Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
6,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after the Exeter debacle, Fergie might be tempted to give some of the regular starters a go but I would resist the temptation. Our reserves have got us where we are now and it would be unfair on the lot if the first teamers return to the side just because its Chelski we are up against. Besides, we have an important game against the Scousers in the weekend and I'd rather concentrate on that than the crappy Cup.

Mourinho have been fielding his best XI during the entire competition and expect to see Lampard, Drogba, Robben and Duff to start tonight. With the squad at his disposal, Jose can very well afford to do that though his mind could also be distracted by the difficult away tie against Spurs on Saturday.

This game could turn out to be a weird encounter with neither team going for the kill considering that there is a return leg on the way though Fergie's priority should be to limit the appearance of the first teamers as much as posible with injury cutting through our squad at the moment. Howard gets another chance to redeem himself while the likes of Phizza, EDD and Bellion will get plenty of game time for sure. I hope to see Jonesy getting at least an hr on the pitch though I wonder whether ferfie will be prepared for that. We have nothing to lose in this competition and giving a run-out to the youngsters would only benefit the club in the long run.:)

·
Registered
15,634 Posts
Fergie said he won't play Pique and Spector as they are too inexperienced. But god he has to start Jonesy......

..........Scholes
Jones..............Fletcher

This central midfield would do well for us today. But expect Phizza or Djemba instead of Jones:(

·
Registered
6,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The back four wuld be sth like this....

Phizza----Brown(if fit)----Micky----O'Shea

We have very little option upfront than to play Smith ahead of Bellion who frankly would not even get a sniff against the well marshalled Chelsea defense. If Fergie employs the 4-3-2-1 formation then Richardson and Bellion could start or even young Eagles on the wings.

Its anybody's guess.

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
what happened to Rooney, Ronaldo and Saha ? i thought they had a chance in this game.

tbh, i'll be gutted if Fergie puts out a second string, i was looking forward to this game but it will be pony if you play people like Bellion and Djemba. :depress:

·
Registered
15,634 Posts
****in bollocks.....Djemba ahead of Jones who aint even on the bench.
Fortune ahead of Smithy, is shite too.
The midfield would be way better if it was like this:

Smithy Fletcher Jones Ronaldo

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
---------Howard--------------

P.Nev--Mik---O'Shea---Heinze

Ron----Fletch--Djemba--Fortune

--------Rooney----------------

-----------------Saha---------

Good line-up IMO. Disappointing that Jones isn't playing today (shock rest for Liverpool??), but to be fair it's stronger than expected.

It's more of a 4-4-2, so we'd have to play somebody like Djemba in the holding role. Obviously, he's been a huge let-down for us - I think this is last chance saloon for him.

Silvestre and Heinze are both shock inclusions.

Fletch and Ronaldo always link up well together....And Rooney and Saha starting together should cause their defence some trouble.

·
Registered
15,634 Posts
Lol if Jonesy was being rested for Liverpool I will be over the moon. But if not, I am pissed at fergie, as he praised him, and then does not even put him on the bench for this reject cup.
But Fortune aint good enough and he is gonna get outplayed. Id have prefered Ronaldo and Smithy on the wings, as we would be good in attack, while Fortune will suck and will just defend the whole game.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Drito said:
Lol if Jonesy was being rested for Liverpool I will be over the moon. But if not, I am pissed at fergie, as he praised him, and then does not even put him on the bench for this reject cup.
But Fortune aint good enough and he is gonna get outplayed. Id have prefered Ronaldo and Smithy on the wings, as we would be good in attack, while Fortune will suck and will just defend the whole game.
:D Stranger things have happened. I think Jonesy would cope well being chucked in at the deep end.

Agreed, I've never been a big fan of Quinton. He's a decent squad player, no more. Smithy would have brought more agression to the midfield and give us more of an attacking threat.

The only reasoning behind it that I could think of would be that maybe Fergie knows that Saha won't last 90mins and wants to keep Smithy on the bench to replace him?

·
Registered
15,634 Posts
That could be it, but if Saha ain't fit to last the whole 90, it would be better to bring him on off the bench. At least with tiring players, he would be kinda at the same level. While if he ain't totally fit, he is gonna suck....hopefully I am proven wrong.

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
no Scholes either ? blimey what is Fergie thinking ? trying to lull Chelsea in to a false sense of security ? :googly:

·
Registered
15,634 Posts
Its the whole 1st Chelsea team, with only Cole replacing the banned Robben.
I can see a smashing from Chelsea.

·
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌&#874
14,769 Posts
I will make a BOLD prediction

ManU 1 Chelski 1

·
Registered
6,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Can't see a smashing but disappointed to see the left side of our attack. I mean fortune?!?:wtf: It would have been understandable if O'Shea was playing as leftback and Fergie wanting to provide him cover but Heinze has been outstanding for us the entire season and Richardson or Ronaldo could have started on the left.

EDD and Fletch will have their work cut out trying to keep the Chelsea midfield trio at bay and the key would be how we utilise the ball while in possession. Chelsea will allow us plenty of time on the ball but they are an extremely organized side so our passing has to be fast and accurate. Its a two legged affair so Jose might opt to take a cautious approach so the onus will be on us to produce the play that results in goals.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
We're 9/2 on Betfair to win.

I can't remember us being bigger in the past few years.....Don't think we'll win, but I think we could get a draw tonight.

Pretty good defence. Alright midfield. Very good front two.

·
Registered
14,901 Posts
In 12. minute we have 0-0.

·
Registered
15,634 Posts
Shite ref, not giving a penalty to Saha, when he was so close to Saha. And the penalty was so obvious as he got sandwiched. :rollani:

·
Registered
15,634 Posts
The **** now books Heinze for the same kind of challenge that was on Saha, while for Saha, he just turned away.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts