Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
15,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I only know he plays for Tottenham. Faisal said to me that he is a great defender and I think I've seen him playing for the NT. Anyway, just how much do you rate him?

How old is he btw? Do you think he can become a leader for English NT like Maldini?

·
Registered
12,056 Posts
Valdrin said:
I only know he plays for Tottenham. Faisal said to me that he is a great defender and I think I've seen him playing for the NT. Anyway, just how much do you rate him?

How old is he btw? Do you think he can become a leader for English NT like Maldini?
Rating -

Currently: 7/10
Potential: 9/10

He need's to be more consistent, a lot more focused and find a bigger voice. Maybe weigh in with a few more goals now and then, considering he is quite skillful. Also he is a big guy but isn't as physical with his body as he should be. The Alan Shearer's of the world tend to trample over him a little.

He is something like 24/25. I don't think he can become a leader for England, as above he doesn't have the voice. He is a calming influence but kind of too calm, doesn't fire up the backline or oragnise things, tell people to get their act together. He'd work well in tandem with John Terry I think, styles would combine well IMO.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Hes a good defender but too be honest not as good as many people make him out to be , recently a lot of mistakes have crept in his game , potentially he could be become one of the best defenders for England , but he needs like Marc said become a leader

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Sorry I never saw this thread. Ledley King is a class defender, Erm Maldini comparison are abit over the top since that guy is untouchable. but let me tell you Marc I'd take him over Terry anyday of the week mate, He is way more complete. Seriously If Terry was at Spurs you'd see this

Who always comes out better for England? Nuff said

No Maldini hehe Valdrin but for sure top 3 CB's in the EPL, If he moves to Arsenal he will get a bigger name and like I said if Terry played for Tottenham he wouldn't look as good. King is quicker, stronger, more composed and less shaky, better distributor of the ball, A good header of the ball but obvious not as good as Terry in that one area. So basically its obvious that he is a more talented complete CB's not even his biggest fans can deny this. He just has more work to do at Spurs compared to Mourinho's Chelsea and he has been great for Spurs this season. He's been their best player this season and now the Spurs captain.

No defender is perfect but for me King is closer to that then Terry, Only he is more exposed whilst Terry spends 90% of his time just header the ball away. Woodgate pre injury was better than Terry too.

Rio and King are the most talented English defenders. Glen Hoddle has even said that they are the most technical gifted English players playing today. Well when It comes to defenders I can't disagree with him.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Terry is more technically gifted than King, and probably now Ferdinand. He's a much better passer any how.

·
Registered
16,663 Posts
Like Terry said Jamie Carragher has been the best defender in England this year, he's better then Ledley King IMO.

·
Registered
12,056 Posts
Faisal said:
Sorry I never saw this thread. Ledley King is a class defender, Erm Maldini comparison are abit over the top since that guy is untouchable. but let me tell you Marc I'd take him over Terry anyday of the week mate, He is way more complete. Seriously If Terry was at Spurs you'd see this

Who always comes out better for England? Nuff said

No Maldini hehe Valdrin but for sure top 3 CB's in the EPL, If he moves to Arsenal he will get a bigger name and like I said if Terry played for Tottenham he wouldn't look as good. King is quicker, stronger, more composed and less shaky, better distributor of the ball, A good header of the ball but obvious not as good as Terry in that one area. So basically its obvious that he is a more talented complete CB's not even his biggest fans can deny this. He just has more work to do at Spurs compared to Mourinho's Chelsea and he has been great for Spurs this season. He's been their best player this season and now the Spurs captain.

No defender is perfect but for me King is closer to that then Terry, Only he is more exposed whilst Terry spends 90% of his time just header the ball away. Woodgate pre injury was better than Terry too.

Rio and King are the most talented English defenders. Glen Hoddle has even said that they are the most technical gifted English players playing today. Well when It comes to defenders I can't disagree with him.
He is at Chelsea and they have the best defences around. The backline has been cut and changed, kicked around but the guy in the middle of it all is John Terry. To suggest he hasn't been a massive influence on his team is to be completely ignorent.

Erm, John Terry. He has played against the likes of Turkey away last I checked and got a cleansheet. Its not like King has played that many games. Compare their seasons and Terry has done FAAAAR more.

King stronger than Terry? Don't spew such rubbish, thats just outright silly. If you lie about his abilities and achievements then yes he is the better centerback. Oh and hey, Bramble is a better defender than the both of them [insert lies here]. Btw, you haven't watched Terry if you don't think he is good on the ball or a good passer. Its that simple. He has managed to run from defence to the box and get a shot off, ok it was off target but certainly haven't seen King do that. Terry has done that a few times for England as well, got an assist against Ukraine for his efforts too. Made cross-field passes of 70 yards and made it look easy.

Glenn Hoddle doesn't know about defending, and every other person with a brain will tell you John Terry is the best around today without question.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Terry plays in the best defence in England, Theres no doubt about that but its more a team thing for me. He is a very good defender in anycase and I like him but please please please don't compare Bramble to Ledley King. Its a disgrace to football.

·
Banned
2,017 Posts
Ledley King is crucial for England

Chris Sherrard

Tottenham’s revival this season continued to gather pace on Saturday as they took a point from fallen champions Arsenal at White Hart Lane.

And, in truth, it should have been all three points such was the home side’s dominance in the first half and right up to the point when Pires scored the equaliser.

But once again one man shone out as a beacon of brilliance in the white shirt.

Step forward Ledley King.

Not content with being an inspiration and a world class performer at the back, the England international popped up in the right place at the right time to open the scoring at the weekend.

Of course it wasn’t the first time that King had found himself on the scoresheet.

But it should have served to propel the big man into the heart and mind of England coach Sven Goran Eriksson, sat in the stands on Saturday enjoying the show.

Surely the national coach saw in that match what everyone with half an interest in this beautiful game already knows: Ledley King is among the best players of his type in the world.

You see, Ledley King, for me, should be an England regular.

If he had his choice he would play at centre-back, his preferred position. There, in an ideal world, he would partner the England captain John Terry (yes I know he hasn’t got the title) and all would be well.

The reality in Eriksson’s England is that no matter how good your form is, if you weren’t doing it two or three years ago you aren’t going to be in his serious thinking.

That is why an out of form David Beckham retains his place and why Michael Owen will always play, regardless of the displays of people like Defoe and Bent.

There can be little argument that on current form the top two English central defenders are John Terry and Ledley King. No doubt.

Rio Ferdinand is on easy street, free-wheeling his way through football. Sol Campbell is now injured as often as his old team-mate Darren Anderton. When he does play he is assured but how reliable is he?

Regardless, Eriksson appears to have restricted the fight for the central defensive places to a fight for two from three. And King isn’t one of those.

Shame. But never mind because good old Ledley can do a job elsewhere.

In fact his selection in midfield is now pivotal to England’s World Cup hopes.

See, Sven, here is your much-needed anchor. Go and enjoy. Just pick King and you’ll be sweet.

Without him in there England will be coming home from Germany faster than expected.

Gerrard and Lampard are both world class but they don’t work together. Simple as that. So give up trying.

England, in common with all the great sides, need a midfield anchor. Someone to sit in front of the defence and sweep away any potential danger with a quick swing of the boot.

It’s widely referred to as the ‘Makelele role’ but Ledley King has proven before that he can do it every bit as well.

King is football’s new Marcel Desailly. The Desailly of rampaging dominance with Milan and France in the mid to late 90s, not the shambling lazy so-and-so as much loved by Ron Atkinson at the end of his time in English football.

Desailly was crucial for the Italian giants whether he was selected in midfield or at the back.

And Ledley King the midfield holder is vital to England’s hopes in the World Cup.

His presence will allow Lampard to go and play and get the goals. It will allow Terry and Ferdinand/ Campbell behind him to see things quicker and be better protected.

Surely Eriksson can see the imperative of this selection. If he doesn’t he can kiss goodnight to his statue at the new Wembley.

Chris Sherrard
30 October 2005

·
Banned
2,017 Posts
Thought the article made good points and didn't know where else to post it in the England forum, no point creating a new thread for one article.

·
Registered
7,458 Posts
King has thrived on the industry of Dawson, so I imagine he and terry would be rock solid for England.

Even tho' I'm a Spurs supporter, I can tell you Ledley hs come a long way since last season. If you do a search on here - you will see I posted regarding LK and his lack of orthodox defensive skills. Bu this year he has moved on in leaps and bounds.

Next season will be his time IMO, with a bit of success (for club) will come more confidence. And he will prove he is the right man for the NT.

one plus for a defender that hardly gets mentioned is his discipline. How many CBs have such a clean disciplinary record? the guy hardly gets booked!

I don't think DM is right for him at NT level while he plays Defence for the club; but he should at least be in the top 3 for country.

·
Registered
12,056 Posts
I said it before and I'll say it again; King is not good enough for the DM position, his passing from there and his composure with his back to the midfield is lacking. A good attacking side will show him up and we'd be punished. I'd have him behind Carrick as backup though. But I would say at the moment with the way Rio is playing, King should line up along with Terry and have Parker at DM.

·
Registered
7,458 Posts
Sorry, my bad (and brandy :D). I meant top 3 in central defence. I'd much rather have Carrick over him at DM.

·
Banned
2,017 Posts
I honestly think Dawson has been the one triving under King, same as Naybet last season where King was phenomenal, his defensive skill is amazing, Only player in England with 100% tackling ratio. Basically he has developed into the complete defender in the past 18 months or so and forfilled his potential to become top class. Alongside Dawson who is better than Naybet they form a strong defensive partnership, Dawson has got potential but not the King or Rio type of potential. Good defender that will get better playing alongside King.

Marc you can say Carrick in terms of attacking qualities is suited but how can a good attacking side show up King defensively rather than Carrick and Parker who are weaker defensively tactically and physically, plus King as we said before has more ability than Makelele, on both feet.

Anyway you know my opinion here, King should start for England, either at the back or as a DM, if he is at the back with Rio or Terry then I think for sure Carrick or Parker should get that DM role but they must stay disciplined and not go forward much otherwise it takes the whole point of it away and Gerrard might aswell play.

If its a three man midfield like Chelsea's, with Lampard and Gerrard for Essien, then King would be more suited to the Makelele, 3rd roaming defender type role as he can do that brilliantly.

I think on form, Rio and King are the best partnership, Rio is getting killed in the media and Terry is untouchable whilst he is at Chelsea so I have to be realistic and say King-Terry or King as DM with Rio-Terry, he isn't god but a sure starter for England in one of the two positions, no doubt.

I think Sol has had his time and Sven must let the others have a chance now, he is still a good defender no doubt but more of a liability these days.

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
Dawson impressed me more on Saturday, he may be not as elegant but he's more of a defender.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts