Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
League too scrap draws

Football League chairmen and chief executives are set to discuss the idea at a board meeting on Thursday.

The League's chairman Lord Brian Mawhinney will unveil his proposal at the meeting which could be trialed in the Championship and Leagues One and Two as early as next season.

Teams would get a point for a draw as normal but the winner of the penalty shoot-out would get an extra point.

However, the proposal - which would initially not include Premiership clubs - has been labelled a "lottery".

Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger said: "I saw this in my first year managing in Japan - it did not have spectacular results.

"In extra-time they played a sudden death goal and if no-one scored they had penalties.

"The draw is part of the culture of the game and I would not like that to disappear."

Sky Sports football pundit Tony Gale said he was totally opposed to the idea and hinted that teams could deliberately play out for a draw rather than going for a win.

"Getting an extra point for tucking penalties away? I don't think so," said Gale. "What would be next? A crossbar challenge where players have to hit it from the halfway line?

"In fact, rather than make games more exciting, I think some teams would deliberately play out for a draw in the hope they could nick something extra from the penalty phase of the game.

"If a poor team forced a draw against a big club by defending, then they would get rewarded for it in the shootout. I could never agree with that.

"No one wants a lottery in football - leave it alone."

The shoot-out idea was put forward in a recent Football League Fans' Survey.

There are two proposals due for discussion - a traditional penalty shoot-out or an option where a player would have up to eight seconds to score after receiving the ball on the half-way line.

The shoot-out experient was initially used in the 1970s in the United States in an effort to produce positive results, but should it gain the support of league chairmen it would become the biggest rule change since the introduction of three-points for a win.

---------------------------------------------------------------

What have they been smoking? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
7,157 Posts
Eh, and I thought Blatter has stupid ideas.

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
this is the beginning of the American influence into English football...doom I say, doom... :scared:

·
Premium Member
22,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Filipe Reis said:
this is the beginning of the American influence into English football...doom I say, doom... :scared:
Well, you have to hope that somebody sees sense, and realises this is the stupidest idea ever.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
i'm shocked that stupid old tory bastard is still alive let alone being one of the top dogs in the football league :frustrat:

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
it's worse than stupid.

anyway, with our 'brilliant' record in spot kicks, i am not exactly looking forward to it.

·
Registered
23,264 Posts
Football League clubs have agreed to consider a revolutionary proposal for penalty shoot-outs to decide all drawn matches.

A meeting of the 72 league chairmen agreed to a working party being set up to consider the proposal in an effort to make the game more entertaining.

The proposal was put forward by Football League chairman Lord Brian Mawhinney and would see all drawn matches outside the Premiership go to a shoot-out, possibly as soon as next season.

But the move has come under fire from a host of managers, including Arsene Wenger, who feel draws are a part of the culture of the English game.

"I suggested that for drawn matches each team gets a point and then maybe the team that wins a penalty shoot-out gets an extra point," explained Mawhinney.

"Managers may hate shoot-outs but fans love them. The chairmen decided to use this proposal to have a broader look at a range of ideas that might refresh our product.

"Some people were strongly against it, some people were in favour of it but on both sides people said 'let's be constructive and have a broad examination of what we have on offer'."

The league's working party will consider other ideas from clubs and fans in an effort to bring more entertainment into the game.

"We cannot afford to be complacent - people are always talking to me about how we can get more goals and more excitement in football," he added.

"I understand that it is not instinctively where clubs would go but if you don't change in a changing world then you can fall behind."

Mawhinney also said he was hopeful the end of season play-offs would be staged at the new Wembley Stadium.

"It's outside of our control but I'm more hopeful than I was some weeks ago," he added.

"If the ramp-up events go well and they get the safety certificate then we should be able to have the play-offs at Wembley."
------------------------------------------------------------------

What do you think about this? Should the premiership also be this way?
Simple, people who are for this think that the league should trial this, it should be tested a bit and than be considered seriously...

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
No its a silly idea in my book.

·
Registered
33,807 Posts
I hate the idea. It's not going to make teams play harder for a win. In fact, I think more teams might be willing to settle for a draw so they can then try their luck in the shootout.

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
A team struggling will defend for the point and have pot luck at the penalty shoot out.

The theory is it will help England in penalty shoot outs, the only problem is no England players play in the Championship.

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
Sod off.

That has no merit at all- it would make a draw look more promising than risking it for a win (than it is now anyway), and that is detrimental to football.

·
Registered
9,043 Posts
It's absolutely ridiculous!! I can't see one good thing about it!? You'll just get shitty teams going to top teams, packing the defense and playing for a 0-0 and winning on a shoot-out... yeah that's entertainment.... :drunk:

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
Its a funny and good idea. They dont need to decide games on it but have a seperate league for shootout competitions between teams, with a little prize for winning teams at the end of season.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
not surprised Mahwinney is behind this and cant believe the 'idea' has got to this stage. to get on the board of the FA or Football League is it compulsory that you have had to be an abject failure in life?

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
knew he helped bungle this country's transport system even more in the 90s, wasnt too sure (but not surprised) about his other views

from his TheyWorkForYou profile

# Very strongly for the Iraq war
# Very strongly against the fox hunting ban
# Very strongly against equal gay rights

:rollani: :rollani: :rollani:

·
Registered
14,806 Posts
The problem with the view on Iraq is that Parliament were misled by the Government - the lies or exaggerations if you want to be kinder, gave the war a credible logic. Amazing the Government has got away with it but that's britain...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts