Xtratime Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
LECCE, Italy, Jan 28 (AFP)
Italian first division side Lecce sacked their coach Alberto Cavasin on Monday, AFP has learned.
The decision to sack Cavasin came after the 3-1 home defeat by fellow strugglers Brescia which left the only southern Italian club left in the top division in deep relegation trouble.
"Cavasin has been sacked," club spokeswoman Loredana Di Cuonzo told AFP.
"The name of his successor will probably be announced tomorrow (Tuesday) as we have not yet found a replacement."
The decision to part company with Cavasin had been on the cards with the club's board locked in a crisis meeting for three hours.
President Mario Moroni was consulting with director of sport Pantaleo Corvino, managing director Claudio Fenucci and most notably Giovanni Semeraro, who wields much of the real power at the club based in Puglia on the heel of the boot-shaped Italian peninsula.
Cavasin, 46, had spent years in obscurity before taking up the Lecce post in the summer of 1999 but - with little cash to spend - he has been engaged in a constant battle to keep the club in the top division in his spell in charge.
Lecce had avoided relegation by the skin of their teeth last season when they finished level on points with Verona and Reggina but avoided a play-off on goal difference.
Verona duly relegated Reggina - with Napoli and Bari also condemned that left Lecce as the only club south of Rome left in the division.
Lecce will hold a press conference Tuesday and hope they will be able to announce the name of the new man in charge, Di Cuonzo added.

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Too bad, he did exxcelnt work in holding Lecce with a medicore squad in Serie A, but maby it was time for a new coach, altough i don't think it will differe much, i think they will relegate anyway.:(

Like i said too bad since Lecce was a team i really liked and was difficult to play against.:(:depress:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts