Xtratime Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since his good performance for England; I've seen Spurs fans on various boards calling for King to be reinstated as a defender.

When he's played at the back for us, he's been less than convincing IMO, and didn't seem like an orthodox defender (schoolboy defensive errors). Now is this because he needs an old head like Southgate next to him, or was it just one of those 'one-off' good performances?

The kid obviously has potential, but is he the right man at the back?

I'm just worried that we're building him up higher than he deserves at the current time, and we're gonna end up heart broken later.

Personally I believe AG is a better defender and Ledley would be more useful in the midfield.

Your thoughts, and prefebally based on more than just the midweek game.

·
Registered
59,033 Posts
anything but Doherty and Richards at the back :sob:

True he needs a wise head and Gardener is a young bloke too but with the state of our defence, those two slow flopping lumberjacks in Doherty and Ricahrds, King needs to play in the back. Leaves a hole in midfield, maybe Mabizula could fill that in :) but our defence needs help and Pleat needs to take immediate action.

·
Registered
7,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Too harsh on Doherty, he has played well, but put him with Richards and it looks terrible. That said, I think just a back up defender at best.

I really do think we need a new defender and that Ledley is not the answer.

So who's out there that would be right?

Upson has been linked at £5m. Although I'm not sure at that price.

Woodgate would have been great IMO, but too late there.

Damn, where are all the defenders gone??:sob:

·
Registered
59,033 Posts
Yeah, back-up at most. He's done alright or well lately but if you have to be honest, you always have your heart in your mouth when he's in the starting line-up.

Available defenders, hard one true, Calum Davison looked alright btw when he came on or it possibly was cos I got used to see Taggert blundering around the pitch.

Looking around the place, Claus Lundekwam is alright imo and Hod should have got him instead of Deano. But there isn't a lot in the lower regions of the EPL, (our market) , I agree.

Not much talent in Holland either btw if you were expecting some tips from here.

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
King signs new deal

By Neil Vaughan
Date: 27/2/2004

LEDLEY KING has signed a new four-year contract with Tottenham Hotspur. The England international's contract was due to expire in...

Your Location: Home > Latest News

King signs new deal
By Neil Vaughan for THEspursweb.com

LEDLEY KING has signed a new four-year contract with Tottenham Hotspur.

The England international's contract was due to expire in 2005 and has decided to commit his long term future to Spurs.

"I am really pleased to have finally signed," King told stellargroup.co.uk. "Although I still had a bit of time left on my previous deal, everyone thought it was the right time to extend it.

"Having signed, I can now concentrate on helping the team up the league and trying to force my way into the England squad on a regular basis."

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Ledley's shining ambition

By Danny Griffiths
Date: 9/3/2004

LEDLEY KING believes Tottenham can join tonight's opponents Middlesbrough in Europe next season - and that's why he's signed a....

Your Location: Home > Latest News

Ledley's shining ambition
By Danny Griffiths for THEspursweb.com

LEDLEY KING believes Tottenham can join tonight's opponents Middlesbrough in Europe next season - and that's why he's signed a lucrative new deal at White Hart Lane.

The England defender has agreed to stay with Spurs until at least 2008 as he is convinced they are making real progress after years of mediocrity.

Boro qualified for the UEFA Cup by winning the Carling Cup last Sunday and King thinks Spurs can finish in the top six in the Premiership to return to Europe for the first time in five years.

"I had 18 months left of my existing deal, the club came to me and offered a new deal and I was happy to sign,'' he said.

"It's great to get it all done and dusted. We've a lot of good, young players at the club and I feel part of it here, so I see no reason to be looking elsewhere.

''I feel with the players we've got that the next couple of seasons could be exciting. We all want to get into Europe and I'm sure that's going to happen sooner rather than later."

1 - 6 of 6 Posts