Xtratime Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
First Place winner, June 2010 Photo Contest
38,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As John Tunstall once told Billy The Kid, 'you'll need more than skill with a firearm to succeed in the new world'.

http://code.org/learn

·
HEY, WHA' HAPPENED?
24,083 Posts
Coding's so dull though.

That said, it's a good idea. Maybe if I was introduced to it at a younger age I'd not find it so mindnumbing. And it is a good skill to have.

·
*the drum drum*
42,862 Posts
C++ is much older than you.

I doubt things are as bad in Europe or USA as in Australia, but software development is minimal here.

For anyone in IT it's always good to know at least basic level programming logic though, it really helps you to think in IT terms and apply that logic in a myriad of situations.

·
*the drum drum*
42,862 Posts
Project management, systems engineering, architecture, networking, database, help desk/support, consultancy, IT security, web development, business analysts, testing etc.

There are plenty of jobs and each I've listed above can be sub-categorised much further.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Most of those involve some form of coding though, apart from the boring labourer jobs like "help desk" which aren't exclusive to IT but to any field.

·
HEY, WHA' HAPPENED?
24,083 Posts
Zico? Gender & Queer Studies. It's the perfect gateway to IT.

·
Registered
32,273 Posts
Zico? Gender & Queer Studies. It's the perfect gateway to IT.

:D

Feminist programming, it must be out there.. Feminist quantum mechanics is already getting old. Post-colonialist cloud computing, deconstructivist big data..

·
Registered
17,126 Posts
Coding's so dull though.

That said, it's a good idea. Maybe if I was introduced to it at a younger age I'd not find it so mindnumbing. And it is a good skill to have.

Not dull at all. It's a creative endeavour. You can do fascinating things with loops.

:D

Feminist programming, it must be out there.. Feminist quantum mechanics is already getting old. Post-colonialist cloud computing, deconstructivist big data..

This post deserved acknowledgement. Thank you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
As John Tunstall once told Billy The Kid, 'you'll need more than skill with a firearm to succeed in the new world'.

http://code.org/learn
Hi Boyo, this site looks really nice, thanks for sharing. I though myself a bit of web development and coding, mostly by online videos, coding websites and a few books that I got from the library. I'm now transfering my website which I've created from scratch to 1and1 and I'm also setting up a small online business and webshop. Really hope that this will allow me to work freelance, but I'm taking thinks step by step.

Btw, there is also a really interesting edx online course called "Think. Create. Code." by the University of Adelaide starting today: https://www.edx.org/course/think-create-code-adelaidex-code101x

Has anyone done an edx online course before? I guess the video instructions are saved so that it's possible to start the course a few days later right?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts