked well to create an opening on the edge of the area but the French striker shot straight at Martyn.

The disappointing first-half ended with a simmering feud between Alan Smith and Rufus Brevett which brought a stern lecture for both players, but the clearest chance came four minutes before the interval and fell to Keane who was sent racing clear, advanced into the area, but slid his shot wide with only van der Sar to beat.

On the stroke of half-time Smith's cross fell invitingly for Fowler but he too squandered the chance to put Leeds ahead as he headed straight at the Fulham keeper from only six yards out.

It got worse for Leeds after the break when Fulham took the lead on 53 minutes as David Batty was receiving treatment when United were defending a corner.

Some slack defending had already gifted the visitors a sight of goal but when the danger wasn't cleared Malbranque drove goalwards with his left foot from the left of the area and the ball flew low past Martyn who may have been unsighted.

Keane had a chance to grab an immediate equaliser when he latched onto Fowler chipped pass but van der Sar was quickly of his line to snuff out the opening as the Leeds striker tried to lift the ball over the Dutch international.

United went close again when Smith drove the ball across the face of goal but neither Fowler or Keane could apply the final touch. The two Leeds strikers then had a further opportunity but Keane delayed his pass and when the ball did arrive for Fowler he shot over the bar from ten yards.

The squandered chances summed up a poor afternoon for United who now must focus on plans for their next campaign leaving only the chance to snatch fifth place from Chelsea over their remaining two fixtures.

www.leedsunited.com Man of the Match - Rio Ferdinand.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

This loss don't really bother me too much, it would have been nice to take over Chelsea. But we still get UEFA Cup so all is good...

:)

·
Registered
4,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow, that's a change Pat. I was expecting that you'd go into a state of deep depression or something;)

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
So did I. :tongue: I guess the reliefe that Europe will be in our hands next season gave me a bit to fall back on.

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Yeah, it is a bit. I don't think we ever really looked like getting it. Newcastle are in great form and didn't look like slipping up.

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
I don't think Leeds are a good enough team for the Champions League, and they showed this by failing to make it for next year. This has been a bit of a disappointing season for Leeds, maybe next year.

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
I think we are good enough. It's just we had so many injuries this season. If we had our full team the whole year we would be serious title contenders up until now...

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Er, sorry King Italy but didn't we prove that we were a good enough team by reaching the SF's last season? I know that we have been diabolical this season and we would struggle to even get through the qualifying rounds with some of these performances but if we play up to our full potential, we are good enough to get thethe final at least IMO.

·
Registered
98 Posts
When we reached the Semi's in the CL - we still finished 4th in the league only reaching the UEFA cup the following season - hence, we didn't have a fantastic season then either - but we still pulled out some brilliant performances in europe.

Therefore - although we only reached the UEFA this season also, it still would not mean that we couldn't repeat our good run in europe.. it is a time in which our team seem to fire themselves up .. very exciting to watch and much more rewarding than boring boring Liverpool!!!

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Yeah, I couldn't stand to not see Leeds in Europe. A real blow. It's so much more exciting than just the usual EPL teams. We do seem to put in 110% but when we have a half depleted team it's not easy...

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Look, if we play to our full potential next year we WILL WIN AT LEAST 2 TROPHIES...but that depends if we do or not...if we don't win silverware DOL will get the sack defo...

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Maybey, but Fergie had already created an amwsome team at Arbedeen. I think DO will sack himself if we don't win any silverwear...

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Hey lads just think, O'Leary hasalready made us a big club because everybody was shocked this season when we didn't win anything...which means everybody expects us to win stuff big time...which means we are a big club...which means in a twisted way we have actually gained something from this season...other than Robbie Fowler and Seth Johnson of course :)

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
But we cannot just settle for that! We need to go the whole way!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts