Xtratime Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys!
Wanted to know how Lee Wilkie is doing.
I know that he is linked with Monaco and I wanted to know if the tallest player of the league is as impressive as is strength!!

Cya guys and be gentle with Dado!
:D

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
LOL, and hopefully Nonda too :smileani:

I found the Wilkie link a real strange one. Almost as strange as last year or the year before when he was linked with a move to Shakhtar. Leicester City are another club who tried to take him when the transfer window opened but he knocked it back. If there is any truth in the Monaco story then I'm sure not even big daft would be stupid enough to knock that back. Aside from the player Dundee themselves are in a real financial mess after administration so any kind of cash for players is a bonus (Rangers have raided them 3 times for Novo, Khizanishvili and Gavin Rae).

Wilkie is tall, strong, quick and has all the attributes needed to be a great defender. His big problem though is he thinks he is a footballer and he is not. He is also prone to making rash decisions in the box which are just as costly. If Didier Deschamps was to teach him to be a no nonesense defender then he would be a good purchase. If he persists to be too clever for his own good then he would only cost Monaco goals. Deschamps though maybe sees the raw materials he needs to make his a decent defender.

Dundee are struggling in the relegation zone at the moment but Wilkie is at least loyal to the club in the hard times it is going through at the moment. For the player and the club though the lure of Monaco would be too much I think an they would have to allow it to go ahead.

Wilkie is 6ft 4" and still only 24 years old so still has alot of football in front of him. He has played 14 times for the national side from the middle of 2002 up until the end of 2003. He didn't play too badly but on a couple of occassions almost gave away what would be termed stone wall penalites. He did score the winner in a Euro qualifier against Iceland. At home though he was still a little bit of a joke figure for his own goals against Rangers and Celtic.

Wilkie has only just returned to playing football after being out for over a year with Knee ligament damage. He was injured in a Dundee derby last year and tried to play on further aggrivating the injury. He has only played the last 3 league games so it is difficult to say how he is playing at the moment as I've only seen highlights. His knee though seems to be standing up to full 90 minutes of football.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow! What an huge sum up!!
Thank you very much Chivo!!
So if I understand he does a lot of mistakes and has a lot of things to learn...
But what do you mean in saying "He thinks he is a footballer"?

·
Registered
461 Posts
I think he means that he sometimes tries to play the ball out of trouble, when he should just clear the ball. Or when he tries to do too much, instead of playing the easy ball.

I think Chivo summed him up perfectly.

·
HEY, WHA' HAPPENED?
24,083 Posts
Monaco want Wilkie? Erm I like Wilkie as a Scotland defender but Monaco? :D Never expected this. I think he could still develop into a decent defender if someone just reminds him once every 10 minutes that he isn't Maradona & certainly can't dribble like the wee man.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
cam said:
...that he isn't Maradona & certainly can't dribble like the wee man.
Not so wee any more. I was shocked to see him on the TV the other day.

Would be great for Wilkie if there is truth in this and he does go. It's not often that Scottish players go to top European clubs and would only benefit his game.

BTW, what Laddie said is exactly what I meant- I just didn't expain it very well.

·
Registered
7,017 Posts
I think Wilkie has a lot of potential too, i always rated him as nothing more than another numpty playing for one of Scotland's provincial clubs, until the Scotland-Holland playoff match at Hampden where he was outstanding against Van Nistelrooy and kept him at bay for the entire match.

If Monaco sign him and Deschamps can help rid Wilkie of the erratic element of his game then you could be signing a good defender in the making.

On the topic of Monaco, how good is Phillipe Christanval? He's been linked with a move to Celtic during the January transfer window.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok thanks for the answers guys.
So he has a lot potential, that's cool, but Deschamps could buy him to replace Oshadogan who is a substitue at the moment a,d will leave Monaco at the end of the season, Squillaci and Givet who are the defense of french national team at the moment need a good substitute So why not?
I still keep good memories of scottish at Monaco with the outstanding John Collins.

King Henrik, Christanval is at OM at the moment, he didn't play since a long time now... and he is considered like a bad player by Marseille's supporters and the staff who try to sell him at every clubs who needs a player...

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not at all.
For the moment Domenech thinks that he have to count on people who know each other.
So actually the best solution is monaco's defense...

·
Registered
7,017 Posts
Cheva said:
King Henrik, Christanval is at OM at the moment, he didn't play since a long time now... and he is considered like a bad player by Marseille's supporters and the staff who try to sell him at every clubs who needs a player...
Cheers, sounds promising. :D

Our manager is renowned for signing players who are having a bad time in their careers and transforming them into good players though, so maybe he has that in mind with Christanval, if indeed the rumours are true.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
King_Henrik said:
Our manager is renowned for signing players who are having a bad time in their careers and transforming them into good players though, so maybe he has that in mind with Christanval, if indeed the rumours are true.
:dielaugh:

·
Registered
7,017 Posts
chivoexpiatorio said:
:dielaugh:
Stan Varga, Alan Thompson, Chris Sutton and more like them throughout his whole management career.

I wouldn't be so quick to laugh given big Eck's signing record, Nuno. ;)

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
King_Henrik said:
Stan Varga, Alan Thompson, Chris Sutton and more like them throughout his whole management career.

I wouldn't be so quick to laugh given big Eck's signing record, Nuno. ;)
I never made that claim about big Eck though. Thompson and Sutton were not bad players and hardly transformed. Even under John Barnes they would have stuck out. It was a good decision to buy them but paying around £10m for the pair the pair O'Neill new exactly what he was getting and the selling clubs knew their worth.

Varga was a transformation job, definitely. For evey Varga though there is a Juninho, Camara, Sylla, Laursen, Fernandez, Sylla, etc. whose careers seem to go off track. Petta was one of those plaqyers who was underperforming and O'Neill suddenly turned into a great player overnight. Just as quickly though he changed back to his former self.

·
Registered
7,017 Posts
I never said Sutton and Thompson were ever bad players though did i?

I said that their careers were floundering, they were the subject of almost ridicule and Martin O'Neill ressurected their careers with Celtic. As he did with countless others in his previous spell with Leicester City.

Like any other manager in the world he has made some poor buys, but where's the argument exactly? It seems like you look for one even when there is none.

He paid £8.2m for Sutton & Thompson.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Nah, I'm not looking for an arguement. It's just you make him sound like some kind of miracle worker but he's just like any other manager. He has his good and bad buys while taking players who are having good or bad spells in their career. All players have bad spells at some point. If McLeish or O'Neill had taken the likes of Owen or Giggs up here when they were going through their bad spells would that have given either a great reputation if they started to perform in the SPL?

The reason Sutton is a bad example is despite not getting a game at Chelsea he was already a proven striker in England from his time at Blackburn. O'Neill broke the Scottish transfer record at the time to bring him north. O'Neill didn't do anything spectacular to turn his career around. If that was the case you could say the same of Gazza and Laudrup.

·
Registered
7,017 Posts
chivoexpiatorio said:
O'Neill broke the Scottish transfer record at the time to bring him north.
No-one was willing to take a risk on either Sutton or Thompson, hence the reason why MON has turned their careers around to transform them into respectable players - in Thompson's case an England international, and in Sutton's case the best player we have in Scottish Football today.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
The same could be said of Gazza and Laudrup. That would not lead me to the conclusion though that he "is renowned for signing players who are having a bad time in their careers and transforming them into good players though".

1 - 19 of 19 Posts