Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
6,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Blue Millionaires or rather "Billionaires" arrive at Old Trafford with the air of an invincible side. 10 straight wins without conceding a goal is something only read in folklores but jose Mourinho has worked his wonders at Chelsea and turned them into a perfectly working winning machine. United, on the other hand, has been stopping and stuttering on their way so far and still we lack our main firepower up front in the form of Ruud van Nistelrooy.

Hence, this game gives us the perfect oppurtunity to find out where we stand at the moment. make no mistake about it, oth teams will be charged up and going for the kill. It could the semi-finals of the Crappy Cup but top players from both sides will be up for it. The dilemma for Fergie would be to decide whether to play the 4-4-2 or opt for the more solid 4-3-2-1 formation. Given that Chelsea will be playing three across their midfield, it might tempt Fergie to provide Keano and Scholes with more support in midfield and start with Fletcher. Our outstanding defensive record has largely been sue to the success of this trio in dominating the midfield though they will have a tough battle aginst the likes of Lampard, Makelele and Smertin or Tiago.

Whichever team comes out top in this battle will in all likelihood win the match. Up front Drogba will prove to be a nuisance though Rio and micky should be able to handle him. Its the pace of Robeen and Duff that worries me cause either Phil or Gary neville do not like fast players running at them with the ball. Hence, it's imperative that our wingers in the form of Ronaldo and Giggs or Rooney keep the Chelsea fullbacks busy all night long so that the wide players are forced to drop back and defend. in other words, attack should be the best form of defense and especially with the midfield trio provinding ample support to the centerbacks during breakaways.

Should be a cracking game with the Old Trafford faithfuls turning up the volume a notch and perhaps for once Mourinho would have to give his post-match interview as a losing manager!

·
Welcome To Jamrock
9,729 Posts
2-1 Man Utd.

Man Utd always seem to stop unbeaten runs ;)

·
Registered
6,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think Mourinho would lose less sleep if he lost this one than the FA Cup. he still won't be able to sleep for a week or so but still less comparatively!:D

·
Registered
897 Posts
This may only be the League Cup but this match is as much about getting a psychological advantage over Chelsea as getting to a cup final. Chelsea are on a high at the minute, like Arsenal were when they went on their unbeaten run. If we beat them we can maybe dent their confidence and put a few doubts in their heads. The team will have the boost of beating Chelsea, thus preventing them from winning one cup at least, and having the bonus of being in a cup final and therefore giving us a good chance of at least winning one piece of silverware this season. The league is looking increasingly like it's a foregone conclusion, and the Champions League tie against Milan will be a very tough game. For the new players like Heinze, Rooney, Smith and Saha (who was cup tied and so missed out on the F.A. cup final victory) as well as for the rest of the squad I think it would be a big boost going in to the final months of the season with a cup final to look forward to.

·
Registered
4,578 Posts
should be a real cracker...Shaf summed it up perfectly: its hugely important our wingers do their bit...with ronaldo hittin some sort of form on the right, that may be the crucial card if it means that their left wing (robben included) cant burst through all the time...

on form and paper they look the stronger team..but im optimistic about this one and so ill go for a 2-1 win for united

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Although i dont really care that much about this competition, i would still like us to beat Chelsea.

So im gonna say a 2-1 victory for the Reds at home... Smith getting one, and Saha the other!

·
Registered
9,325 Posts
I agree with the people who said that this is an important game. I dont really care about the League Cup but if we win, it will dent Chelsea's confidence and maybe even give our players a confidence boost. I also agree that the new players need some sort of silverware to keep them hungry for next year. Its gonna be a tough game, but I am confident of getting a positive result. Like most of you I think we are gonna win 2-1.

·
Registered
6,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Anybody remember what happened to Arsenal after they lost at Old Trafford.

A defeat on such a huge ocassion can have repercussions well beyond actually thought.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
does anyone knows the line up?

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I think we can sneak a 1-0 win.

Maybe then, teams will find out how to stop Chelsea? :D

I don't expect Roy Keane to start tonight considering our opposition over the weekend.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
bill_stamper_88 said:
Keano is suspended for the weekend F.A. Cup tie against 'borough and we don't play the Arse till next tuesday so I expect him to start.
I didn't know that :yuck:

If so, then...

Keano to get his 50th goal! :cool:

·
Registered
6,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It'll b most likely be Keano-Scholes-EDD with Fletch being rested for the FA Cup.

·
Registered
15,634 Posts
Shaf said:
It'll b most likely be Keano-Scholes-EDD with Fletch being rested for the FA Cup.
It would be stupid starting with EDD. Id rather even have Phil there in the centre of the 3 man midfield than EDD. Another candidate who fergie might start there, is Fortune.

If Fergie plays a good team, and does not start rejects, just so they get a game, we can win and should win considering we are at home, but I expect a team filled with EDD, Fortune and Bellion :wallbang:

·
Registered
6,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Actually you put forward a good point Drito.

Fortune has ended up playing in center midfield in the last couple of matches and Fergie might be tempted to start with him. certainly would do a better job than EDD.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Pulling a win over chelski tonight will be a massive psychologic blow to Mourinho, but will be an even bigger boost for man utd. It is only the league cup, but looking at the team fielded in the 1st leg, i think they are taking this competition as serious as any other.

However gets the first goal will have a massive advantage, and i dont see this becoming a high scoring match.

I think we can do it, 1-0 to united.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Manchester United and Chelsea go head-to-head at Old Trafford with a Carling Cup final date with Liverpool the prize for the victors.
After a goalless draw at Stamford Bridge, two of the best defences in the country will be thoroughly examined by some of Europe's top attackers in what should be a fascinating contest, live on Sky Sports 1.
Arjen Robben returns for the visitors after being suspended for the first leg and defender Robert Huth is also in the squad.
Jose Mourinho is without Scott Parker and Ricardo Carvalho but the Portuguese boss will select a strong side with the first of four trophies available for The Blues moving within touching distance.
Carlo Cudicini is expected to keep his place in goal as he has been preferred in this competition.
Chelsea have a good record at Old Trafford but Sir Alex Ferguson is unbeaten in domestic semi-finals since taking charge of The Red Devils.
The United chief welcomes Alan Smith back into the fold after his ankle injury and, despite promising a couple of changes, the Scot is likely to field a powerful starting XI.
Darren Fletcher is an absentee after hurting his ankle against Aston Villa, which could excuse a starting spot for skipper Roy Keane, even though the Irishman has yet to figure in the Carling Cup this term.
Ferguson has hinted Louis Saha, John O'Shea, Wes Brown, Quinton Fortune and Smith will all be involved.
"It is a temptation to play a strong team," said Ferguson. "I'm giving it serious consideration."
If the scores are level after 90 minutes, the tie will go into extra time. Away goals will only count after the additional 30 minutes, which could be of benefit to Chelsea.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts