Xtratime Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are some players I feel can play at a higher level in league One.

Adebayo Akinfenwa
-Akinfenwa is a great target man. He is unbelievably strong, I would doubt many players in the world would be physically stronger. He can hold the ball up well as defenders just bounce of him and he is good enough in the air to flick balls on. He is also a decent goalscorer and worth a chance at a higher level. I think he could step into most Championship sides and even a lowly premierleague side.

Simon Cox
- Cox is a pure goalscorer. He is very quick and he can put chances away. He also has that knack of getting to rebounds first. I doubt he could score goals consitently right now at even Championship level but given time to develop he could become very good.

Jerel Ifil-Jerel Ifil would be a risk but could become a decent Championship player. I have always been impressed with him as he seems the total physical package. Very strong and very quick, he dominates strikers. He is also solid defensively but is quite tactically nieve.

Hasney Aljofree
-Hasney like Ifil, would be a risk which could pay off. He like Ifil is a total physical package, and while he doesn't dominate as much as Ifil, he is a much smarter defender.

Paul Robinson
-Paul Robinson is a classy defender. He is great in the air, great in the tackle, solid on set pieces and one of the most committed players I've seen play. Definetly could play Championship football.

Zak Whitbread
-Whitbread is a good defender. Very strong in the air and very strong in the tackle. A real tough defender who has already been interest from West Brom.

Chris Hackett
- A truley old style winger. Very fast, he loves to beat players and whip the ball in. A weak player on the ball but could do the job for most sides in the Championship.

Danny Senda-A player I seriously feel can play at Premiership level. Brilliant going forward, very athletic and a very solid defender. A player I seriously rate.

Joe Murphy- One of the best goalkeepers I've seen at this level. No real weakness to his game. He is solid on crosses, reliable, strong communicator and a good shot stopper.

Kevin Hurst
- Another real old school winger. He beats players and whips the ball in consistently well. A real exciting player capable of exciting a crowd.

Cliff Bryne - A real good defender. Great in the air, great in the tackle and brilliant in set piece situations. Would be a good signing for most Championship sides.

Glenn Murray- A pure poacher. Doesn't do much in build up but given a chance he will put it away. Really worth a risk but could definetly flop as he is a late bloomer.

Micheal Kuipers
- A real solid goalkeeper but his age would put most clubs off. Great on crosses and a great shotstopper but would be a real risk due to his age.

I will post some players I like later. Also what are some of your choices

·
0-1, Huth.
6,070 Posts
Adebayo Akinfenwa - Good player but for me will always be a lower league journeyman. Bottom half Championship or top half League One. And plus he's very injury prone.

Simon Cox - Good forward, but not sure how far he can go. Freddy Eastwood is a better player than Cox, but Eastwood has struggled with scoring with Wolves and the Slags in the Championship.

Zak Whitbread - I agree. Should definitely be playing at a higher level.

A couple I think who can player at a higher level are:

James Brown - Awesome player and versatile too. But play him in his prefered position [striker] and you'll see his true qualities. He won't be playing League One football for very long.

Craig Mackail-Smith - He's done extremely well jumping from Conference to League One and has not only adapted to it quickly, but has shown that he can cut it at a higher level in the right team. If he was put in a passing team e.g. Swansea he'd do very well for them, but he'd struggle playing for a team of hoofers.

Fabian Delph - How you missed him out I don't know :pp Easily the best player in League One.

·
Fourth Place Winner, April Photo Contest 2008
3,512 Posts
Tunchev Imo could easily play in the premiership team like Boro for example, he's definitely better than the likes of chris riggot.

·
0-1, Huth.
6,070 Posts
Haha, I completely forgot about Tunchev. I didn't even look at our team when thinking about who could play at a higher level. Most of our team could play at Championship level at the very least.

Aleksander Tunchev - Premiership
Jack Hobbs - Championship
Matt Oakley - Championship
Joe Mattock - Championship
Andy King - Championship
Matty Fryatt - Championship

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
TBh, that list I never completed and I only got through a few clubs.

I am not too sure on Joe Lewis to be honest. He knows how to use his height very well and he is a strong natural stopper but when I have seen him play his distribution has been average and he has been slow off the line.

Of all the Peterborough players, George Boyd has impressed me the most. I don't know why he isn't at a higher level. Super smart and a brilliant attacking weapon. He is technically awesome and he is like a Brazilian in my opinion. A real victim of the youth system.

Aaron McClean is another good player but possibly this level is best for him. He is a physical freak. So strong, fit, fast and good in air, while his goal scoring rate is brilliant.

Mackail Smith hasn't impressed me massively. He is very athletic but his technique is poor.

I will post my thoughts on the Leicester, Leeds and Hartlepools strongest players on the weekend

·
0-1, Huth.
6,070 Posts
Do you know anything about Anthony Pilkington? He can play anywhere across the midfield - Right Mid, Left Mid, Attacking Mid. Comfortable with both feet and is definitely capable of doing it at a higher level.

Huddersfield got a real gem on their hands. And whilst he was at Stockport, they were the biggest one-man team I had ever seen.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
tbh Jibril hasn't impressed me much at all when I have seen him but tbh my memory on him is vague. I will remember his name for the future.

Leicester have quite a few excellent players for the level and this is why they are doing so well.

Matt Oakley I have always liked since his Southampton days. He is the kind of player who can put his foot on the ball and slow the game down. THis is stronger at this level as I feel there are very few players with his coolness on the ball.

Steve Howard is the perfect target man. Big, strong, tough and a great header of the ball, and a very good touch for a big man as well. What he lacks in speed and perzazz, he makes up for with strength and effectiveness.

Tunchev is too good for this division. He is good in the air, strong in the tackle, good in set pieces situations and he is is also very smart. I am surprised we aren't hearing more rumours about him from clubs higher up.

Patrick Kisnorbo when fit is another too good for the division. He is your typical English fullback, big strong but he also has that very Australian never say die attitude. Kisnorbo giving his all does lead to mistakes which is why he isn't at a higher level.

Joe Mattock is definetly one for the future. He is very quick, he works hard and is very strong in the tackle. He is definetly a future premier league player.

Matty Fratt has had a great season. He is one of the more technically assured and clever strikers in the division, and this is why he has scored so many goals despite his lack of real speed or strength.

The obvious stars for Leeds are Fabian Delph and Jermaine Beckford although I don't think there squad is as strong as many think.

Fabian Delph is an amazing young player. He has that coolness on the ball like Oakley, yet he is only 18 or 19. He is technically very good, probably one of the best in the division. He is a real handfull, he is very quick, good in one on one situations, he can shoot well and he can also create goals. Class player.

Jermaine Beckford has a shit attitude but he is a good player. He is so fast and strong, that defenders really struggle and I think he has the best shot on him in the division. Give him space, and he will smash a shot home.

Hartlepool have three standout players, Joel Porter, Micheal Nelson and James Brown.

Joel Porter has had a good season but I feel that League one is the level for him. He is quick and very good in one on one situations, and he has been a success this season.

Nelson I like a lot. He is a no nonsense defender, who wins everything in the air as well on the floor through pure power and agression. Like Kisnorbo this does lead to mistakes though but still a good league one player.

I like James Brown as well. He is a very good dribbler as he knows how to use his body well and he has been schooled well. I also think he is one of the strongest finishers in the division. Good player who will only get better.

I just forgot I didn't remember the best player in the division, Rickie Lambert. Rickie is a Premier league player, big statement but I believe in it. He is class. Technically very good, wonderful shot, strong in the air, can create goals and he scores plenty of goals. I think his attitude and lack of pace has stopped him reaching a higher level.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I think some of the players who really have a chance of playing at a higher level are as follows...

Fryatt, Mattock... well most of the Leicester team to be fair!
Boyd, Charlie Lee, Mackail-Smith,MacClean - Posh
Delph, Bradley Johnson, maybe Jonny Howson, Beckford - Leeds
Lambert, David Pipe - Bristol Rovers
Porter (shame he's going back to Oz) - Hartlepool
Cox - Swindon
Gary Hooper, McCann - Scunny

To be honest though I think the best players i've seen against Walsall this year were Lambert, Cleverly (on loan at Leicester from Man U), Puncheon and in my opinion the best of all was Mackail-Smith. Delph was quiet when we beat them at home although he was excellent at Elland Road.

As for my club??? Maybe Anthony Gerrard in the championship. We have a fair few kids (Deeney/Nicholls/Bradley/Taundry/Smith) etc who look okay but are very raw at the moment.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts